Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Water divining course

• 17-04-2012 11:59pm
    Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭

hello a neighbour was talking a bout doing a water divining course and he was woundering where can they be done in ireland.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,717 ✭✭✭LostCovey

valtra8150 wrote: »
    hello a neighbour was talking a bout doing a water divining course and he was woundering where can they be done in ireland.

Isn't there two ways of looking at this:

1. It's pure bunkum (no need for a course)*

2. It's a supernatural gift bestowed upon a fortunate few by a higher power and not explained by any rational understanding of conventional science (no need for a course)

Having said that, I am sure there's a college or an IT somewhere that's looking for a nice earner to replace all the construction studies, real estate valuation and forensic science cash cows that are drying up.....

I imagine some of these cash strapped ivory towers will announce a cert, diploma, & bachelors in divining, with a Masters in finding cables & pipes to follow.

LC

* = my personal side of the fence in case you were wonderin'

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,438 ✭✭✭5live

LostCovey wrote: »

2. It's a supernatural gift bestowed upon a fortunate few by a higher power and not explained by any rational understanding of conventional science (no need for a course)

Having said that, I am sure there's a college or an IT somewhere that's looking for a nice earner to replace all the construction studies, real estate valuation and forensic science cash cows that are drying up.....

I imagine some of these cash strapped ivory towers will announce a cert, diploma, & bachelors in divining, with a Masters in finding cables & pipes to follow.

LC

I will take you on there LC. I can divine enough to find water pipes but not how deep they are. I have no idea how it works or why i am the only one in my family that is able to but there you go. I would agree with you except for the small fact that i am able to:confused:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,296 ✭✭✭leg wax

5live wrote: »
    I will take you on there LC. I can divine enough to find water pipes but not how deep they are. I have no idea how it works or why i am the only one in my family that is able to but there you go. I would agree with you except for the small fact that i am able to:confused:
    do you mind catching a electric fence wire,does the shock affect you

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,489 ✭✭✭sh1tstirrer

LostCovey wrote: »

LC

Shame on you questioning LCs wisdom.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

Guys, I thought it was all crap too, until I seen my brother do it. You either have it or you don't. No need to do a course. Just get 2 welding rods and bend them.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,570 ✭✭✭Rovi

I've seen enough divining (of wells and buried pipes/wires) over the years to accept that there's SOMETHING to it, but I'm certain that there's a scientific explanation of some sort for it.
    My money would be on electrical or magnetic fields that some people happen to be sensitive to.

leg wax wrote: »
    do you mind catching a electric fence wire,does the shock affect you
    Oh god yes i mind. Most of my fencing running at 6 at the minute so i mind it a lot:D.

Now i have never tried it but you can do it if you want....but if you catch the wire really hard it is supposed to be ok to join. I wouldnt believe it till my neighbour did it on our bounds after my cattle broke in. Still not going to try though

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 158 ✭✭Micheal H

pakalasa wrote: »
    Guys, I thought it was all crap too, until I seen my brother do it. You either have it or you don't. No need to do a course. Just get 2 welding rods and bend them.

I'm sure you might have seen some success from dowsing/divining, but the fact of the matter is that under controlled experiments it has a no better success rate than chance.

http://www.skepdic.com/dowsing.html

Anyone that's offering a course claiming to be imparting the knowledge of divining for a fee is nothing but a fraudster in my book.

Micheal H wrote: »
    Anyone that's offering a course claiming to be imparting the knowledge of divining for a fee is nothing but a fraudster in my book.

I don't believe in it, but I'm not on a campaign against it either.

My core point was that whatever your belief, Micheal H's point above stands.

It is either psychological or supernatural, either way, its not teachable.

LC

Shame on you questioning LCs wisdom.

Are you doing what it says on the tin, sh1tstirrer?

My wisdom is very questionable!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,342 ✭✭✭JohnBoy

it's an odd one.

I'd view myself as a man of science, but yet I've been shown how, and have had the rod twitch.

Not quite double blind tests admittedly, but I sure as hell wasn't consciously doing it.

years ago now since I tried it, dont know if I could figure out how to hold the rods now.

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭vcsggl

There is no scientific basis for it whatsoever! There are plenty of properly controlled blind tests and the diviners are never any better than random chance

All you ever hear about is the times when the diviner found water - nobody ever talks about the times they are wrong ( bit like faith healers and miracle cures)!!

When I had the well drilled at our place ( by Tom Briody) I asked the drillers about water diviners. Go ahead and get one they said, they're always right because no matter where you drill in Ireland you will get water, it's just a matter of how deep we have to go!! On the other hand you decide where you want the well and we'll drill it there - and you'll get all the water you want. That's what we did and we hit water at 185 feet!

Plenty of better things to spend hard earned cash on than bogus "experts" in divining.

George

Micheal H wrote: »
    I'm sure you might have seen some success from dowsing/divining, but the fact of the matter is that under controlled experiments it has a no better success rate than chance.

http://www.skepdic.com/dowsing.html

All i know is i was walking across a yard and divined water under concrete laid 40 years ago and the father said there was a pipe buried there that he had forgotten about. We followed it all the way to where it was connected (turned out it was joining 2 older pipes, still connected 20 foot from a new connection and we could never figure out why we could never turn off that section of water).

As JohnBoy said, not double blind independent testing with control groups but it works for me. And if i get results that science hasnt figured out yet well so much the better for me, being ahead of the curve.

Notification of degree courses to follow....:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,552 ✭✭✭pakalasa

I worked for a company years ago. We had about 10 identical machines side by side. On the machiness we were measuring temperature using a thermocouple, which gives out a very small millivoltage. At certain times one of the machines would start acting up with crazy readings for temperature. We swapped all the equipment from one machine to the other, the problem stayed.
    The only explanation we could come up with was -
    There was a water drain right under the machine and high tension ESB lines, right over the machines. At certain times when the ESB were transmitting power and there was water in the drain, there was a small voltage going across the machine.
    Water after all, is one of the best conductors of electricity and the human brain is a complex circuit of electrical signals.

• Registered Users Posts: 94 ✭✭roran

vcsggl wrote: »
    There is no scientific basis for it whatsoever! There are plenty of properly controlled blind tests and the diviners are never any better than random chance

All you ever hear about is the times when the diviner found water - nobody ever talks about the times they are wrong ( bit like faith healers and miracle cures)!!

When I had the well drilled at our place ( by Tom Briody) I asked the drillers about water diviners. Go ahead and get one they said, they're always right because no matter where you drill in Ireland you will get water, it's just a matter of how deep we have to go!! On the other hand you decide where you want the well and we'll drill it there - and you'll get all the water you want. That's what we did and we hit water at 185 feet!

Plenty of better things to spend hard earned cash on than bogus "experts" in divining.

George

Seems very deep to have to drill down to find water George. How deep did they drill after that for your well?
    Years ago we used a driller who told us (my ol' man) to get a diviner to locate best well. We did and found water at 30 feet. We went on to drill down to a depth of 160 ft. Are you sure you didn't hit water at less than 180? Sounds expensive to me...

On the issue on diviners, I'm 100% behind LC's views ie it's a gift ;)

• Registered Users Posts: 91 ✭✭vcsggl

Didn't have to drill beyond that point - all the water we would ever want. The house is on top of a hill - drumlin country, Co. Monaghan - so I guess we needed to get near the bottom of the hill!. Wasn't that expensive - I found that the drillers have two rates for drilling, one if you're doing it with a Council grant and one of you're paying it yourself - there's a big difference in the rates!!

George

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,287 ✭✭✭threeball

Ireland is basicly land sitting over one big lake. You could drill absolutely anywhere on your farm and you will find water. The depth and rock formation is the only thing that varies.
    Couldn't tell you how many diviners I've seen walking around saying nothing there but there is 20ft over this way. What a load of crap. Same lads claim how right they are even when the well reachs 300ft. Anyone that can sense water at 300ft should head out to Africa, he'd make a fortune.

Advertisement