Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Would the Weather play a part if.........

• 18-04-2012 1:37am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭

........you intend pulling a sickie?:D

I was wondering what type of weather would have an impact on your decision.

I love the sun,being lazy and soaking up the rays, but I hate the winter,the wind and the rain....and the Cooooold!

So, I'm torn between which season would get my vote.

Do I want to take a day off and relax in the sun, ahh the warmth of it all.:pac:

Or do I choose the rainy cold windy day, so I can look out the window while wrapped in my duvet, and watch the world go by. :)

What type of weather would convince you to take a day off?:pac:

MOD:
    Light hearted thread.

No "You're lucky to have a job"posts.

Soak up the Heat of the Sun or be Cosy in your Duvet? 12 votes

Sizzle in the Sun
    0%
    Cosy and Lovin' it.
    100%
    SeachmallYakultBraziliaNZReamer FannysaadeconduoCatxscotchJesus ShavesHenryChinaskiKKkittySmidgeseantorious 12 votes

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,425 ✭✭✭guitarzero

Domo230 wrote: »
    I don't pull sickies.

I'm honest with my employer and don't abuse their trust.

Smithers?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,806 ✭✭✭✭KeithM89_old

Dont pull sickies on hot days, youll always get some cnut spotting you out buying a 99 and blowing your cover.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 11,906 ✭✭✭✭PhlegmyMoses

Probably works in the public sector.

*runs*

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

I don't pull sickies.

I am a robot with no imagination.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

KeithM89 wrote: »
    Dont pull sickies on hot days, youll always get some cnut spotting you out buying a 99 and blowing your cover.

Yup, cold days are safest, when there's absolutely no reason to get out from under a duvet, let alone go outside and be spotted by that ass who just waits to dob people in.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭harvester of sorrow

Mind your own ****ing buisness op.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 31,859 ✭✭✭✭Sharpshooter

KeithM89 wrote: »

AHs at it's best!:D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

I just spent the winter shovelling snow, so I couldn't use the weather as an excuse then. Maybe this summer...

:(

kerry4sam wrote: »
    I've never pulled a sickie.

Either have I, but there have been times when the alarm goes off and the rain is pelting on the window I have been tempted.

Same goes for the alarm going off and the bedroom is bathed in Sunshine, and all I want to do is soak up the rays.

I can't afford to do it, but all the same I was wondering what part the weather plays in people taking days off.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Hot Lips wrote: »
    ........you intend pulling a sickie?:D

I was wondering what type of weather would have an impact on your decision.

I love the sun,being lazy and soaking up the rays, but I hate the winter,the wind and the rain....and the Cooooold!

So, I'm torn between which season would get my vote.

Do I want to take a day off and relax in the sun, ahh the warmth of it all.:pac:

Or do I choose the rainy cold windy day, so I can look out the window while wrapped in my duvet, and watch the world go by. :)

What type of weather would convince you to take a day off?:pac:

MOD:
    Light hearted thread.

No "You're lucky to have a job"posts.

One sickie is never convincing enough, always take two. I would prefer sun but rainy day, tv, fire, junk food. I must schedule a txt to my manager for the next two days :p

Probably works in the public sector.

*runs*

PS are allowed five sick days at their leisure. You are obliged to take them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,938 ✭✭✭mackg

I think the cold winter morning would sway me more simply because of the fact that when you wake in the morning and look outside on a cold rainy day it looks terrible even before you step outside your room whereas on the sunny days you're likely to be in work before it turns into a scorcher, leaving you wallowing in the regret of missed opportunities :( I know there is a weather forecast but for some reason I have always found it difficult to much faith in it.

Add into this the fact that nearly every job I've had has involved a 15 minute walk minimum to get there, on wet days I knew I was guaranteed to get soaked twice at the least for getting out of bed. Getting wet on the way home is ok because you can just jump in the shower straight away but there are few things worse than having to slowly dry off while working.

Also duvet day wins hands down if there is going to be someone else sharing the duvet with you.

hondasam wrote: »

Buddy of mine that was working in graphic design in London said in one company he was in if they weren't too busy and you were up to date with your work that now and again you could just ring in and say you were taking a duvet day. It was understood you wouldn't take the piss with it but the allowance was there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,990 ✭✭✭longshanks

Or maybe I value honesty and integrity more than what a day off work can offer me?

I am a robot, a boring boring robot.

mackg wrote: »
    Buddy of mine that was working in graphic design in London said in one company he was in if they weren't too busy and you were up to date with your work that now and again you could just ring in and say you were taking a duvet day. It was understood you wouldn't take the piss with it but the allowance was there.

I don't think these things happen in the PS any more. I never pull a sickie, have plenty of holidays and can take one at short notice if needs be.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,559 ✭✭✭cruais

Hot Lips wrote: »
    AHs at it's best!:D

I'm thinking you meant 69....

I don't think these things happen in the PS any more. I never pull a sickie, have plenty of holidays and can take one at short notice if needs be.

I think this kind of flexibility with regard to short notice holidays is the best way to avoid people pulling sickies, the worst place I have ever seen for people doing it was the place where they made the biggest song and dance about people trying to organise time off outside the pre booked holidays which were arranged months in advance. I saw times where people arranged to swap shifts for mutual benefit, went to the management to get the green light for it and were told no with no logical reason given, this is the sort of thing that leads to sick days imo.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,559 ✭✭✭Millicent

mackg wrote: »
    I think this kind of flexibility with regard to short notice holidays is the best way to avoid people pulling sickies, the worst place I have ever seen for people doing it was the place where they made the biggest song and dance about people trying to organise time off outside the pre booked holidays which were arranged months in advance. I saw times where people arranged to swap shifts for mutual benefit, went to the management to get the green light for it and were told no with no logical reason given, this is the sort of thing that leads to sick days imo.

I worked in a place where I looked to book off the weekend for a festival five months in advance. Was told no, someone else might want that day off. :confused:

I had never rang in sick in the four years before that (even when genuinely sick); given the level of respect shown to me on their end, you'd better believe I rang in sick after that.

Respect should beget respect from both sides.

Or maybe I value honesty and integrity more than what a day off work can offer me?
    cruais wrote: »
    I'm thinking you meant 69....

........when it's hot outside and I know you better I might tell you about 99.

GUYS!

This is a light hearted thread, see first post!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,761 ✭✭✭AgileMyth

I just spent the winter shovelling snow, so I couldn't use the weather as an excuse then. Maybe this summer...
    I'd imagine the snow shoveling business is quite slow at this time of year anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 239 ✭✭NiallFH

Have to be the cold day for me, going to work is just easier on a good day.

Getting up on a freezing/dull morning to leave for work is the worst

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,959 ✭✭✭Jesus Shaves

Cosy and Lovin' it.
    Soaking in the sun seeing as we rarely get the chance

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,070 ✭✭✭Birroc

I worked in a council many years ago. I was bemoaning the fact that I had no holidays left for Xmas and my manager actually asked me "how many sickdays you got left?". Those were the days...

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

Cosy under duvet.
    You can always get another sunny day but never get back lost sleep.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,341 ✭✭✭Archeron

Another vote for the cold miserable day for me. Spend 5 minutes practicing your sick voice, then ideally ring the boss and get his voicemail, leaving a message that makes it sound like your head has fallen off, then crawl back into bed and make that weird "rrrrrrrr" noise that cats make when they are really comfortable.

Followed by a nice fried breakfast at around noon, and crap telly all afternoon.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

I don't pull sickies.

Ahahaha, you're a great kidder, you.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

I don't pull sickies.

:pac: good 1

My boss is a bit of a Cnut and always seems to know what I'm doing no matter where I hide.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,439 ✭✭✭SunnyDub1

oooh that's a tuffy...

It's like this for me..

Cold,wet,horrible day - go into work do your day then really look forward to curling up in front of the fire with a duvet when your home :)

Sunny,hot day - enjoy the sun glazing down on you while driving into work, enjoy lunch outside in the sun, every one is always in good mood. then look forward to the sun shinning down when driving home and a nice long walk on the beach with the dog :)

Doesn't really bother me working either day...

Although today looks like is one of them duvet days

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 5,671 ✭✭✭BraziliaNZ

Cosy and Lovin' it.
    well as we only get about 5 days a year when it's sunny and over 20c or so I'd go for the sunny days if I lived in Ireland!
    The way I look at it, you're better off at work on the horrible winter days, I get depressed lying around the house on those days. On a nice day you can enjoy the outdoors.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,547 ✭✭✭Agricola

I don't pull sickies.

I used to know a lot of people like you in a company I worked for. A profitable, well run organisation that was a model of efficiency. Then their UK based overlords pulled the plug on the Irish operation and dropped 600 odd people on the scrapheap in order to simply maximise profits. That day I was very glad that I always used my full quota of non-documented sickies while I worked for that shower of cnunts! :)

+1

If I had to work with ye I'd pull a sickie every day. Smile ye will live longer :pac:

Advertisement