Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Declaring purchases

Options
  • 18-04-2012 1:38am
    Registered Users Posts: 10

Heading to the US for a J1 this summer and was hoping on picking up a couple of bits for a custom PC build. Will I get stung for tax when I come back through Dublin airport?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭silja

If it is for your own PC, no. If you buy enough for a few PCs, yes.

• Registered Users Posts: 10 CapricornOneSE

It will simply be for a personal build. Cpu and mobo! Do I need to declare it? Heard stories of people taking new stuff (laptops) out the box to be safe. Not really practical with hardware though is it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

To be honest you wont save much doing this as pc prices as far as I have seen have equalized across the pond and here.

You have to remember prices you see are without vat and that it get's added on at checkout.

2500k CPU in the US link is 219 dollars without tax

(219 / 100) * 120 = 262.8USD which is circa 200 euros.

2500k in the EU link 188 euro.

That was just a quick example and prices may vary greatly in places but as you can see you are probably better off just getting your stuff here :)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

silja wrote: »
    If it is for your own PC, no. If you buy enough for a few PCs, yes.
    you sure? I was under the impression that once you spend over a certain amount then you must pay duty on it when bringing it into the state. hence why people take the tags of cloths they buy in the US or dispose of the boxes and post manuals home for electrical goods like ipods and camras etc
    Traveling with your purchases

From outside the EU

You can buy and bring your goods (other than tobacco and alcohol products) from a non-EU State into Ireland without incurring any taxes, if the value of your goods does not exceed:

€430 in the case of an individual aged 15 years or over
    €215 in the case of an individual aged under 15 years.

Anything in excess of the amounts shown above will be liable for VAT and customs duty.

taken from here

• Registered Users Posts: 10 CapricornOneSE

Faolchu wrote: »
    you sure? I was under the impression that once you spend over a certain amount then you must pay duty on it when bringing it into the state. hence why people take the tags of cloths they buy in the US or dispose of the boxes and post manuals home for electrical goods like ipods and camras etc

taken from here

Is that combined value?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,056 ✭✭✭maggy_thatcher

Is that combined value?

Yes. Also, if I recall correctly, if a single item is greater than that amount, you have to pay duty on the full amount, not just on the "excess".

• Registered Users Posts: 1,740 ✭✭✭Faolchu

couldn't tell you for certain, but i'm fairly certain it is. just like when you order online you can only order so much before being stung. best thing to do is drop citizens info a call they'll be able to clarify for you

Advertisement