Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Which SSD ?

Options
  • 18-04-2012 8:28am
    Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭

Hi Guys.

I am trying to build/mod a system for the first time. Its not as easy as i thought. Anyways, i am thinking of getting a new SSD as my OS hard disk. I currently have 2 hard disks worth 1.5 GB (altogether). So i dont need anything more than 128 GB on my SSD. I will only be using the SSD to install the OS ( for faster boot) and maybe install some of the common games that i play. Now the only problem is, i dont know much about SSD drives. I tried reading a few reviews and the OCZ vertex 2 have got my attention. What is your opinion on it?

http://solid-state-drive-review.toptenreviews.com/ocz-vertex-2-review.html

Is there any other SSD worth mentioning? ( i dont want to spend too much money either). Any help will be appreciated. Also, what is the best(online or brick and mortar) place to buy SSD's?

Regards

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 22,929 ✭✭✭✭ShadowHearth

Crucial m4. Best ratio of speed/reliability.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

I went with the M4
    http://forums.overclockers.co.uk/showthread.php?t=18368624Conclusion

"So what SSD is best for you?

Are you a soul gamer or do you like to take a moment with some photo or video editing as well?

Heres the OcUK "What to buy" based on budget and what you get for your money!

True Gamer!

Budget: Kingston V+ 200 or Force 3 (Agility 3, Adata S510 also fit this level)
    Better: Adata S511, M4, Performance Pro
    Best: Vertex 3, HyperX, Intel 520series

Multi tasker!

Budget: Adata S510, V+200, Force 3
    Better: Vertex 3, Intel 520 Series, Adata S511
    Best: Performance Pro, M4

Gamer and Multi tasker!

Budget: V+200
    Better: Vertex 3, Intel 520 Series
    Best: M4, Performance Pro

Overall

True Gamer: Intel 520 Series
    Multi Tasker: Performance Pro
    Gamer and Multi Tasker: M4"

• Registered Users Posts: 271 ✭✭stevenf17

Yeah crucial m4 is the best for your money at the moment!

btw, the Vertex 2 is over 2 years old at this stage (vertex 4 is just about to be released) and has had plenty of its own problems in the past!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,191 ✭✭✭uncle_sam_ie

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

odd little thing that OC UK recommendation...thing.

forget marketing malarky of ocz and their speeds. I wouldn't trust my data on their drives. reliability is where its at with an SSD, and the best guys are Intel/Samsung/crucial (in that order). they're more reliable and will out live the HDDs in your PC unless you're one of the 0.1% who get a dud.

Intel drives are pricey though. get a crucial m4, or if you want to splash a bit more, the Samsung 830 :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 693 ✭✭✭Gyck

I switched to a 64GB m4 in January. Nice and quick and as noted nice and cheap. Very happy with it so far.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 114 ✭✭armitage_skanks

What about the new Intel 330?

Im thinking of a 128GB M4 and the Intel seems similarly priced. Do you think it will offer any speed/reliability advantages?

• Registered Users Posts: 609 ✭✭✭jmx009

Thanks for all the help guys. Much appreciated. I think i will buy the Crucual M4 then.

What about the new Intel 330?

Im thinking of a 128GB M4 and the Intel seems similarly priced. Do you think it will offer any speed/reliability advantages?
    good point! forgot about that one launching. the 120gb 330 can be got for ~€155, almost identical in price to the Samsung 830 128gb. Intel comes with a 3 year warranty and 3000 write cycles, which is the equivalent of writing 120gb to it every day for 8 years.

Samsung also has a 3 year warranty, slightly lower advertised read/write speeds, but much higher IOPS and everything is in-house design, from flash to controller.

flip a coin really. I'll stick with my Samsung though ;)

Tea_Bag wrote: »
    good point! forgot about that one launching. the 120gb 330 can be got for ~€155, almost identical in price to the Samsung 830 128gb. Intel comes with a 3 year warranty and 3000 write cycles, which is the equivalent of writing 120gb to it every day for 8 years.

Samsung also has a 3 year warranty, slightly lower advertised read/write speeds, but much higher IOPS and everything is in-house design, from flash to controller.

flip a coin really. I'll stick with my Samsung though ;)

120GB Intel 330 is £110 on Amazon so more like €135. About the same as the Crucial M4 I think.

I suppose the Intel is to new to talk about reliability yet, maybe i'll just go for the tried & tested M4

• Advertisement

120GB Intel 330 is £110 on Amazon so more like €135. About the same as the Crucial M4 I think.

I suppose the Intel is to new to talk about reliability yet, maybe i'll just go for the tried & tested M4
    where?

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Intel-Series-120GB-Solid-State/dp/B007P3RMLU/ref=sr_1_1?ie=UTF8&qid=1334765570&sr=8-1

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭kilianmanning

Tea_Bag wrote: »

You can buy it off amazon themselves for £109 but its currently out of stock.

guys, one more question.

Why is everyone on this forum reccomending hardwareversand.de .I was looking at the price of the M4 and i found that there are other websites like amazon selling it for a lot cheaper (with free delivery). I noticed the same trend on some other items too. Am i missing out on something?

jmx009 wrote: »
    guys, one more question.

Why is everyone on this forum reccomending hardwareversand.de .I was looking at the price of the M4 and i found that there are other websites like amazon selling it for a lot cheaper (with free delivery). I noticed the same trend on some other items too. Am i missing out on something?
    Buying individual items is cheaper elsewhere, because of flat 19eu delivery charge, but of you are doing a full build them hardwareversand is cheaper. A lot of the stuff is way cheaper in that German website m8.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,414 ✭✭✭Fluffy88

HWVS (or any other supplier) won't and can't be the cheapest option for every component all the time, it's just impossible because of sales, cheaper stock, etc....

The main reason HWVS is used here so much is because it's price will always be very competitive even if it's not the cheapest we can rely on them to have good prices without having to spend hours browsing through hundreds of online retailers to find the best price.

If you have the time and motivation you can and will definitely be able to put together a build from other sites that will be cheaper than HWVS but next week those prices could have changed and you will have to start the search again.

EDIT: OT, I have found dabs.ie to be one of the best places for SSD's

I dont mean to unnecessarily bump this thread as you have already answered my question but i just found this on one of the websites. I know its no crucial m4 or the new intel 330's but its very cheap
    http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/11199755/art/ocz/vertex-plus-series-2-5-in.html

I also found this but i dont think its very good. However if anybody is looking for a cheap SSD then here ya go

http://www.pixmania.ie/ie/uk/11474348/art/ocz/petrol-internal-ssd-128-g.html

As for myself, i am waiting for the reviews for the new intel 330's to come in. Like somebody pointed out earlier, the price on both the intel 330's and the m4 are pretty much the same. So i will make up my mind once i read a few reviews.

Advertisement