Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Training - North Dublin

• 18-04-2012 8:58am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭

I have my learner permit, I dont need to do the IBT. I don't have a bike yet. I don't really want to buy one for a few months but I am going to go ahead and try to get my full license. I have a full car license and a couple of years experience on scooters.

I was onto Airport Driving School in finglas. They are charging €65 per hour for tuition. I'll need a few hours of that obviously but I don't think they rent bikes out just for people to practice on though. Is there anywhere that does this?

How many hours tuition would you say I'd need, the main thing I need to learn and practice is the mechanics of using the gears. Also is €65 an hour about average?

All advice welcome... thanks

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 3,808 ✭✭✭FatherLen

i would say doing lessons alone is not enough practice before going for the full exam.
    I think bike rentals are fairly expensive. my advise would be to buy one and practice driving for a couple of months.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

I'm sending you a PM with contact details of a guy who might be able to help. He's an ADI and supplies bikes for lessons and IBT. Best of luck.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,674 ✭✭✭Faith+1

StaggerLee wrote: »
    I was onto Airport Driving School in finglas. They are charging €65 per hour for tuition. I'll need a few hours of that obviously but I don't think they rent bikes out just for people to practice on though. Is there anywhere that does this?

Please stay away from them.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,005 ✭✭✭JH_raheny

65 an hour is an absolute rip-off, even if they supplied a bike for the lessons it would still be the higher end -
    besides that I wouldn't touch airport driving school

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

You also need to do the mock test too,after taking several lessons..

This really opens your eyes,when you think you know what you are doing and will pass the bike test with no problems..

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Dave Lyons will sort you out

Top guy

http://www.motorbiketraining.net/

I was the same as yourself with a few years on scooters
    And then I did my training and passed my A test in Raheny on the school bike before buying my own. This is common, lots pass their test first

Dave does training in Wicklow and Dublin

JH_raheny wrote: »
    65 an hour is an absolute rip-off, even if they supplied a bike for the lessons it would still be the higher end -
    besides that I wouldn't touch airport driving school

Why wouldnt you touch Airport Driving School?

Have you ever been for a riding tuition with them and used their bikes?

They use BMW G650 bikes for their training bikes.

mikemac1 wrote: »

Top guy

And then I did my training and passed my A test in Raheny on the school bike before buying my own. This is common, lots pass their test first

The bike test isnt done in Raheny,not that Im aware of anyway.

Its done with the RSA test centre in Finglas (Jamestown Industrial Estate).

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Ah it's about five or six years since I did it

Was Raheny back then, that's all

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

paddy147 wrote: »
    Why wouldnt you touch Airport Driving School?

Have you ever been for a riding tuition with them and used their bikes?

They use BMW G650 bikes for their training bikes.

I'd be interested in knowing why Airport driving school is a no go too. They are very pushy in terms of sales, they were nearly out at my house, trying to get me on one of their G650s. Anyway, I'll probably look elsewhere.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,073 ✭✭✭Xios

mikemac1 wrote: »

Top guy

I'd recommend this fella too, helped me pass my test first time.

Granted I did have nearly 2 years road experience, but had never taken any lessons.

Yeah, David Lyons is the man. Passed my test first time with only a months training. You'll learn on a CBF250, great bike to start out on and to do your test with.

Price wise he's very reasonable.

StaggerLee wrote: »
    I'd be interested in knowing why Airport driving school is a no go too. They are very pushy in terms of sales, they were nearly out at my house, trying to get me on one of their G650s. Anyway, I'll probably look elsewhere.

Put it this way, If the school was that good they wouldn't need to be pushy to get your custom. A good school/instructor gets most of their clients from word of mouth.

The only word for Airport is "AVOID".

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Put it this way, If the school was that good they wouldn't need to be pushy to get your custom. A good school/instructor gets most of their clients from word of mouth.

The only word for Airport is "AVOID".

So you are putting down a company when you havent ever had any experience with them or availied of their services.

You are simply jumping on a stupid trivial bandwagon and mouthing off to defame a company,for no reason.

So you are putting down a company when you havent ever had any experience with them or availied of their services.

You are simply jumping on a stupid trivial bandwagon and mouthing off to defame a company,for no reason.

Did you ask me if I took lessons with them? No you didn't. Never assume anything about me.

As a matter of fact I did take lessons with them, 3 to be precise. Useless, money grabbing, SOB's is an understatement to the company.

So, as a previous customer to Airport Driving School I am in a position to voice my opinion about thier school. Whether the OP decides to give them his hard earned cash is his business but he has been warned.

Faith+1 wrote: »
    Did you ask me if I took lessons with them? No you didn't. Never assume anything about me.

As a matter of fact I did take lessons with them, 3 to be precise. Useless, money grabbing, SOB's is an understatement to the company.

So, as a previous customer to Airport Driving School I am in a position to voice my opinion about thier school. Whether the OP decides to give them his hard earned cash is his business but he has been warned.

Isnt it absolutely amazing that only now do you claim that you took 3 lessons with them,after my post to you.

How amazing is that then?

So who was your bike instructor then??

Isnt it absolutely amazing that only now do you claim that you took 3 lessons with them,after my post to you.

How amazing is that then?

So who was your bike instructor then??

Isn't it just super amazing Paddy especially when you never asked me and you claimed that I never had any experience with them or availed of their services , you just assumed. So of course I'm going to reply to you, You replied to my post when I had no dealings with you in the first place.

I had lessons with Colm. Any other questions?? It was a sunny day on the first lesson, drizzly the next and I think it was overcast on the 3rd lesson....
    My blood type is A+, I work for DCC, I like rock music....Anything else you want to know or do you want to assume the rest??
    This is all very Amazing stuff isn't Paddy!?

• Registered Users Posts: 13 Scottie Dundee

I did my IBT test with Peter Bookey at Aaron Rider Training in Finglas last week. €500 euros including bike, insurance etc. He was a great instructor. I'm glad I didn't try to share the training as I honestly believe that it wouldn't have been as in-depth. A lot of what I learned was common sense....but I didn't know it!! I hate the idea of paying that amount of money but I wouldn't advise automatically going for the cheapest without checking out what you're sacrificing in quality.

• Registered Users Posts: 183 ✭✭Pipz

I just did my IBT with Peter Bookey this weekend, and the training was absolutely top notch. He's been riding bikes for years, is one of the top qualified instructors in the country and is actually interested in the safety of people on bikes, not like some of the other schools who may be cheaper, but all they're looking to do is shove people out on the road.

I did a module with the ISM and repeated it with Peter and the ISM didn't have a patch on him. Sacrificing a lot of quality just to get a cheaper price isnt the way to go.

Peter will sort you out, even if it's just a short course you need to do. Give him a ring and have a chat about it. His number is 086 173 9654

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,340 ✭✭✭Please Kill Me

I did my IBT test with Peter Bookey at Aaron Rider Training in Finglas last week....
    Pipz wrote: »
    I just did my IBT with Peter Bookey this weekend, and the training was absolutely top notch....

Peter is top class at what he does. Nice bloke too!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 533 ✭✭✭StaggerLee

Peter is top class at what he does. Nice bloke too!

Thanks for the feedback everyone. I'll pick one of the ones recommended.

• Registered Users Posts: 1 tpogculture

Just finished my IBT with Peter at Aaron Rider Training. 500 Euro for the two days including School Bike and Insurance. They also do bring a friend rates but as a nearly "ould lad" all my mates have been on bikes for years.

Absolutely fantastic experience, great trainer and a sound bloke. No idea how he can instill so much knowledge, awareness and confidence in two days but he can! Had a class two days and would recommend Peter for any training needs with no hesitation,the great back to school weather didn't hurt either!

I'll be going back for my pre-test as soon as I can.

Cheers.

Advertisement