Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Parish Records

• 18-04-2012 10:16am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭

Excuse my ignorance on this but I'm just wondering do most parishes have baptismal & wedding records dating back to the early 1800's?

My wife is trying to compile her family tree and has traced as far as her great great grandfather. She knows his name and approx year of birth of 1838 (based on 1901 census), and also his wife and her maiden name. The problem is we don't think he was born in the area that the family grew up in and think he may have moved to the area.

Would the old wedding records have any information on where the groom would have come from?

Or should the local parish have records so we can see if he was baptised there or not? (Assuming then if he wasn't that we are correct in thinking he moved to the area in later years).

Any advice appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 6,690 Mod ✭✭✭✭pinkypinky

It totally depends on the area, and religion. Also, if they were married after 1864, there should be a civil cert (or if protestant, from 1845).

If it's Dublin, there's a good chance records will exist, but if you don't know the parish, it'll be difficult to find him.

Are you aware of irishgenealogy.ie which has a lot of free parish records? http://www.rootsireland.ie/ is not free but also has a lot of records.

If you are happy to share names, dates, etc, we might be able to give you more specific information and point you in the right direction.

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,777 ✭✭✭shanew

The dates available for parishes vary quite a bit - most RC parishes were keeping written records by the 1830s, but quite few dont start until later - you have to check for each area.

Parishes in towns and cities generally have older records.

The details on early parish marriage records (i.e. pre 1864) is usually quite basic - i.e. date of marriage, names of the bride & groom, names of two witnesses and sometimes current places of residence for the bride and groom.

Civil marriage records (from 1864 for RC marriage or from 1845 for other marriages) include a bit more details - e.g. occupations and father's names.

Shane

There should be some kind of smiley response beside the "thanks" button. :D

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,361 ✭✭✭Itsdacraic

Thanks for that. Great information.

The area is in Limerick county, I don't think that is available yet on irishgenealogy.ie?
    Doesn't sound like the marriage cert would give me much more information than what I already have so I might concentrate on trying to get the baptism cert so.

It's a very common name which doesn't help things!

the witnesses can be a help - they can be siblings or other relations..

Transcripts for many RC parishes in Co. Limerick are on the pay-site at - RootsIreland, but without a location it could be an expensive search.

You can check RC parishes and dates available on the IrishTimes website

West Limerick : http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/browse/counties/rcmaps/limerickwrc.htm
    East Limerick : http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/browse/counties/rcmaps/limerickerc.htm

Shane

• Advertisement

the marriage record may mention current residences for the bride and groom - so I think it's worth a try...

Marriages usually took place in the bride's parish, so the groom's residence might be recorded if he was living outside the parish, so could help you track him.

Shane

shanew wrote: »
    the witnesses can be a help - they can be siblings or other relations..

Transcripts for many RC parishes in Co. Limerick are on the pay-site at - RootsIreland, but without a location it could be an expensive search.

You can check RC parishes and dates available on the IrishTimes website

West Limerick : http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/browse/counties/rcmaps/limerickwrc.htm
    East Limerick : http://www.irishtimes.com/ancestor/browse/counties/rcmaps/limerickerc.htm

Shane

Cheers, that's very useful.

According to the Irish Times site, this place

http://www.limerickgenealogy.com/

Has the baptismal records for the parish dating back to 1829, so we should easily be able to find out whether he was baptised there in the period around 1838. It should also give extra details on his wife as I'm pretty sure she was from the area.

Even if it turns out he is not from that area originally, I have an area I suspect he may have come from so can try that then next.

That's a great help.

Thanks

the organization that runs that website is part of the IFHF (Irish Family History Foundation) / RootsIreland

S.

shanew wrote: »
    the organization that runs that website is part of the IFHF (Irish Family History Foundation) / RootsIreland

S.

Is that a good or bad thing :D

Sorry again if this is a stupid question but would prisons from that period have kept much records that are still in existence today?

I have a feeling one of my relatives was executed in Limerick prison in 1848, and it would be great if prison records from the time still existed? Probably a longshot.

• Advertisement

just that it's the pay website mentioned earlier

they have transcripts of records - but you pay for each search, as well as to view each record.

If you can get to the National Library you can browse images of the registers - might be a good way to search if you need to follow various possible families in the area

S.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 470 ✭✭CeannRua

Itsdacraic wrote: »
    Sorry again if this is a stupid question but would prisons from that period have kept much records that are still in existence today?

I have a feeling one of my relatives was executed in Limerick prison in 1848, and it would be great if prison records from the time still existed? Probably a longshot.

There are some prison records on www.findmypast.ie. I haven't used them so don't know exactly what they have. Also, there are some Irish newspapers on www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk. Try filtering for the Cork Examiner which is definitely there for 1848 and the Freeman's Journal which I think is there. I think they have a Belfast newspaper as well. You get a few free image views when you register as a user.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,711 ✭✭✭Waitsian

CeannRua wrote: »
    There are some prison records on www.findmypast.ie.

I can look up your relative on findmypast.ie if you wish. Just PM me the name and I'll check. Although as CeannRua said, a newspaper from the time would be a great resource.

Thanks lads, I have a few newspaper cuttings of the case, but what we am looking for is confirmation of his fathers name or possibly other siblings, so we can tie it into the existing family.

The newspapers don't give any extra details, so that's why I was thinking prison records might have a "next of kin" or similar on them.

Prison records do have next of kin on them so worth a shot. I also have a membership and have found several ancestors "by accident!" Seems to me nearly everyone in Ireland was arrested for having a minor fight or being drunk at one stage. I don't know whether it says more about our national stereotype or how strict laws were!

Genealogy Forum Mod

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,108 ✭✭✭pedroeibar1

Execution was by hanging - have a look at the list here http://www.capitalpunishmentuk.org/ir1835.html
    If you find him featured here there most likely would be a write-up in the local paper - the Limerick Chronicle is your best bet.

Just to let you know, thanks to another thread I read on here I checked out those Griffiths Valuations and that shows the family did live in area around the time the great great grandfather was born, which complicates things as for other story about the relatives to check out then there shouldn't really have been any record of them in the area at that time, unless they just moved there during the valuation.

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 11,439 Mod ✭✭✭✭Hermy

CeannRua wrote: »
    Also, there are some Irish newspapers on www.britishnewspaperarchive.co.uk.

I hadn't used this site yet so thanks for the link - it's proved useful.:)

Genealogy Forum Mod

Just to let you know, thanks to another thread I read on here I checked out those Griffiths Valuations and that shows the family did live in area around the time the great great grandfather was born, which complicates things as for other story about the relatives to check out then there shouldn't really have been any record of them in the area at that time, unless they just moved there during the valuation.

It doesn't seem very likely that they moved into the area, away from and back there again. Keep in mind that your received information may not be correct.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    It doesn't seem very likely that they moved into the area, away from and back there again. Keep in mind that your received information may not be correct.

Sorry, I think you picked me up wrong. Not saying they were in the area and went away and came back.

Just that they are existing in the area earlier than I expected them to be and that doesn't fit in with the family folklore!

• Advertisement

Ah right, that makes more sense. But I stand by my point. Facts get twisted over time and unless you have documentary evidence, you can't take received knowledge as fact.

It's a bit like being sure your family always spelled their name Lacey only to discover direct ancestors spelling it Lacy.

Genealogy Forum Mod

pinkypinky wrote: »
    Ah right, that makes more sense. But I stand by my point. Facts get twisted over time and unless you have documentary evidence, you can't take received knowledge as fact.

It's a bit like being sure your family always spelled their name Lacey only to discover direct ancestors spelling it Lacy.

Oh I agree fully, as I discovered just today. I only discovered thanks to the Griffith Evaluation that an area that is now just a townland in a big parish, was once a standalone parish, hence why I wasn't able to find the information I was looking for!

Advertisement