Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Shooting - an Irish Perspective. New raw website gone live.

Options
  • 18-04-2012 10:27am
    Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭

Here's a new website, still a bit raw, from the Irish perspective. Shows you how to fill in the FCA1 license form and there are also plenty of video's.
    It's my H.BSc college multimedia project.

I've made a DVD as well of the complete project. 5 free copies, post paid, going to the first 5 PM's requesting a copy. But only if you have looked though the website.
    Hope you like it 'cos its you lads I had in my mind when making it.

www.IrishShooting.com

A couple of screen grabs to flavour your interest:

Home Page
    200952.jpg

Firearms and Ammo Page
    200953.jpg

How to mount a scope
    200954.jpg

The DVD menu
    200955.jpg

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

Well done Clive!
    All the best with it and hope it takes off.

• Registered Users Posts: 437 ✭✭lee70

Well done Clive, Had a quick look and it looks good. I hope it goes down well with the mods unlike other unmentionable sites. Have you any of the zeroing targets available for down load? Your not bad for an owl home counties lad.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,500 ✭✭✭tac foley

Great effort, Clive and I'm sure it will be appreciated, especially the scope-mounting section. There seem to be as many options on how to do it correctly as fleas on a dog.

Best

tac

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,147 ✭✭✭dev110

I know the website is in its early stages so far but some food for thought:

I was thinking in your Firearms & Ammo section if you did a piece on different types of rifle ammo. I remember when I started with CF rifles I was baffled with figures.
    If you explained some terms like BC, energy and what are the advantages and recommended twist rates and the like.

Here is something I did up on .223 ammo
    Also it should be pointed out that with .223 you can get 40gr to 75gr.

Most rifles run the 40gr to 55gr no problem. But you will need a faster twist rate for the 75gr, usually 1-9 or 1-8 twist.

With the different weight in bullet heads comes a new term.
    Ballistic Coefficient (BC). The higher this number the better the long range capabilities and less wind drift.

Example:

40gr V-Max:

Test Barrel (24") Velocity (fps) / Energy (ft-lbs)
    MUZZLE 100 200 300 400 500
    3800/1282 3249/937 2762/677 2324/479 1928/330 1578/221
    Trajectory (inches)
    -1.50 0.90 0.00 -5.50 -17.60 -39.10

BC: .200

This round is flat shooting but will be effected by wind more than the 55gr or 75gr.

55gr V-Max:

3240/1282 2854/995 2500/763 2172/576 1871/427 1598/312
    Trajectory (inches)
    -1.50 1.40 0.00 -7.00 -21.40 -45.90

BC: .255

This is a good mix of everything. Less wind drift than the 40gr.

75gr TAP:

2790/1296 2561/1092 2344/915 2137/760 1941/627 1757/514
    Trajectory (inches)
    -1.50 1.90 0.00 -8.30 -24.10 -49.30

BC: .395

This round will have more drop but it will be much better on a windy day out to 300 and beyond.

Can you see a pattern?

Also with the heavier rounds they will carry more energy and longer distances.

Example:
    40gr @ 400 yards: 330
    55gr @ 400 yards: 427
    75gr @ 400 yards: 627

This gives better killing power.

Also maybe a starters guide to rifle shooting, shotgun shooting and if you want pistol shooting.
    Eg. Rifle basics: good sight picture, breathing, trigger control, follow through, etc.

Shotgun: mounting, swing, leading the target, etc.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,057 ✭✭✭clivej

lee70 wrote: »
    Well done Clive, Had a quick look and it looks good. I hope it goes down well with the mods unlike other unmentionable sites. Have you any of the zeroing targets available for down load? Your not bad for an owl home counties lad.

None to hand and the one I used was just knocked up on the day. Felt pen and a good eye ;) There's a couple of targets to download in the 'Tips' section.

What I didn't not show on zeroing was after I had it zeroed I put in 10MOA of UP to see if the scope was level.
    Still aiming at the same spot. It was just off by 1/2" and I adjusted the scope over to where the POI should be.
    Loosened off the mount and twisted the scope a little, just a tad. I fact I put the spirit level back on the turret and it showed I was off by a fraction of a bubble.

• Advertisement

@Dev110.

I like your thinking here and will get more together and put up as it comes in. Good info like you have added above is welcome.

It's very hard to think of everything when I'm on a time limit. :o

cliveJ

• Registered Users Posts: 270 ✭✭Scalachi

Great work Clive well done.

The more information that is available, and available in different places the better.

Regards

DB

• Registered Users Posts: 1,226 ✭✭✭Glensman

I'll give you a hand with a reloading for Irish game section if you like.
    Fox, Deer, Rabbit etc.

Explain Headspace, burn rates, finding an accurate load. How to select appropriate head for task.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 392 ✭✭rabbit assassin

Great job clive it was badly needed in fairness ;) fair play to you its great to see and I bet its going to help a lot of people

• Registered Users Posts: 63 ✭✭PNA

Looks great, well done Clive

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 144 ✭✭cushcam

nice job, well done

• Registered Users Posts: 690 ✭✭✭Hunter21

Great informative site, was needed for awhile someone to fill in the niche. Hope it goes from strength to strength and maybe even get some sponsors for reviews etc.

Also shotgun newbies frequently ask choke differences, what discipline you'd use a particular choke for and also and more importantly what cartridge size weight to use accompanied by a safety notice regarding heavy loads pressure rating in certain shotguns. 20g into a 12g bore safety and also 3.5inch shells into a 3inch chambered gun.

Hope you don't take what I have just said as criticism but more of trying to help your site improve.

If you want anymore help of opinions on the site lot of us on here would be glad to help a fellow hunter.

Best of luck! :D

• Registered Users Posts: 1,795 ✭✭✭fish slapped

Nice one CJ... more Irish shooting sites is what we need plenty of room for another one and keep it up.

• Registered Users Posts: 15,025 ✭✭✭✭Grizzly 45

Well done...Hope it goes well for you and I wish you all the best with it.:D:D

"If you want to keep someone away from your house, Just fire the shotgun through the door."

Vice President [and former lawyer] Joe Biden Field& Stream Magazine interview Feb 2013 "

• Registered Users Posts: 463 ✭✭dax121

nice one clive up and on :D

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Good stuff clive best of luck with it. Anything thatgives helpful accurate information should be welcomed

• Registered Users Posts: 348 ✭✭virminhunter

Nice webpage clive, best of luck with it:)

• Registered Users Posts: 214 ✭✭paddy2008

Well done lad!!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,953 ✭✭✭homerhop

Looks good there Clive, another section for ya to think about is the various forms of competition shooting and the basics of how they work.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,149 ✭✭✭bazza888

well done clive,iwas thinking the same as homerhop maybe go through gallery rifle step by step equipment needed etc

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 9,734 ✭✭✭Birdnuts

Best of luck with this Clive:)

• Registered Users Posts: 1,656 ✭✭✭Spunk84

Nice one Clive, also I want to say that's a great website name you have.! Don't let it go ,it will be worth a fortune someday .

• Registered Users Posts: 299 ✭✭Mezamo

Very interesting Clive! would be a good place to look for anyone interested in getting a gun.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭fitzy700

best of luck with the new site clive :)

• Registered Users Posts: 2,117 ✭✭✭tommyboy26

well done clive great site very informative:cool:

• Registered Users Posts: 16,624 ✭✭✭✭Fajitas!

Really good to see. I'd have been completely lost if it weren't for browsing through every thread on Boards.ie before purchasing. Would be great to see some more about shotguns too, as well as a game section.

Great work though.

I don't know if it's of any interest to you, but I've a few photos from a hunting project I've been working on here if you wanted to use any for the image bar (I know it's mainly rifles on site so far!).

Fajitas! wrote: »
    Really good to see. I'd have been completely lost if it weren't for browsing through every thread on Boards.ie before purchasing. Would be great to see some more about shotguns too, as well as a game section.

Great work though.

I don't know if it's of any interest to you, but I've a few photos from a hunting project I've been working on here if you wanted to use any for the image bar (I know it's mainly rifles on site so far!).

Thanks for the offer and I'll get more up to the website over the coming months.

Nice photo's you have there.

cj

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,615 ✭✭✭kildare.17hmr

Some great pics there fajitas

I have now put up my 'Active' presentation that will be shown to the assessment lecturer's, 18.38 minutes but you can skip along the timeline.

www.irishshooting.com/Presentation/

All done in Camtasia Studio 7 from a Powerpoint presentation BUT not as you know it. :):):)

please have a quick look through it for me. ;)

:):):)

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 873 ✭✭✭snipe02

looks great clive well put together and to the point best of luck with it

Advertisement