Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Best sports pub?

Options
  • 18-04-2012 10:28am
    Closed Accounts Posts: 5

Which is Dublin best sports pub?

I know that The Living room have big screens, but their food sucks.

Woolshed have big screens, but it's not good for eating and watching as well.

More suggestions?

Big screens and good food is a necessity.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,031 ✭✭✭petethebrick

I think anywhere that has big enough screens to be considered a sports pub i.e the living room and the woolshed is not going to have gourmet cuisine. Most people are happy with a burger, pizza etc to accompany their pints when watching the football.

Anywhere with really good food is not going to want big screens blaring over the place as that would put off a lot of prospective diners with no interest in watching games.

Probably only in between places with smallish screens and good food. May be mistaken however.

• Registered Users Posts: 172 ✭✭crashplan

TP Smyths on the corner of Jervis and Abbey streets has good food and big screens too.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

You've mentioned the two best ones imo in your OP; Living Room and the Woolie.

Personally good food and watching matches over pints are two different things for me - Chapter One will do for the first while any type of finger food plus pints will do for the latter.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,906 ✭✭✭Cazale

Sinnotts near Stephens Green has a big screen and food is decent. Can get packed though when big matches are on!

http://www.sinnotts.ie/

• Registered Users Posts: 7,627 ✭✭✭Lawrence1895

The 'Portobello Bar' is not too bad either, went there a few weeks ago, decent portions and the food tastes nice.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 42 Roguery

Yes, agree with the Portobello. Good food and rarely gets too full.

• Registered Users Posts: 484 ✭✭RGM

Any recommendations on where an American traveling alone could watch Ireland in the Euros this June? Not really concerned with food, just looking for a good atmosphere to watch the matches. It'll be my first time in Dublin, and in the country.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,462 ✭✭✭brick tamland

RGM wrote: »
    Any recommendations on where an American traveling alone could watch Ireland in the Euros this June? Not really concerned with food, just looking for a good atmosphere to watch the matches. It'll be my first time in Dublin, and in the country.

Pretty much every pub in Ireland will be good to be honest. Woolshed is the best pub Dublin for sport in my opinion

• Registered Users Posts: 10,323 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

I'll throw my tuppence in and say The Bleeding Horse is good for sport and food.

Pretty much every pub in Ireland will be good to be honest. Woolshed is the best pub Dublin for sport in my opinion

I imagine so. I specifically planned my trip for that week, can't wait.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,587 ✭✭✭Pace2008

My local, The Ivy House in Drumcondra, is a decent spot for a match, and their food is great. It's pretty lively for Ireland's football and rugby games, but apart from the big clashes it can be quiet enough for Premiership matches. About 10 minutes bus from the city centre.

If you're staying on afterwards keep an eye on the time, the drinks go up to insane prices after 12.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭superblu

Would agree with the previous poster about the portobello. Was in there in February to watch an Ireland A rugby match against England A. This clashed with a couple of other things that people wanted to watch but they still managed to accommodate everybody. Also they had a food and pint deal for a tenner. What more could you want.

superblu wrote: »
    Would agree with the previous poster about the portobello. Was in there in February to watch an Ireland A rugby match against England A. This clashed with a couple of other things that people wanted to watch but they still managed to accommodate everybody. Also they had a food and pint deal for a tenner. What more could you want.

They still have that deal, as far as I remember, you have 5 or 6 different foods to choose from.

• Registered Users Posts: 14,467 ✭✭✭✭cson

Pace2008 wrote: »
    If you're staying on afterwards keep an eye on the time, the drinks go up to insane prices after 12.

McGowans do this too. Very annoying.

• Registered Users Posts: 278 ✭✭shankespony

Players Lounge its a "hot spot"!

cson wrote: »
    McGowans do this too. Very annoying.

The 'Portobello' does that as well, but maybe it only applies for their nightclub.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

Lars1916 wrote: »
    The 'Portobello' does that as well, but maybe it only applies for their nightclub.

no its all over. i used to pay over a fiver for a pint of smithwocks in the bar

no its all over. i used to pay over a fiver for a pint of smithwocks in the bar

Seems like, there are two sides of the coin almost everywhere :rolleyes:

When you say "The Portobello," is that the hotel?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 15,515 ✭✭✭✭admiralofthefleet

RGM wrote: »
    When you say "The Portobello," is that the hotel?

yeah, the bar in the hotel

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 802 ✭✭✭Lollymcd

I was surprised to see that O'Neill's on Suffolk St have a good number of TVs and large screens and show a wide range of sporting events. They also have a fantastic choice of beers on draught. I'm not too fond of their food but some swear by it.

It used to be Hanlons Corner for me. Go there before the GAA or after :) but i went for the Dublin Kerry game this year and they didnt have it. So just went into town to Sinnotts.

• Registered Users Posts: 192 ✭✭superblu

Don't like the food in o neills either. I got nice food and watched a match recently in the Bank pub on dame street.

Advertisement