Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Mismatched in Mac - help!

• 18-04-2012 10:53am

I bought the Mineralize foundation in Mac yesterday (never used their stuff before) and wasn’t sure of the right shade. I explained to one of the girls in there that I’m cool toned and I usually need one of the pale shades (but not necessarily the palest, especially with summer coming up). Anyway she matched me to NC15, but it looks a bit yellowy and I’ve since discovered that if you have cool toned skin you’re supposed to go for the NW shades. I haven’t opened the box yet so I’ll be returning it, but I’m wary of asking for help in choosing the shade in case they mismatch me again! Is there much difference between the NW and NC?

I’ve used Estee Lauder Double Wear before and my shade is Ecru, if that helps. I tried Shell but it was a bit too light for me.

Also not sure if I should have gone for Mineralize as it seems to be quite sheer. Does anyone know if the coverage is good with the Studio Fix powder?

Sorry for all the questions but I know there are probably lots of Mac expects here! Thanks in advance :)

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 130 ✭✭IMightKnow

NC15 is my own shade, but i use studio fix. I have very cool toned skin but that looked by far the best on me out of loads of mac colours i was matched with. For me, the NW15 looked awful.

My colour for double wear is also Ecru.

I wouldnt worry about what the box says, its what actually matches your skin that matters.

If youre unsure just pop into another shop and explain?

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭mcmacness

My sister and I are both pale with blonde hair, she prefers her makeup to be very light so she wears NC 15 and NW 20 Studio Fix Powder (they recommend you go up a shade with the powder) and I prefer to have my makeup that little bit warmer also that I can match with my tan when I'm wearing it so I wear NW 20 and NW 25 powder. The powder is really good but I think the one that I had the last time that I found brilliant was called Select powder or something like that, not Studio Fix.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,443 ✭✭✭ams

the last time I bought mac I got NC15 instead of NW15 cos they didnt have it - the sales girl told me some speel about wearing an NW powder over NC to take the "grey" look off your face. The foundation looked fine on me so just got that but maybe you could try if you have an NW powder?

Thanks for the replies!

Maybe I'll give the NC15 a go then. I'm just so confused about the whole thing, and I find it really hard to decide in the shop because of all the harsh lighting.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 Chipnick

Hi op

I am a makeup artist and I am also 'cool' toned so I know exactly what you mean!

MAC foundations work according to the colour wheel meaning that if you are 'cool' toned i.e. with pink undertones on your face, you ought to go for the NC (neutral cool) option which is actually yellow based and not pink based in order to neutralise redness. Opting for the NW (neutral warm) shades will just make you even more pink.

So, if you have a fair/medium, pink aka 'cool' toned complexion, the NC20 might be a little better for you. I use the NC15 studio fix liquid when going out (not everyday as quite heavy) and I am very fair skinned so I fear it might be too light on you but I don't know exactly how fair you are.

If you are used to using mineral based foundations you should be ok and not suffer any adverse effects from the product. I'd suggest you opt for the powder foundation only if you are super oily. The studio fix liquid for evenings is great as it has wonderful staying power.

For everyday use, I'd perhaps opt for the studio sculpt which is gel based and a nice finish or select spf15 if you have relatively normal skin. If you have dry skin and don't require much coverage, the face and body is rather good. Don't forget to use a separate spf if you choose an spf free foundation.

Hope this helps!

• Advertisement
Advertisement