Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Medical Card/Health insurance

• 18-04-2012 10:59am
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 658 ✭✭✭

Should the the medical card be done away with? Should we follow the British and just give free healthcare for all? Discuss that one because I think we should.

Should the medical card/Health insurance be done away with? 26 votes

Yes
    0% 0 votes
    No
    46% 12 votes
    I dont know
    53% 14 votes

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

I think we should have free medical treatment for children and oap's. The way it is now not everyone who has it needs it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 33,677 ✭✭✭✭Princess Consuela Bananahammock

Lisa needs braces...??

(sorry)

Everything I don't like is either woke or fascist - possibly both - pick one.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭AboutTwoFiddy

hondasam wrote: »
    I think we should have free medical treatment for children and oap's. The way it is now not everyone who has it needs it.

Lots of OAP's are multi-millionaires and lots of children are from very wealthy families. So how is that fair?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 658 ✭✭✭The Jammy dodger

Lots of OAP's are multi-millionaires and lots of children are from very wealthy families. So how is that fair?

It seems to work in britain though, wealthy or unwealthy and doesnt seem to damage their economy so why not have it here? :confused:

They must have worked hard for their money. If they put revenue into the country they are entitled to get something back. I don't think many multi-millionaires are going public for health care tbh.
    I agree there should be a means test for everyone.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,140 ✭✭✭✭ejmaztec

Multi-millionaires and well-off people in general would probably go private whether there was a free health service or not (as they do in the UK), they wouldn't want to be mixing with the riff-raff.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 216 ✭✭AboutTwoFiddy

They must have worked hard for their money. If they put revenue into the country they are entitled to get something back. I don't think many multi-millionaires are going public for health care tbh.
    I agree there should be a means test for everyone.

Ah not all, there's a lot of old money floating about and a lot of the developers that went bust and are NAMA'd up their eyes transferred their wealth to their spouses so they still have money albeit undeservedly.

I agree with means-testing, but I think that's the system we have now at the moment. Someone jokingly mentioned dental work, that's a huge thing for people on low income with a family. If you have problems with your teeth outside of the odd extraction/filling you're pretty much screwed in this country.

I agree with means-testing, but I think that's the system we have now at the moment. Someone jokingly mentioned dental work, that's a huge thing for people on low income with a family. If you have problems with your teeth outside of the odd extraction/filling you're pretty much screwed in this country.

If you are unemployed here you get a medical card, I know it's harder to get them at the moment but just because you are not working should not entitle you to free healthcare.
    There are plenty of working parents who cannot afford to bring their kids to a doctor.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,625 ✭✭✭flyswatter

In England you can get an operation done and dusted within 30 minutes with their excellent system but do we even have a healthcare system as good to make this feasible?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,813 ✭✭✭themadchef

..and who's gonna pay for all this?

d'fúck.

We should all just get free evvverything, because we deserve it.

Stop comparing us to the British. They get half the dole, half the childrens allowance and have to live with the accent.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,296 ✭✭✭Frank Black

Should we follow the British and just give free healthcare for all? Discuss that one because I think we should.

Absolutly - it's not like we can't afford it or anything.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

It should be A LOT cheaper but not free, no.

From my time in the UK, yeah, it was great that the doctor's was free but the waiting lists from even getting an appointment with your GP were crazy. Charge a small fee, like a tenner or something to see the doctor, it's not a scary amount but it might dissuade people from turning up for stupid reasons like seems to happen in the UK.

flyswatter wrote: »
    In England you can get an operation done and dusted within 30 minutes with their excellent system but do we even have a healthcare system as good to make this feasible?

They do not have an excellent system, some of their hospitals are a disgrace. They have a waiting list same as here.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,213 ✭✭✭Sea Filly

They do not have an excellent system, some of their hospitals are a disgrace. They have a waiting list same as here.

Agreed, the NHS is no better than the HSE from my experience. Massive waiting lists, suspect hospitals, all very similar really.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 647 ✭✭✭Annabella1

The word 'free healthcare' is a misnomer.......nothing is free.Taxes will have to be increased to pay for this type of healthcare.I might attend my GP once or twice a year paying about Eur 100.Like most people,I look after my health.
    I suspect most people will pay more tax than what they are paying currently to their GP's.
    I have lived in the UK and experienced 2-3 day waiting lists to see a doctor in the NHS

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 68,317 ✭✭✭✭seamus

It's a chicken-and-egg issue. The reason people buy health insurance is because the public health service is muck. We already effectively have "free" healthcare for all, but no-one in their right mind would willingly choose to go the public route if the private route is a feasible option. If the public system was good, then fewer people would bother with private insurance.

But unless one was to outlaw private health care, then private health insurance and private hospitals will always exist for people who don't want to use a public hospital.

I would rather a situation where taxpayers are "forced" to take out private health insurance for themselves, rather than charging them more taxes to waste in a bloated and inefficient public health system. At least in the former case, there would be a tangible benefit to the taxpayer making the payment.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,791 ✭✭✭ash23

seamus wrote: »
    The reason people buy health insurance is because the public health service is muck. We already effectively have "free" healthcare for all, but no-one in their right mind would willingly choose to go the public route if the private route is a feasible option. If the public system was good, then fewer people would bother with private insurance.

That's for sure.
    Myself and my sister both need an MRI. She was sent a letter back in January for an appointment in late October.
    I have health insurance via work. I was in for a consultation last week. My MRI is tomorrow. We are attending different hospitals but I don't think that's it.

I used to think I didn't need health insurance because I have a medical card. And certaintly for regular GP visits, the health insurance isn't great.

But if you develop a health issue then it makes a world of difference I think.

Advertisement