Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

New build structured cabling

Options
  • 18-04-2012 11:04am
    Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭

I am at first fix stage in a new build and I have my power and knx cables in so next up is the audio video and data side of things.

In some of the main areas I will wire for an active tv point and also potential future tv point so I was looking for advice on best options on how to finish/leave the cables in the wall?

I intended chasing the block walls and putting the A/V cabling into trunking but I am not sure whether I should just plaster over this or put blank wall plates at these locations...

Consider that there will be 4 cat cables and 2 coax to each point and on the shorter runs I was also thinking a HDMI lead and optical so it will be bulky enough.

Any advice is appreciated:)

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 13,422 ✭✭✭✭Bruthal

You could probably put seperate twin boxes in for the cat cables, the co-ax`s, and another for the hdmi/optical.

Leaving the cables inside a buried trunking is an option, but you will then have to chase out for boxes anyway, if you later use them. If they certainly will be used, id have the boxes in anyway. Maybe get the deep metal boxes.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

manufan16 wrote: »
    I am at first fix stage in a new build and I have my power and knx cables in so next up is the audio video and data side of things.

In some of the main areas I will wire for an active tv point and also potential future tv point so I was looking for advice on best options on how to finish/leave the cables in the wall?

I intended chasing the block walls and putting the A/V cabling into trunking but I am not sure whether I should just plaster over this or put blank wall plates at these locations...

Consider that there will be 4 cat cables and 2 coax to each point and on the shorter runs I was also thinking a HDMI lead and optical so it will be bulky enough.

Any advice is appreciated:)

You dont need to run HDMIs everywhere.

Just run 2 Cat5e ot Cat6 cables and you can use them to transmit in HDMI mode.:)

Or you could run 40 meter flat HDMI leads,if you are worried about bulkyness of a normal HDMI lead.:)
    This option would be rather expensive though.

Always try to leave some slack in the cables,just incase an end needs to be re-terminated in the future.;)

• Registered Users Posts: 250 ✭✭manufan16

Cheers for the advice, with regards the TV points going back to central hub..

My plan was for 2 x cat6 for HDMI, 1 x cat6 for data source at tv point and another cat6 for spare or controlling if IR not inc in HDMI matrix I eventually get.
    The two CT100 coax were for sky and satellite.
    Two of the tv's are in close proximity to hub so I thought I may aswell include a HDMI 1.4 while Im at it :-)

I was hoping to come accross some of these cables combined in bundles and not found many suppliers so far, should you know any good contacts pls send me a pm

thanks

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

manufan16 wrote: »
    Cheers for the advice, with regards the TV points going back to central hub..

My plan was for 2 x cat6 for HDMI, 1 x cat6 for data source at tv point and another cat6 for spare or controlling if IR not inc in HDMI matrix I eventually get.
    The two CT100 coax were for sky and satellite.
    Two of the tv's are in close proximity to hub so I thought I may aswell include a HDMI 1.4 while Im at it :-)

I was hoping to come accross some of these cables combined in bundles and not found many suppliers so far, should you know any good contacts pls send me a pm

thanks

Id stick with seperate cables to be honest.Easier to work with and install around bends or behind plasterboard walls.

Bundle cables are great in one way,bit they are a bitch if something goes wrong or doesnt work down the line.

Advertisement