Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Importing then exporting

• 18-04-2012 12:31pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭

Hello all,

I'm thinking of getting a used BMW K1300R from the UK but believe they're not a particularly good seller (for when I decide to sell it)

Is it possible to export a bike from Ireland to UK & re-register it? Has anyone done this?

Any advice appreciated and comments on bike welcome

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

A K1300R will always find a buyer but you may have to wait a little while longer than if it was a '02 Blackbird (a very good seller...)

What you propose is not a 'normal' process. You have to pay VRT when you import it to Ireland and this is non-refundable, you have to re-register it in the UK and this IS possible but the missing MOT's and history will make UK buyers suspicious and hence lower the value.

Several friends of mine have re-imported vehicles into the UK from Ireland and said it was an easy process though they didn't/couldn't get the original number plate for their vehicle and ended up with a new plate which didn't match the previous service history.

Personally I wouldn't bother - I would track down a clean, used, low mileage Irish K1300R and reap the benefit of the lower prices currently available here (yes, I know the one in the add is and 'S' model...). By the time you add transport, fees and taxes you will negate any savings.

'cptr

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 119 ✭✭Quebec Delta Mike

Hi ATC110,

That sounds like good advice from Interceptor. Unless you are getting the K13 at a rock bottom price, you can expect it to be hard to resell here, and as he said re-exporting it is possible, but the value will be much less without an MOT history. Check with the NI Customs, in Newry, about the paperwork.

If you have a choice, and you really want a big "naked" machine, with a view re selling, get a Honda cb1200/1300, or Suzuki gsx1400 or similar. The Japanese machines, as they get older seem to be more favoured by the "street fighter" style of biker....so might be a better chance of selling.

Look up http://www.donedeal.ie/find/motorbikes/for-sale/Ireland/, and check out what has been for sale for a while, keep in mind if you cannot sell a bike in April/May just as the weather is improving, it's not a good sign for later.

QDM

• Registered Users Posts: 34 mcquill

I recently traded my Harley for a BMW up North and it was a relatively straightforward process costing about £50 which the dealer did.

In the last budget provision was made for reclaim of residual VRT on re-export, but has not as yet been inacted into law (before 2013 according to the finace act on the revenue commisioners website). The catch with this is there will be a €500 administration fee which for a bike would eat up the bulk if not all of any refund.

I think the advice of the previous posters is sound.icon14.gif

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 301 ✭✭ATC110

Does anyone know of such a service in the UK? Thanks in advance

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,180 ✭✭✭Interceptor

Looks like its not as easy as it used be - clicky make go biggy

If you want someone to source a bike in the UK, contact Biketrans in Cork - he advertises in Donedeal and he will do a full checkover and HPI check before handing over money. Ideally you need to shortlist a few for him though.

'cptr

• Advertisement
Advertisement