Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Is iCloud worth it?

• 18-04-2012 12:36pm

I've exceeded my free 5GB with Apple and I'm wondering if I'm better off getting a Dropbox subscription, waiting for Google Drive (coming in the next week apparently) or else getting an iCloud subscription...

I've an iPhone, iPad and an iMac. What do you guys use?

Comments

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

There's no need to buy extra storage. 5GB is plenty. If you are going over it then you probably just need to disable one of your apps from backing up. I'm using less than 2GB and that's with two iDevices and two Macs.

Go into Settings > iCloud > Manage Storage and find out what's using all the space.

There's no need to buy extra storage. 5GB is plenty. If you are going over it then you probably just need to disable one of your apps from backing up. I'm using less than 2GB and that's with two iDevices and two Macs.

Go into Settings > iCloud > Manage Storage and find out what's using all the space.

I was thinking that actually, it's the god damn photos !!! :)

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 3,752 Mod ✭✭✭✭eeloe

Photostream is what's killing it!

i'm barely using 1.5gb on mine!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

From the camera roll? Yeah that can take up a lot of space.

I would recommend moving anything that you want to keep on the phone to a separate album and deleting it from the camera roll. Photo albums don't sync with iCloud.

Or just disable camera roll backup altogether. If you have Photostream enabled and/or sync with your Mac from time to time you probably don't really need it anyway.

eeloe wrote: »
    Photostream is what's killing it!

i'm barely using 1.5gb on mine!

Photostream isn't included in the 5GB. It's the camera roll.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

No matter what cloud service you look at at the moment , the cost per gigabyte is far too much. That will have to drop significantly if services like this are to become the norm for backup.

As it stands , your far better off buying a couple of external hard drives and using time machine or a similar back up routine to save all your media , keep your free icloud allowance for essentials only , such as contacts , settings , and so on.

• Registered Users Posts: 227 ✭✭boreder

andy1249 wrote: »
    As it stands , your far better off buying a couple of external hard drives and using time machine or a similar back up routine to save all your media , keep your free icloud allowance for essentials only , such as contacts , settings , and so on.

The whole point of iCloud is that music/apps/documents/calenders/photos/etc get pushed to your devices wirelessly. It's about convenience and not having to be thinking about backing up and sync'ing etc.

€16/yr for another 10GB is worth it for convenience sake alone. That's 3 pints, to be it another way.

Advertisement