Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ciara conway on midday on tv3!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Just sent her an aul tweet.

@ciaramconway fitter of you be in the Dáil than talking about Demi Moore coming out rehab. #jokeofaTD #laughingatthepeopleofWaterford

• Registered Users Posts: 5,393 ✭✭✭danjo-xx

cocoshovel wrote: »
    Honestly, who isnt a joke of a politician in this country? I dont think anybody is getting my vote next time. Why even bother.

Have to agree and sad to feel like this when we all need to do our patriotic duty.....but no one is leading from the top, least of all our leader.

I've never seen that man look sooo happy since he got elected you would think he had won the lotto.....maybe he has.

Been through 2 recessions and seen it all before....promises promises... in the national interest and for the next generation....yeah right.....

A curse on all their houses!

• Registered Users Posts: 6,975 ✭✭✭nkay1985

Odats wrote: »
    Just sent her an aul tweet.

@ciaramconway fitter of you be in the Dáil than talking about Demi Moore coming out rehab. #jokeofaTD #laughingatthepeopleofWaterford

Can you set Twitter up so that you can see the tweets people get from others? I'm sure I used to be able to see that but can't now. Any ideas?

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

nkay1985 wrote: »
    Can you set Twitter up so that you can see the tweets people get from others? I'm sure I used to be able to see that but can't now. Any ideas?

Yes, if the account is public.

Sully wrote: »
    Yes, if the account is public.

So, for example, Ciara Conway's account must not be public as I can't see Odats' tweet?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Yeah cannot see it. Not the best on the aul twitter first post in two years on it.

Odats wrote: »
    Yeah cannot see it. Not the best on the aul twitter first post in two years on it.

Yeah I know the feeling. Only sign in on the very odd occasion to follow something as it's breaking. Made a special dispensation for Ms. Conway though.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I'm not that into twitter but I can see other peoples tweets on her page?

Sully wrote: »
    I'm not that into twitter but I can see other peoples tweets on her page?

Really? I can only see tweets from her or ones that she's retweeted. On this page.

Really? I can only see tweets from her or ones that she's retweeted. On this page.

Shows how much I know about twitter! Didn't spot that they were re-tweets.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,079 ✭✭✭Gadgie

https://twitter.com/#!/search/@ciaramconway

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

Seriously,
    The next local elections we should enter Tawdy, I betcha he would get a lot of votes.
    We could use it as a protest vote against ALL politicians.

What exactly have our local TS's done since they were elected, except toe the party line and stay quiet, apologies, except to discuss Demi Moores problems on TV3

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Tbh the kinda politicians needed are very difficult things to get since the lifestyle being a TD brings with it is corrupting in itself with very few of them ever wanting to risk losing it.
    You need someone whos willing to constantly give a big fcuk you to the current status quo (and i mean constantly, not just the odd little outburst in the dail). Just constant pressure on what theyre there for with any PR taking a second place.
    Of course thats whats needed but these are the people who dont become career politicians

• Registered Users Posts: 137 ✭✭Marchandire

ziedth wrote: »
    You have to ask yourself (and i'm not a SF supporter by any stretch) but would David Cullinane have been getting his photo taken outside Talk Talk or going on an afternoon chat show? Not a hope! There's really no word for it but this is a disgrace IMHO.

To be fair, the only reason Cullinane is in the Seanad right now is to raise his profile and get him elected next time. All of a sudden he's standing behind Adams and Mary-lou at every bloody news interview :rolleyes:

I know they like to claim otherwise, but SF play this game as well as anyone else. Not that I approve of Conway either though...

• Registered Users Posts: 125 ✭✭duinegorm

It's an awful shame that people have no understanding of the good Ciara Conway has done. That photo outside TalkTalk where she was smiling meant nothing! I'm not going to get into detail here but I will say that at that time she was doing more than most other politicians to help workers and is still continuing to do so to this very day where as others who were full of promises never delivered and were never heard from as soon as their photo's were taken. I have no links with Ciara or Labour or for that matter any other politician but I do know for a fact (something lacking in others posts) that she has been a huge support to the former TalkTalk workers. I had to say something in her defence as some of the posts in this thread are bordering on ridiculous.

duinegorm wrote: »
    It's an awful shame that people have no understanding of the good Ciara Conway has done. That photo outside TalkTalk where she was smiling meant nothing! I'm not going to get into detail here but I will say that at that time she was doing more than most other politicians to help workers and is still continuing to do so to this very day where as others who were full of promises never delivered and were never heard from as soon as their photo's were taken. I have no links with Ciara or Labour or for that matter any other politician but I do know for a fact (something lacking in others posts) that she has been a huge support to the former TalkTalk workers. I had to say something in her defence as some of the posts in this thread are bordering on ridiculous.

No links at all? Just happen to be someone from Dungarvan who comes into a thread trying to defend a politician who managed to get elected somehow even though she had basically no experience and has been worse than ineffective since her election.

Fair enough if that's all true but I think you'll find you're in the significant minority here if you rate her.

And I'm glad you think she's been a great support for the former Talk Talk employees I've heard nothing from her on the matter except to see her big smiley head on the day Gilmore was down.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Please do go into detail !
    Granted smiling like a gormless idiot in the talk talk picture was very very unfortunate, and was more than likely down to inexperience
    ( lack of time to Practice sad face),
    What good has she done ?

I don't know her personally, I'm making any comment on her appearing on TV3, I have no idea what else she has done for Waterford or the country as a whole, I don't even have a great understanding of politics anyway so can't make much comment about her at all and I'm not defending everything and anything about her. The only point I made was that some people are slating her for a smile in a photo outside TalkTalk and giving the impression that she just used it for a photo opportunity. This wasn't the case then and even now it still isn't the case. It's a pity but I'm not going to be able to go into any further detail about it here.

I don't know her personally, I'm making any comment on her appearing on TV3, I have no idea what else she has done for Waterford or the country as a whole, I don't even have a great understanding of politics anyway so can't make much comment about her at all and I'm not defending everything and anything about her. The only point I made was that some people are slating her for a smile in a photo outside TalkTalk and giving the impression that she just used it for a photo opportunity. This wasn't the case then and even now it still isn't the case. It's a pity but I'm not going to be able to go into any further detail about it here.

Why state in one post that people have no idea of the good she done and in your next reply state that you have no idea of the good she had done ?!
    Sounds like a politicians answer to me :confused:

Nypd wrote: »
    Why state in one post that people have no idea of the good she done and in your next reply state that you have no idea of the good she had done ?!
    Sounds like a politicians answer to me :confused:

Read my last post again, that's not what I said at all, I'm trying to get across that I am only speaking about this whole smiling in a photo outside TalkTalk issue, not anything else as I have no idea about anything else she has/hasn't done. I'm far from a bloody politician ffs.

• Advertisement

Read my last post again, that's not what I said at all, I'm trying to get across that I am only speaking about this whole smiling in a photo outside TalkTalk issue, not anything else as I have no idea about anything else she has/hasn't done. I'm far from a bloody politician ffs.

I did read your last post and the one before that also.
    You contradicted yourself,
    I do agree with you on the talk talk picture, just a eejit smiling for a photo op.

I do agree with you on the talk talk picture, just a eejit smiling for a photo op.

If I contradicted myself I didn't mean to and I can't see how I did. (Edit - I see what your getting at now. I should have originally wrote "It's an awful shame that people have no understanding of the good Ciara Conway has done for former TT workers" I thought that the rest of my post made that very obvious though in fairness.)

I never said she was an eejit smiling for a photo op, why did you say that?

http://www.labour.ie/press/listing/1330694303506949.html

http://www.labour.ie/press/listing/131800610116982974.html

http://www.labour.ie/press/listing/1315482558831749.html

http://www.labour.ie/ciaraconway/news/13160189593054411.html

http://www.noodls.com/viewNoodl/11285441/irish-labour-party/social-protection-acts-quickly-to-assist-talk-talk-workers--

A quick google shows she wasn't just there for a handy photo op and that she is still following the situation. From my own experience I have found that she has been doing her best to promote the cause of former TT workers.

Why are you so bothered that I'm trying to add a bit of balance to this photo op issue, surely there's nothing wrong with adding my own two cents.

If I contradicted myself I didn't mean to and I can't see how I did. (Edit - I see what your getting at now. I should have originally wrote "It's an awful shame that people have no understanding of the good Ciara Conway has done for former TT workers" I thought that the rest of my post made that very obvious though in fairness.)

http://www.noodls.com/viewNoodl/11285441/irish-labour-party/social-protection-acts-quickly-to-assist-talk-talk-workers--

A quick google shows she wasn't just there for a handy photo op and that she is still following the situation. From my own experience I have found that she has been doing her best to promote the cause of former TT workers.

Why are you so bothered that I'm trying to add a bit of balance to this photo op issue, surely there's nothing wrong with adding my own two cents.

I never said you stated she was an eejit, I agreed the point that the photo was unfortunate.

Those links you provided from your quick google is labour party spin on their own website.
    I still draw my own conclusions that she is a waste of representation to Waterford.
    As much as it pains me to say it all of our reps are not doing a thing,
    I had high hopes for Halligan, he just can't get the leverage he needs as an independent.
    If he was within government I rekon he would be an asset unlike miss Conway !

I never said you stated she was an eejit, I agreed the point that the photo was unfortunate.

Those links you provided from your quick google is labour party spin on their own website.
    I still draw my own conclusions that she is a waste of representation to Waterford.
    As much as it pains me to say it all of our reps are not doing a thing,
    I had high hopes for Halligan, he just can't get the leverage he needs as an independent.
    If he was within government I rekon he would be an asset unlike miss Conway !

You said you were agreeing with me that she was "a eejit smiling for a photo op" how could you agree with me on something I didn't say?

You could be completely right about her as a politician and your opinion on Halligan, I wouldn't know. My only point was that she was being hard done by over the smile in the photo and that it painted the wrong picture. I felt that someone should at least point that out seeing as she was being hard done by on that score at least.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

For me it seems to be a case of you're damned if you do, and you're damned if you don't. Personally, I don't know what Ciara has, or hasn't done in recent months and years. I became disillusioned with politics a long time ago and don't follow it as much. So for that reason, I wouldn't feel comfortable slating this woman. For all I know, she's working tirelessly for a number of good causes, in which cause I wouldn't deny her an opportunity to promote herself on television. That would just stink of our favourite word that starts with B and ends in Y.

As for the talk talk thing, I have always felt that that was blown out of proportion. It seems Irish people don't need much to start witch hunts these days. Take a look at what you're using here

She smiled in a photo
    She appeared on TV3

Tell me that she made promises to people and then turned her back on them.
    Tell me that she was off on a holiday when she should have been attending specific important events.
    Tell me that she took bribes, told lies, or ate all the pies.

Of course you people know a lot more about her than I seem to but as yet all I've seen is speculation about what she hasn't done, and much ado about nothing about what she has.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭deisemum

You don't need experience to know that it's inappropriate to smile for the cameras when so many people lost their jobs.

deisemum wrote: »
    You don't need experience to know that it's inappropriate to smile for the cameras when so many people lost their jobs.

Okay...but how do you know there wasn't more photos taken? This is not a picture outside a school where hundreds were massacred. If she wasn't there at all people would probably be giving out because of that. From day one with this photo thing it just looked like she was being picked on, especially when you see that she wasn't the only person smiling in the picture.

Think about it for a second. There's every chance that she has been tirelessly working for the good of the talk talk people. Now until someone tells me otherwise, you really can't disregard that possibility. And if that is the case, do you really want to be the person who's still hung up on the fact that she smiled in a photo?

The thing smacks of typical Irishness to be honest. We constantly get annoyed about petty things and do nothing about the things that should really "grind our gears".

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭EoghanConway

deisemum wrote: »

I remember Gordon Brown doing something similar years ago. But at least he never skipped work to show up on a noon gossip show..

• Registered Users Posts: 385 ✭✭EoghanConway

Think about it for a second. There's every chance that she has been tirelessly working for the good of the talk talk people. Now until someone tells me otherwise, you really can't disregard that possibility. And if that is the case, do you really want to be the person who's still hung up on the fact that she smiled in a photo?

The thing smacks of typical Irishness to be honest. We constantly get annoyed about petty things and do nothing about the things that should really "grind our gears".

Not showing up to work is normally considered pretty serious, not "petty". In Ciara's case, I don't know, maybe she is using her annual leave. Do TD's get discretionary annual leave? Whatever. Not the point. It is a 90K a year which reflects the serious manner in which every TD should conduct themselves, a manner cheapened IMO by appearing on mid day light entertainment programming while the Dail is debating issues that will affect everybody in the country.

I have not seen this photo but generally speaking smiling in front of a business that has just put hundreds of people out of a job is not my idea of good judgement.

• Advertisement

First off. I know nothing about Ciara Conway, so maybe I shouldn't even be replying here. But what you're doing Eoghan, is heresay. Unless you want to provide some links to your claims then you probably shouldn't be saying anything.

Advertisement