Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ciara conway on midday on tv3!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

What is the latest with the EU funding for the former TalkTalk employees?
    There must be someone on here who either worked there when it closed or had someone close to them there. Perhaps they could tell us exactly what Ciara Conway did for them?

I seem to remember Emer Costello MEP, from Clonmel raising the issue in Brussels. As far as I remember, she was the one who was most vocal and active in the Talk Talk issue and applying for this grant, not really Ciara Conway. Emer Costello also proposed specific rule changes in EU law to try and avoid this situation in future. I'm not connected to Emer Costello at all.

Has anyone else sent Ciara a message? I don't use twitter but might send her an e-mail. I think if the show was about women's issues in general then it wouldn't have been so bad, but I actually found the giggling about place names with sexual innuendos beyond ridiculous. This is the way I used to behave in primary school. She is an elected representative for the people of Waterford. She really should be ashamed of herself.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

I for one cannot believe one of our TDs thought it was OK to go on a non-political talk show. She is meant to be in Dublin representing us, how stupid do we look.

If she was on her holidays, (which she will probably claim) it still shows a complete lack of understanding about the real pain and suffering of her constituents.
    The photo outside talktalk, it was not a happy occassion for the rest of us, the other labour person in the photo grasped that.

What i'm seeing in Ciara Conway is a TD who is completely removed from the reality of her constituents and has not grasped the seriousness of the situation we are in. Making statements and soundbites do not wash with me as valuable contribution for a person in her position. I will be writing to her to outline how stupd the picture is and how stupid we look for having her as one of our reps.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

There's every chance that she has been tirelessly working for the good of the talk talk people. Now until someone tells me otherwise, you really can't disregard that possibility

I can tell you for a fact that anyone I talked to in TalkTalk was pissed off about the photo and felt it was just a photo op for her,

To be fair, the same can be said for the workers party reps that hung out the front of TalkTalk handing out propaganda leaflets only for them to be binned by the staff as soon as they stepped inside.

All they wanted to do was get noticed and try recruit some people, desperate behavior and not helpful in anyway, of course they also openly abused a number of TalkTalk employee's on facebook and then denied it later.....all very caring

• Registered Users Posts: 5,081 ✭✭✭fricatus

Cabaal wrote: »
    To be fair, the same can be said for the workers party reps that hung out the front of TalkTalk handing out propaganda leaflets only for them to be binned by the staff as soon as they stepped inside.

All they wanted to do was get noticed and try recruit some people, desperate behavior and not helpful in anyway, of course they also openly abused a number of TalkTalk employee's on facebook and then denied it later.....all very caring

Sounds like par for the course for that crowd. These are the same people who were protesting against the household charge a few weeks back... outside the south-east's biggest tourist attraction, Waterford Crystal! Clever lads! :mad:

of course they also openly abused a number of TalkTalk employee's on facebook and then denied it later.....all very caring

What happened exactly?

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

Dan133269 wrote: »
    What happened exactly?

In short, one of their "representatives" posted on their TalkTalk closing protest page saying how bad TalkTalk were and it wasn't the first time...they made reference to this story - http://waterfordwhispersnews.com/article.php?id=70 (yes they did think it was real).

When the employee's in TalkTalk posted abusing the representatives about being thick (in fairness you'd have to be to very thick to think the story was real), they were abused back and lots of posts were deleted.

A number of employee's posted asking for the abuse to stop and for the representatives to apoliogise but were further abused and posts were deleted....about a day later they deleted the protest page they created.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

It never ceases to amaze me the amount of dumbasses out there that actually believe the WWN stories

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

I think the case with Ciara might be down to a bad PR job. The photo, press release about blaas, and going on TV to talk about some random thing. There isn't much she can do, or any of our TDs, bar raise issues and try get things done. Unless your a Minister, you don't have much weight behind you to do anything.

Re; Talk Talk. Judging by what I read here, including a deleted post, and from friends in Talk Talk - I don't think Ciara did anything outstanding and more annoyed workers. But than again none of them mentioned any other TD either (without being biased).

Ciara would not have been working in the Dail during that TV show. She would have been working in her constituency, I assume, for some of the Dail recess but the TV show while embarrassing is probably a storm in a teacup. Its not good for her image, and its strange for a TD to be talking about such topics, but I am sure she hasn't neglected her job completely when in work mode.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭wagtail99

Well, I think what you are all missing here is that by going on the TV show Ciara Conway was probably addressing her constituents. Remember how her election campaign appealed to the lowest common denominator, vote for me I'm a woman, vote for me my parents are from Dungarvan, I was educated in Waterford, I'm young, Reared in Tramore etc etc etc, few real political issues to her campaign. And it worked for her. So what better way to talk to your voting base than going on the type of TV show that they are likely to watch.

One of the few political issue she has mentioned is the women's rights one. But now she is likely to vote against the legislation to provide for some of these rights.

Also with twitter if you type @ciaramconway in the search bot at the top of the twitter page you will get all tweets that include that term, including Michael's.

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

Well obviously Ciara hasn't bothered to take on board all the critism she has received over this TV3 appearance, She on it again now.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Aquos76 wrote: »
    Well obviously Ciara hasn't bothered to take on board all the critism she has received over this TV3 appearance, She on it again now.

Thats if many complained, and there hasn't been a massive backlash for it so I assume all is good.

The Dail is sitting today, so I assume the appearance is pre-recorded?

• Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 9,036 Mod ✭✭✭✭Aquos76

As far as I know that show goes out live as they encourage people to text in their view and read them out throughout the show.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Do TDs have the freedom to just pop up on any old show without clearing it with the party first I wonder...

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Silverado

Sully wrote: »
    Ciara would not have been working in the Dail during that TV show. She would have been working in her constituency, I assume, for some of the Dail recess but the TV show while embarrassing is probably a storm in a teacup. Its not good for her image, and its strange for a TD to be talking about such topics, but I am sure she hasn't neglected her job completely when in work mode.

The Dail was in session yesterday from 10.30am. Did you not see the exchanges with Enda etc. re the water meter issue on RTE.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

has everyone complained to both Ciara Conway and her party leader (Eamonn Gimore)? Im outraged by this, its not Ok for our public rep on her own time or work time to be on a Tv show talking rubbish like that. Either way, she is representing the people of Waterford there. Its an embarassment to the people of Waterford and its voters. Did we elect a TD or something else? I honestly believe if people dont complain about this type of behaviour then any behaviour is acceptable from our reps.

ciara.conway@oir.ie
    eamon.gilmore@oir.ie

Got worse today, while talking about her new boyfried she high fives another guest *face palms*

• Closed Accounts Posts: 517 ✭✭✭batm!ke

Nypd wrote: »
    Got worse today, while talking about her new boyfried she high fives another guest *face palms*

d73d51948c128337_JagsFanMatt-DoubleFacepalmRickerPicard.xxlarge.jpg

Mother of god.

Just sent her an e-mail anyway. Doubt I'll get any response, can't believe I voted for her.

Who was the person earlier said they contacted her about an issue a while ago and got no response? Was it a serious thing, something which she should have responded to you about? Anyone else ever try get in contact with her about an important, relevant issue?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

and this is Labour, LABOUR!

Hey guys,
    I see the vote for the abortion bill was voted down, given good old Ciara was on tv talking about the whole abortion thing yesterday did she vote or was she too busy on TV to do so?

Here's news story
    http://www.thejournal.ie/dail-rejects-proposals-to-allow-limited-abortion-in-ireland-422805-Apr2012/

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,028 ✭✭✭calvin_zola

Dan133269 wrote: »
    Mother of god.

Just sent her an e-mail anyway. Doubt I'll get any response, can't believe I voted for her.

Who was the person earlier said they contacted her about an issue a while ago and got no response? Was it a serious thing, something which she should have responded to you about? Anyone else ever try get in contact with her about an important, relevant issue?

I tweeted her east employment action plan, asking would she be holding any information sessions etc about it, and didn't get a answer for a fair few weeks so didn't bother following up.

Hey guys,
    I see the vote for the abortion bill was voted down, given good old Ciara was on tv talking about the whole abortion thing yesterday did she vote or was she too busy
    ]

3 labour TD's and 19 Fine Geal absent, what's the betting

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

Hey guys,
    I see the vote for the abortion bill was voted down, given good old Ciara was on tv talking about the whole abortion thing yesterday did she vote or was she too busy on TV to do so?

Here's news story
    http://www.thejournal.ie/dail-rejects-proposals-to-allow-limited-abortion-in-ireland-422805-Apr2012/

Cowards. Every single fcuking one of them

• Registered Users Posts: 2,126 ✭✭✭Psychedelic

3 labour TD's and 19 Fine Geal absent, what's the betting
    Is there a way of checking who was present for the vote?

It was reported on WLR last week about her and the abortion legislation and that she was for it, and I thought it was great she was actually doing something progressive and on an issue I feel strongly about.

I think it'd be worse if she ended up voting against the abortion legislation (and her own principles) just to suit the part whip, than appearing on some chat show which, while bad, is not the worst offense a politician can make. But if she missed the vote to appear on the show, well, that is just fcuked up.

• Registered Users Posts: 109 ✭✭wagtail99

The minutes from the dail debate yesterday includes quite a substantial statement from Ciara Conway, it is towards the end of this document:

She finishes of the statement by saying that she cannot support the legislation because it does not go far enough.
    Haven't been able to find anything regarding her dail attendance or voting record from today.

wagtail99 wrote: »
    She finishes of the statement by saying that she cannot support the legislation because it does not go far enough.
    Haven't been able to find anything regarding her dail attendance or voting record from today.

This would suggest she didn't vote for it,

Perhaps the bill today wasn't the best in the world but you know what, it was progress and it'll be likely be many many months or even years before we'll likely see any similarly progressive bill being suggested.

Shame on FG, FF and Labour,

In general, the government of the day wont take legislation proposals by the opposition. They will do it themselves, and do it carefully, ensuring its done properly. In this case, there was even a possibility that it was in conflict with the constitution and didn't go far enough.

Its a complex case, that everybody seems to avoid. The government made a commitment, reaffirmed yesterday, to deal with it. An expert group is going to consult with the government on this, in July.

I think with the case in hand, its important its not rushed and the right level of protection is introduced.

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Sully wrote: »
    In general, the government of the day wont take legislation proposals by the opposition. They will do it themselves, and do it carefully, ensuring its done properly. In this case, there was even a possibility that it was in conflict with the constitution and didn't go far enough.

Its a complex case, that everybody seems to avoid. The government made a commitment, reaffirmed yesterday, to deal with it. An expert group is going to consult with the government on this, in July.

I think with the case in hand, its important its not rushed and the right level of protection is introduced.

Think i heard today that this is the fourth "expert group" set up on this since the 80's (I stand to be corrected on this, I was only half listening). I would like to have seen some movement on the issue if im honest.

What do you know, I got a reply from Ciara Conway. Or her secretary at least.

I emailed her saying how disappointed I was with her performance so far after I voted for her. Outlined the 3 things I mentioned earlier as being the only notable things she has done during her tenure i.e. smiling outside TalkTalk, not stopping VEC going to Wexford and now this programme. Told her the problems about emigration and unemployment, and how she looked insensitive to these problems. Got this response.
    Dear Danny,
    Thank you for you comments. I am sorry to hear that you have had to leave Waterford ,but I do hope that things are going well in your new role, and hope that you will be able to return to a position in Waterford in the near future.

I can assure you that I am well aware of the difficulties being faced by people in Waterford, and I certainly have not forgotten what these are.

I have a very busy schedule while in Dublin, and the issues in Waterford are very rarely far from my mind : I spend large amounts of time representing people and working on these issues.

As regards the tone of the programme- I was asked to contribute, and for my part would regard it as a chance to become au fait with the medium and to familiarise myself with how it works ( in preparation for other opportunities that might present themselves on current affairs programmes ). I certainly didn't mean to cause offence, the programme is light entertainment , and should be taken within that context.

Please be assured that I am continuing to advocate for the people of Waterford,

Kind regards,

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

We have another one today, that FG deputy from Mayo on the abortion issue. First of all he is against all abortion, then when quizzed on the Last word, she might consider it if the mothers life was in danger.
    When quizzed she could not or would not answer straight questions as to her beliefs, why can these people just state what they believe, I would have more respect for her if she stood up for what she believed in.

Advertisement