Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ciara conway on midday on tv3!!

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 218 ✭✭letsbet

Good to see Ciara getting read for any current affairs shows that might come up. Can you imagine her being grilled by Vincent Browne! It'd be comical. Her chat with the midday girls will have her well briefed for that and luckily Vincent is obsessed with Demi Moore's love life.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭witless1

letsbet wrote: »
    Good to see Ciara getting read for any current affairs shows that might come up. Can you imagine her being grilled by Vincent Browne! It'd be comical. Her chat with the midday girls will have her well briefed for that and luckily Vincent is obsessed with Demi Moore's love life.

She be better off on The Den, be a step up from what she was on today.

• Registered Users Posts: 497 ✭✭Darkest Horse

Dan133269 wrote: »
    What do you know, I got a reply from Ciara Conway. Or her secretary at least.

I emailed her saying how disappointed I was with her performance so far after I voted for her. Outlined the 3 things I mentioned earlier as being the only notable things she has done during her tenure i.e. smiling outside TalkTalk, not stopping VEC going to Wexford and now this programme. Told her the problems about emigration and unemployment, and how she looked insensitive to these problems. Got this response.

I got basically the same answer word for word. I did say that if she was so busy in Dublin, why had she the time to appear on such a low rent show?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,229 ✭✭✭Dan133269

I got basically the same answer word for word. I did say that if she was so busy in Dublin, why had she the time to appear on such a low rent show?

Obviously just copy and paste from her secretary then, unsurprisingly.

That's the thing, the midday show (no offence to anyone) is low-brow, uneducated type show that doesn't appeal to intelligent people. As we said, those on the show discussed place names with a sexual innuendo, Demi Moore's love life and "hidden sugar" in food like some sort of conspiracy theory for paranoid overweight people. If it was the Late Late show or another talk show where she was speaking about her opinion on things relevant to real current affairs, or even something like her interest in hobbies, sport, arts etc, then that would be completely different, she would be portraying her personality to a wider audience and getting some tv exposure. But this was just lowest common denominator stuff.

As Witless said, the next step down will be going on some children's show and accidentally sitting on a whoopee cushion or something like that.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,943 ✭✭✭abouttobebanned

Obviously just copy and paste from her secretary then, unsurprisingly.

That's the thing, the midday show (no offence to anyone) is low-brow, uneducated type show that doesn't appeal to intelligent people. As we said, those on the show discussed place names with a sexual innuendo, Demi Moore's love life and "hidden sugar" in food like some sort of conspiracy theory for paranoid overweight people. If it was the Late Late show or another talk show where she was speaking about her opinion on things relevant to real current affairs, or even something like her interest in hobbies, sport, arts etc, then that would be completely different, she would be portraying her personality to a wider audience and getting some tv exposure. But this was just lowest common denominator stuff.

As Witless said, the next step down will be going on some children's show and accidentally sitting on a whoopee cushion or something like that.

Like Mary Robinson did?

I really don't understand why someone would choose to be a politician. In Ireland you have to be seen to be doing something, out in the middle of the square, before anyone will actually believe that you're achieving anything at all. John Halligan understands this and this is why we'll always hear him on the radio shows telling everyone what the people want to hear. He's sometimes never found at important behind closed doors meetings though. Sure what's the point? Joe Soap won't know what I'm doing.

• Advertisement

She should be in work in fairness. She's getting expenses to be up in Dublin and instead of being in the Dail or being in Waterford doing constituency work she's on Ireland's version of loose women. If she had achieved lots of great stuff over the last few months then it would be somewhat excusable but she hasn't as far as anyone can tell.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,655 ✭✭✭Royal Legend

In fairness she is a successful politician, so she is entitled to appear on whatever show she wants.

In fairness she is a successful politician, so she is entitled to appear on whatever show she wants.

That was tongue in cheek by the way.

Her only success to date was to fool a lot of the electorate in County Waterford and get elected ;)

As for TV, I get the impression she would be more suited to the Republic of Telly or Craig Doyle Live (have the BBC seen this cr ap?)

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Her only success to date was to fool a lot of the electorate in County Waterford and get elected ;)

As for TV, I get the impression she would be more suited to the Republic of Telly or Craig Doyle Live (have the BBC seen this cr ap?)
    Lucky BBC if they haven't!

• Registered Users Posts: 51,054 ✭✭✭✭Professey Chin

How they keep giving him shows I'll never know O_o

• Advertisement

How they keep giving him shows I'll never know O_o

The guy is so up his own ar se its unreal, not funny, not entertaining, pathetic really. Where he smashed the controls of his tee shirt guitar was so contrived last week, everything is scripted.

The only good thing about last weeks show was an acoustic set from the Corona's. Thats the only reason I left it on last week.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,636 ✭✭✭south

she only had two weeks holidays why didn't she go on it then ¿ Was it off the air for the Easter holidays ?

• Registered Users Posts: 229 ✭✭Silverado

She should be in work in fairness. She's getting expenses to be up in Dublin and instead of being in the Dail or being in Waterford doing constituency work she's on Ireland's version of loose women. If she had achieved lots of great stuff over the last few months then it would be somewhat excusable but she hasn't as far as anyone can tell.
    In a week when he hear of 500 new jobs in Cork and 500 more between Dublin and Galway. You might even say that she was "fiddling when Rome burned". Her own constituents have to emigrate to Sydney because there are just no jobs in Waterford - but that doesn't really matter to Ciara when she can discuss Demi Moore et al on a TV chat show and collect her pay check. Why wasn't she in her seat in the Dail - it was in session.

I think she better do some explaining - maybe she can even give her unemployed constituents some hope, the ones that are still here that is.

I hope she has enough followers left to vote her in at the next election. Labour is losing ground fast.

I doubt she'll get voted in again. There'll be a right motley crew of candidates in Waterford for the next election I'd say. Two guys who deserve at least as much criticism as Ciara are the two FG guys. What have they done? At least John Halligan makes some noise up there (a lot of it may be pointless and OTT at times but at least he's doing something). Some TDs do great work in raising issues in the Dail and behave like politicians on a national scale whereas others busy themselves dealing with various local issues in their constituency office. It seems that most of the current crop do very little of either (well not as far as I can see anyway). The fact that Ciara hasn't replied to some people's communication is pretty poor tbh. It's not as if she should have the time to do so.

I doubt she'll get voted in again. There'll be a right motley crew of candidates in Waterford for the next election I'd say. Two guys who deserve at least as much criticism as Ciara are the two FG guys. What have they done? At least John Halligan makes some noise up there (a lot of it may be pointless and OTT at times but at least he's doing something). Some TDs do great work in raising issues in the Dail and behave like politicians on a national scale whereas others busy themselves dealing with various local issues in their constituency office. It seems that most of the current crop do very little of either (well not as far as I can see anyway). The fact that Ciara hasn't replied to some people's communication is pretty poor tbh. It's not as if she should have the time to do so.

I agree. Paudie though seems to be trying (he was Cathaoirleach recently) and Halligan gets a word in whenever he has a chance in the Dail. Even David Cullinane is doing his best in the Senate. The real passenger I would say is John Deasy. He doesn't feature anywhere. Can anyone tell me anything he has done this year? His wife Maura Dirrane is very prominent on TV but John really does seem to be just coasting along collecting the pay check and enjoying a comfortable life in Dublin.

Silverado wrote: »
    I agree. Paudie though seems to be trying (he was Cathaoirleach recently) and Halligan gets a word in whenever he has a chance in the Dail. Even David Cullinane is doing his best in the Senate. The real passenger I would say is John Deasy. He doesn't feature anywhere. Can anyone tell me anything he has done this year? His wife Maura Dirrane is very prominent on TV but John really does seem to be just coasting along collecting the pay check and enjoying a comfortable life in Dublin.

I imagine he is being quiet and staying out of the way of Enda, seeing as he was vocal in the heave against him a few years ago.
    To be honest he is about as useful as his father was as a minsiter. I expected a lot more out of him that this.

As for Paudie Coffey, please tell me what he has achieved, you don't see any sight nor sound of him, probably because he is so far up Enda's ar se :)

John Halligan is a good guy and Cullinane is your typical Sinn Fein rep. Its a pity that the most the independents can hope for is a bit of radio and tv coverage, as the.y have no power whatsoever in the dail

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 3,750 Mod ✭✭✭✭Siamsa Sessions

Ciara Conway TD considers being on midday tabloid pap "a chance to become au fait with the medium and to familiarise myself with how it works".

(Quote from a few pages back)

This is the best excuse she could come up with???

They don't even bother trying, do they?

Trading as Sullivan’s Farm on YouTube

Ciara Conway TD considers being on midday tabloid pap "a chance to become au fait with the medium and to familiarise myself with how it works".

I can confirm that's what she said to me in e-mail. Even the use of French in her response in a situation where it's not a common expression makes her sound detached and a bit arrogant.

• Registered Users Posts: 56 ✭✭Shalashaska

It would be nice of Ciara if she became au fait with the real issues of the people of Waterford.

Be nicer if she had a bit of guts and came on here to talk to us.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 6,101 ✭✭✭MitchKoobski

Be a PR disaster if she came on here and attempted to talk to us.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

Be a PR disaster if she came on here and attempted to talk to us.
    Ah sure she'd probably hire a PR person to do it and charge us for it.

With her conversation on the Midday program, it wouldn't surprise me if she's already on boards, posting in After Hours on threads like "funniest place you took a shite" or something like that.

• Registered Users Posts: 752 ✭✭✭jayboi

With her conversation on the Midday program, it wouldn't surprise me if she's already on boards, posting in After Hours on threads like "funniest place you took a shite" or something like that.
    For that mental picture Dan I will never forgive you!

• Registered Users Posts: 219 ✭✭insight_man

jayboi wrote: »
    Ah sure she'd probably hire a PR person to do it and charge us for it.

Conway must not have anything better to do than appear on Midday TV. Doesen't matter the country is going down the toilet or 450,000 or so out of work. No she's more interested in finding out how the medium works! Ripping off the tax payer just like all the rest of them. Disgraceful

Maybe she knows that she doesn't have much of a future in politics and is trying to forge a new career for herself. Forge is very apt there isn't it?

Still, if that is the case, then fair play to her.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Maybe she knows that she doesn't have much of a future in politics and is trying to forge a new career for herself. Forge is very apt there isn't it?

Still, if that is the case, then fair play to her.

Yeah.....don't know which she is worse at politics or chat shows.
    Lucky she will get a fat pension.

Nypd wrote: »
    Lucky she will get a fat pension.

That is rather unkind, this was a mannerly discussion until you made this uncouth remark.

If NYPD had meant it like that, then he would have pronounced the fat part. The messer from wexford introduced the uncouthness.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

Silverado wrote: »
    That is rather unkind, this was a mannerly discussion until you made this uncouth remark.

It was in no intended as a pun or a dig at her weight problem, my mind does not work in such an adolescent manner tyvm !!

Advertisement