Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ciara conway on midday on tv3!!

Options
1235»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 407 ✭✭daddydick

Lads whatever about discussing her performance as an elected representative, there is zero need to get involved in this sort of personal attack, makes the entire discussion board look bad and any argument boards users may have against her suffers due to this distasteful [EMAIL="cr@p"]cr@p[/EMAIL]

• Registered Users Posts: 9,081 ✭✭✭ziedth

Mod Note:

I have deleted a few posts that are basically not needed. I love to have a laugh as much as anyone but we are not that kind of forum so take that shít somewhere else.

I'd appreciate it if we didn't go down this road again.

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

daddydick wrote: »
    Lads whatever about discussing her performance as an elected representative, there is zero need to get involved in this sort of personal attack, makes the entire discussion board look bad and any argument boards users may have against her suffers due to this distasteful [EMAIL="cr@p"]cr@p[/EMAIL]

Agreed

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

Also, people need to remember that a TD is effectively powerless. People seem to think that Paudie and Ciara should be doing stuff for Waterford and should be working wonders. I'm sure they are working with their constituents on a daily basis, trying to address any issues that arise related to Waterford, bring issues about Waterford of concern to Ministers, etc. But all of this would be in the background. Ministers are seen making big choices daily, but TDs are not like that.

The way our Dail works, its not possible and they don't get much speaking time. Why does Halligan? Because he is part of a very small opposition group that are given a certain amount of speaking time. Because there are very few of them there, they each get good speaking time. The same applies with Sinn Fein, but I think they are pushing Cullinane because of his failure to get elected by the people (same applies to Mary Lou).

Labour & FG especially have huge numbers in the Dail. Paudie does very well to get speaking time and acting as chair, and I have seen Ciara at the forefront of many Labour outings / pictures. I think they both get to speak in the Dail at the same time but Paudie was given the chair.

I don't follow Ciara because it seems to be mostly family based stuff (her own) and general personal ramblings. I assume she does issue general PR on achievements and stuff like speaking time on the Dail. Paudie has anyway.

I know over the year or so lots of people pointed out stuff she has done and said, and were unhappy with it. That's fair enough. But to suggest she is doing nothing behind the scenes seems a little unfair considering you rarely see TDs achievements anyway.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,160 ✭✭✭fuzzy dunlop

The only way the political classes will ever take us seriously is if we throw these piles of manure out the first chance we get. We've just heard the YFG rep say they are powerless and we are supposed to be OK with that. It doesn't matter if they work hard or not.It doesnt matter if they sweat,blood and tears.If the results are not forthcoming then they need to go. It is not a reward system for "great little workers" Which incidentally they are not. The government are only a year old and already FG are in a FF like reality bubble. Golf Classics with Bagmen.Galway Punchestown Tent. It's like the whole thing is a charade to disguise a one party state.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Education Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 24,056 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sully

The only way the political classes will ever take us seriously is if we throw these piles of manure out the first chance we get. We've just heard the YFG rep say they are powerless and we are supposed to be OK with that. It doesn't matter if they work hard or not.It doesnt matter if they sweat,blood and tears.If the results are not forthcoming then they need to go. It is not a reward system for "great little workers" Which incidentally they are not. The government are only a year old and already FG are in a FF like reality bubble. Golf Classics with Bagmen.Galway Punchestown Tent. It's like the whole thing is a charade to disguise a one party state.

Firstly, I am not a YFG rep.

Secondly, this system has been the same for as long as I can remember and we got on with it, in good times and in bad.

Thirdly, there have been improvements for TDs but realistically they wont ever have much power and instead represent you and address your issues (where possible) to those who do have power. How can you expect every TD to be given such power?

The point of a minister is that the TDs make the representations and insist / try very hard to get the issues addressed. This is the only thing they can make public but at the same time they cant be knocking the government to hard because they haven't a chance of political success if they do so.

Sully wrote: »
    Firstly, I am not a YFG rep.

Secondly, this system has been the same for as long as I can remember and we got on with it, in good times and in bad.

Thirdly, there have been improvements for TDs but realistically they wont ever have much power and instead represent you and address your issues (where possible) to those who do have power. How can you expect every TD to be given such power?

The point of a minister is that the TDs make the representations and insist / try very hard to get the issues addressed. This is the only thing they can make public but at the same time they cant be knocking the government to hard because they haven't a chance of political success if they do so.

Firstly you've been using the site since well before the election to promote FG and you have for canvassed FG.Correct?You're involved in FG out in WIT.No? You defend them consistently.You are a FG rep.Or perhaps you're like Sarah Carey.Not in "FG" but promote and lie for them all the same.

Who gives a f$ck how long the system has been the way it is.I seem to remember FG promising to change that as well. But not before the gombeen scum in both parties have their way.Paudie Coffey is useless and redundant.Your just trying to create the impression of fait acompli for the benefit of FG.You do not need a minister to be influential.You just need to be savvy.Vote the way we are now "only" if we have a minister. If we don't then vote strategically like Dublin SE.Who incidentally has had ministers constantly since 1922.

Firstly you've been using the site since well before the election to promote FG and you have for canvassed FG.Correct?You're involved in FG out in WIT.No? You defend them consistently.You are a FG rep.Or perhaps you're like Sarah Carey.Not in "FG" but promote and lie for them all the same.

Firstly, I have been using this site for a long time without mentioning politics. Your clutching at straws and clearly don't know much about my political background. Secondly, as it stands, there is no active FG/YFG presence in Waterford. Thirdly, while I am a Fine Gael voter (which is publicly known) I have on this forum and in other places made my views that are in opposition to party policy where I disagree. Fourthly, I am here defending Labour when I could be slating Ciara Conway. As many people who actually know me and don't go guessing - my interest in politics is broad.
    Who gives a f$ck how long the system has been the way it is.I seem to remember FG promising to change that as well. But not before the gombeen scum in both parties have their way.Paudie Coffey is useless and redundant.Your just trying to create the impression of fait acompli for the benefit of FG.You do not need a minister to be influential.You just need to be savvy.Vote the way we are now "only" if we have a minister. If we don't then vote strategically like Dublin SE.Who incidentally has had ministers constantly since 1922.

My reason for pointing out how the system has worked was to give clarity and explain to those who don't fully understand the Dail that its not as simple as people expect. I think its fair to explain how it works, why some get more time and others don't get. Its not defending either party - its explaining how the system (party neutral) works.

The current government have been in place a little over a year. There has been changes to the Dail system in the first year. Should there be more? Yes, the Dail should be completely reformed where possible. Will there be more? Yes, I do hope so and I would be disappointed and annoyed if after the governments term they didn't at least make a good start at reforming. Do I expect Ireland to be turned around, reformed and pulled out from the pit in such a short space of time? No, I like to be a little realistic.

Apparently, because I am a Fine Gael supporter, I am trying to put a good image for Fine Gael re: Paudie Coffey. That would be a fair assessment if I didn't talk about the other Waterford TDs. But I did.

Tell me what the opposition TDs have done for Waterford? Tell me what any TD, opposition or in government, in Ireland has done for their constituency that suggest our very own TDs, or two of them at least, are useless.

Firstly, I have been using this site for a long time without mentioning politics. Your clutching at straws and clearly don't know much about my political background. Secondly, as it stands, there is no active FG/YFG presence in Waterford. Thirdly, while I am a Fine Gael voter (which is publicly known) I have on this forum and in other places made my views that are in opposition to party policy where I disagree. Fourthly, I am here defending Labour when I could be slating Ciara Conway. As many people who actually know me and don't go guessing - my interest in politics is broad.

Yes but the FG fortunes only turned about a year before that last election and it was around this time you started pimping them anonymously.You only disclosed your involvement when you were called on it enough times and before you deny it there is enough impartial people here that you won;t fool that will remember.Why wouldn't you defend Labour? They're the FG mudguard.If the go any worse in the polls it can only be then to FG detriment which is your party.

My reason for pointing out how the system has worked was to give clarity and explain to those who don't fully understand the Dail that its not as simple as people expect. I think its fair to explain how it works, why some get more time and others don't get. Its not defending either party - its explaining how the system (party neutral) works. .

The only problem is that it doesn't work the way you are describing.You might be involved in politics but if this is what you believe than you know f1ck all about it. But I doubt you do believe this.As I said it is only a distraction of the fact that Pauidie Coffey and Ciara Conway are useless and hence are disposable.This is a good thing if we use it.

The current government have been in place a little over a year. There has been changes to the Dail system in the first year. Should there be more? Yes, the Dail should be completely reformed where possible. Will there be more? Yes, I do hope so and I would be disappointed and annoyed if after the governments term they didn't at least make a good start at reforming. Do I expect Ireland to be turned around, reformed and pulled out from the pit in such a short space of time? No, I like to be a little realistic. .

This government has done **** all except tinker with a system and made it even more parochial then it is. But I suppsoe that is what to be expected from a pack of Hicks from the West and Midlands.

Apparently, because I am a Fine Gael supporter, I am trying to put a good image for Fine Gael re: Paudie Coffey. That would be a fair assessment if I didn't talk about the other Waterford TDs. But I did..

But you don't promote the other TD's only Coffee and the firewall Conway.Even Deasy you denigrate because he dares to correctly criticize FG.

Tell me what the opposition TDs have done for Waterford? Tell me what any TD, opposition or in government, in Ireland has done for their constituency that suggest our very own TDs, or two of them at least, are useless.

I never said the opposition were in a position to deliver anything.But they are not a blank space like Coffey and Conway.How about this you tell me what Coffey/Conway has acheived? It's about long term strategy because this is it for Coffey.Tomorrow he will be 50 and probably still a BB or Minister of state for Tiddlywinks at best.He is disposable.His only purpose now unless things radically change for Waterford is to be used by the voters to send a message to the government and a cold one at that.

Yes but the FG fortunes only turned about a year before that last election and it was around this time you started pimping them anonymously.You only disclosed your involvement when you were called on it enough times and before you deny it there is enough impartial people here that you won;t fool that will remember.Why wouldn't you defend Labour? They're the FG mudguard.If the go any worse in the polls it can only be then to FG detriment which is your party.

"anonymously"?! People can figure out very easily who I am, make a connection between my involvement in FG/YFG through my posts on other forums and media. I have never made it a secret and many people on this forum, mods included, knew exactly my story. I think if I wanted to hide it, I would have done a better job!
    The only problem is that it doesn't work the way you are describing.You might be involved in politics but if this is what you believe than you know f1ck all about it. But I doubt you do believe this.As I said it is only a distraction of the fact that Pauidie Coffey and Ciara Conway are useless and hence are disposable.This is a good thing if we use it.

Do tell, how does it work? Do explain how other TDs are any good, outside of Waterford - you forgot that part.
    This government has done **** all except tinker with a system and made it even more parochial then it is. But I suppsoe that is what to be expected from a pack of Hicks from the West and Midlands.

Examples of lame duck improvements?
    But you don't promote the other TD's only Coffee and the firewall Conway.Even Deasy you denigrate because he dares to correctly criticize FG.

Deasy is the only other TD, who does his own thing and has his own support base. He is around a long time, as was his father before him. I would like to hear where you think Deasy has been a better TD than Coffey, bar knocking the party and being brutally honest (though he does vote with the government on the policies and changes they implement) which many would argue is the reason he isn't given a ministerial position which many in Waterford are crying out for.

All I was doing in regards to Ciara, and I think its the first time I have ever cast much thought on her, is pointing out how the Dail works for TDs. I cast no opinion on whether I agreed with the various issues people have brought up about her on Boards.
    I never said the opposition were in a position to deliver anything.But they are not a blank space like Coffey and Conway.How about this you tell me what Coffey/Conway has acheived? It's about long term strategy because this is it for Coffey.Tomorrow he will be 50 and probably still a BB or Minister of state for Tiddlywinks at best.He is disposable.His only purpose now unless things radically change for Waterford is to be used by the voters to send a message to the government and a cold one at that.

Well considering they get more speaking time, and are obviously going to be more vocal being in opposition..

I cant say I have heard much from Ciara in terms of media related stuff but perhaps I am mistaken. I think Paudie has got a good chunk from the media, and also some speaking time and chair time in the Dail. What have they achieved? Very little, if anything. They make representations on issues, and hope it goes the way they want it.

I assume you will at least agree that every government TD are useless and blank spaces?

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,166 ✭✭✭johnnykilo

Ciara Conway is supposed to be on Vincent Browne tonight discussing the report into children's deaths in the care of the state. Bit of a step up from the Midday show or whatever the hell it's called. Hopefully he'll grill her on the unemployment problem in the South-East, but it's unlikely.

• Registered Users Posts: 5,585 ✭✭✭deisemum

Hopefully he'll grill her on social workers repeatedly ignoring reports of child abuse in the South East.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,510 ✭✭✭Max Powers

johnnykilo wrote: »
    Ciara Conway is supposed to be on Vincent Browne tonight discussing the report into children's deaths in the care of the state. Bit of a step up from the Midday show or whatever the hell it's called. Hopefully he'll grill her on the unemployment problem in the South-East, but it's unlikely.

I dont think anyone outside the SE knows we have 20% unemployment. Our TDs are happy to think that some money for painting the side of the Tramore road with little bicycles is fine for us.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 723 ✭✭✭Black Suir

Also, people need to remember that a TD is effectively powerless. People seem to think that Paudie and Ciara should be doing stuff for Waterford and should be working wonders. I'm sure they are working with their constituents on a daily basis, trying to address any issues that arise related to Waterford, bring issues about Waterford of concern to Ministers, etc. But all of this would be in the background. Ministers are seen making big choices daily, but TDs are not like that.

The way our Dail works, its not possible and they don't get much speaking time. Why does Halligan? Because he is part of a very small opposition group that are given a certain amount of speaking time. Because there are very few of them there, they each get good speaking time. The same applies with Sinn Fein, but I think they are pushing Cullinane because of his failure to get elected by the people (same applies to Mary Lou).

Labour & FG especially have huge numbers in the Dail. Paudie does very well to get speaking time and acting as chair, and I have seen Ciara at the forefront of many Labour outings / pictures. I think they both get to speak in the Dail at the same time but Paudie was given the chair.

I don't follow Ciara because it seems to be mostly family based stuff (her own) and general personal ramblings. I assume she does issue general PR on achievements and stuff like speaking time on the Dail. Paudie has anyway.

I know over the year or so lots of people pointed out stuff she has done and said, and were unhappy with it. That's fair enough. But to suggest she is doing nothing behind the scenes seems a little unfair considering you rarely see TDs achievements anyway.

Of course you have, pull out a camera or a microphone and Ciara will come running. She loves the attention.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

Max Powers wrote: »
    I dont think anyone outside the SE knows we have 20% unemployment. Our TDs are happy to think that some money for painting the side of the Tramore road with little bicycles is fine for us.

€600,000?? to paint little bicycles on the Tramore Road, they must be Carbon fibre bicycles ;)

Max Powers wrote: »

Does anyone think they really care that it is this high. I dont think they do. They (the most of them anyway) have the fat pay cheque every month with their generous expenses and dont care after that. If they cared, the 4 Waterford TD's, the 3 in South Tipperary, the 5 in Wexford, what ever is in Kilkenny/Carlow and even whats in East Cork would be coming together and demanding answers as to why there is no jobs coming to the South East. But they wont, especially the muppets that are involved with Fine Gael and Labour who are afraid of the Party Whips and wont vote against anything in the dail as some sort of protest about the lack of jobs in the south east. I dont know how many FG/LAB td's there is in the South-East and East Cork regions, but it would appear that there is only one, JOHN DEASY who is trying to do anything, by working with TD's from outside of his own area to try and get something done in the area.

€600,000?? to paint little bicycles on the Tramore Road, they must be Carbon fibre bicycles ;)

There is reports that in the region of €4 million was spent on a short section of the Round around the Master McGrath Junction in the county, putting down footpaths, cycle paths, a new car park for a pub, water pipes, traffic management measures etc.

I have no reference to it handy but i am sure that both Ciara Conway and Paudie Coffey (Irelands joint ministers for welcoming anything that money is spent on or announcements) both welcomed this work in some shape or form.

There is reports now that some of it will have to be re-done as the road was left in a very dangerous state. There has been a number of accidents in the last few weeks since the works finished on the stretch of road, and also if you pull into the filling station for petrol or what ever, and when you are finished attempt to go back the way you came from, it is near impossible to swing around in one movement as you were able to do before the work was done. Now the chances are you will have to reverse across the road as you turn with traffic coming from possibly both sides.

But its all ok because both Paudie and CIara have possibly welcomed the work happening in the first place.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Brick Session

Black Suir wrote: »
    There is reports that in the region of €4 million was spent on a short section of the Round around the Master McGrath Junction in the county, putting down footpaths, cycle paths, a new car park for a pub, water pipes, traffic management measures etc.

I have no reference to it handy but i am sure that both Ciara Conway and Paudie Coffey (Irelands joint ministers for welcoming anything that money is spent on or announcements) both welcomed this work in some shape or form.

There is reports now that some of it will have to be re-done as the road was left in a very dangerous state. There has been a number of accidents in the last few weeks since the works finished on the stretch of road, and also if you pull into the filling station for petrol or what ever, and when you are finished attempt to go back the way you came from, it is near impossible to swing around in one movement as you were able to do before the work was done. Now the chances are you will have to reverse across the road as you turn with traffic coming from possibly both sides.

But its all ok because both Paudie and CIara have possibly welcomed the work happening in the first place.

Perhaps there was an opportunity for a photograph?

See they are talking about reducing the number of TD's from 166 to 158 and almost everywhere will be affected, wonder will any of the elected WASTERS representing the Waterford City & County be quivering in their expenses paid boots?

Perhaps there was an opportunity for a photograph?

See they are talking about reducing the number of TD's from 166 to 158 and almost everywhere will be affected, wonder will any of the elected WASTERS representing the Waterford City & County be quivering in their expenses paid boots?

The only way Waterford is going to be effected is that the part of the County represented with South Tipp is going to be now all in with Waterford. Pity realy. They could have told us that from Monday morning they were taking Paudie and Ciara off us. Oh hang on, why wait till monday. Never put off till tomorrow what you can do today and all that.

Advertisement