Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

is that the last of mr frost

Options
  • 18-04-2012 12:49pm
    Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭

is that the last we've seen of the frost for this year. i'm still worried about planting out my few vegies. any body planting out yet.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,730 ✭✭✭redser7

I doubt it. Forecast right into next weekend is still cold. I've planted out some of the more hardy stuff. What veg are you thinking about?

• Registered Users Posts: 885 ✭✭✭Sappa

I planted 2 weeks ago,mint is doing fine but the coriander and basil got destroyed a few nights ago by the frost.
    I took them from pot plants as this is my first time growing but used one of those tunnels aldi had on sale a few weeks back it it kept them too dry.
    Would you more knowledgeable folk recommend I put one of thos see through plastic sheets to cover the plot from excessive rain and wind as I am thinking it might help.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

I'm definitely not one of these more knowledgable types, but I don't trust the weather at the moment. I plan to plant mine out closer to the end of the month with a wary eye on the weather forecast.

As kids my mother would always warn us not to let sun fool you in April and may, as we'd go looking for our shorts and t-shirts. "don't remove the clout till may is out" is the saying she uses, and I think I'll apply a similar logic to my herbs and some of the veg.

I noticed the frost over the weekend alright. That unusually warm week we had would easily throw us off. Maybe you're right about covering with plastic though, I'll be watching for replies on that. I'm still a bit of an amateur at this :o:)

• Registered Users Posts: 120 ✭✭cosbawn

• I don't grow much veg, but have some lettuce and scallions growing from seed on the window sill in my kitchen. However, I do love gardening in general. Any shrubs or plants that I buy at this time of year I keep in my kitchen, which is sunny, until the end of May when the frost is def gone. So the Kitchen gets a bit cluttered to say the least :eek: but who cares :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 22,058 ✭✭✭✭Abi

If the hail stones last night were anything to go by last night I'd hold out. They were like golf balls here :eek:

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1,731 ✭✭✭MarchDub

My 20 year old hydrangea is badly frost bitten all over the top and sides. It came out earlier in large green leaves and then got badly hit. Not sure if it will recover this year - the leaves are all brown now and withering except those at the bottom of the plant. Any ideas anyone - can it make a come back this year, should I cut off the withered stems?

• Registered Users Posts: 943 ✭✭✭SNAKEDOC

i think i'll hold off though i did put out some of my cabbages they were begging to go out as they were getting big and i had no additional room to pot them up. i have them under individual cloches and they seem unfazed by the light frost last night. i'm holding out for the rest, my carrots onions scallions tomatoes and strawberries will wait til next month.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,398 ✭✭✭dfbemt

Hard frost forecast tonight.

There are great, detailed and fairly accurate weather forecasts posted daily over in the weather forum by M T Cranium. Go to 'Science' and you'll see 'Weather' at the bottom of the list.

Advertisement