Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

How much to pay a childminder?

Options
  • 18-04-2012 1:00pm
    Registered Users Posts: 13

Hi all,
    Just a few questions that i would love some answers to. I am currently looking for a childminder for my 6 month old baby but i don't know what the 'going rate' is. I need someone for 3 days a week and will be dropping her off at 7am and collecting at 5pm. Do they provide lunch for babs and does this affect the price?

My other issue is do they have to be qualified. I have friends who leave kids with non qualified people who have their own kids and they get on great.
    I feel that having a qualification doesn't necessarily mean that they are good childminders!!

All advice greatly appreciated :)

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 5,588 ✭✭✭deisemum

The rates vary around the country and I don't think there's much of a difference in rates whether the childminder is qualified or not.

I'm in Waterford City and the average rate is about €30 per day but for an early start it could be €35 per day for up to 3 days, around €145 - €150 is the weekly average depending on the length of day.

Some childminders provide all meals and snacks, others just provide meals and parents provide snacks, some parents provide all meals and snacks though most childminders that I know provide all meals and snacks.

Here's a link to Childminding Ireland and it will give you a lot of info and things to consider when looking for a childminder.

http://www.childminding.ie/parents/

Try and get recommendations if you can and always check references, you'd be surprised how many parents don't. Insurance would be another thing to check.

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

It depends where you live but in KIldare it would be about 500/600 a month and a Dublin creche would be about 7/800pm
    That includes everything except nappies.
    I would want a registered insured childminder but once her kids are well behaved and looked after I would not worry about qualifications.

• Registered Users Posts: 164 ✭✭fptosca

I live in Dublin and we pay €40 per day to the Childminder of our son. We provide nappies and food although she was happy to provide food at that rate. We prefer our son to get used to our cooking ;)
    We've been using this Childminder for over a year and are really happy with her. We'll bring her our second child in a few months.

Advertisement