Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Children's Allowance

124»

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 41,118 ✭✭✭✭Annasopra

A job? Hell no.
    A magic money tree? No
    Welfare and childrens allowance. Yes

Jobs? - yes of course - there are hundreds of thousands of those just waiting for all of the unemployed in the country

It was so much easier to blame it on Them. It was bleakly depressing to think that They were Us. If it was Them, then nothing was anyone's fault. If it was us, what did that make Me? After all, I'm one of Us. I must be. I've certainly never thought of myself as one of Them. No one ever thinks of themselves as one of Them. We're always one of Us. It's Them that do the bad things.

Terry Pratchet

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Devi

inforfun wrote: »
    In your case maybe but if i look at it personally i would have to answer "No" on both options.
    Now i dont have kids so it wouldnt be a problem for me at all but i dont think everybody working can go off during lunch as some only have a 30 minute lunch break working in some remote industrial estate.
    Nearest post office open on Saturdays might also be pretty far away.

But that’s my point, it is awkward but if you need it you will find a way of getting it. I have two kids and get €280 a month, now to me, right now €280 a month is a lot of money but if I was on €1000 a week then I probably wouldn’t bother claiming it, if it meant giving up a lunch break. There is no other social welfare payment that is as easy to get and scam, every other payment the onus is on the claimant to put the effort in. For me, this option would be preferable to the blanket cuts the government have been implementing.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 20,862 ✭✭✭✭inforfun

Only thing what your proposal would do is make it harder/uncomfortable/impossible for the ones who actually work for their money, whether they really need CA or not.

Somehow i also doubt that people with jobs scam CA more than the ones without a job so i don't see your proposal help to prevent scamming either.

As said, i dont have kids so for all i care CA is done with tomorrow but i really cant agree on making it harder for people who actually contribute with their taxes to get something for that in return.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,044 ✭✭✭gcgirl

Boombastic wrote: »

or god forbid you might have to use public healthcare:eek:
    there is no such thing in this country as public chidcare :P

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,496 ✭✭✭Boombastic

gcgirl wrote: »
    there is no such thing in this country as public chidcare :P

See my previous posts in this thread where I got slated for suggesting free/subsided childcare for working people instead of childrens allowance :p

ETA: Just had a look through to see why I made the statement about having to use public healthcare and it was in relation to a poster questioning why they shouldn't receive help to pay for private healthcare, why should they?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 4,390 ✭✭✭clairefontaine

See my previous posts in this thread where I got slated for suggesing free/subsided childcare for working people instead of childrens allowance :p

That will cost the tax payer even more. Seriously, you think 130 a month covers childcare? More like 900 a month for an infant/toddler.

That will cost the tax payer even more. Seriously, you think 130 a month covers childcare? More like 900 a month for an infant/toddler.

See my previous post, I edited it to add something, also people who don't work wouldn't be receiving childrens Allowance, this money could be put towards childcare for working people, and the cost of childcare needs to be looked at.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 446 ✭✭Devi

inforfun wrote: »
    Only thing what your proposal would do is make it harder/uncomfortable/impossible for the ones who actually work for their money, whether they really need CA or not.

Somehow i also doubt that people with jobs scam CA more than the ones without a job so i don't see your proposal help to prevent scamming either.

As said, i dont have kids so for all i care CA is done with tomorrow but i really cant agree on making it harder for people who actually contribute with their taxes to get something for that in return.

I think you need to re read my post, I never said it was people who work in the country that scam the CA. What I said was it was the easiest to scam. There’s nothing stopping you claiming the allowance and moving out of the country. I’ve been claiming it 6 years and have never been checked.

Yes it would make it harder for everybody but why shouldn’t it be, if it means reducing the out of country claimants? I’m not saying I enjoy bureaucracy or anything I just don’t get why this has practically no bureaucracy attached to it while other forms of social welfare have excessive amounts. As workers even when claiming for tax rebates you have some holes to jump though, I just don’t get why this is made so easy to claim.

I think we’re looking at the debate of whether wealthy people deserve CA or not in the wrong way, I think the question should be; do wealthy people need the money or not? For example I know people who are on great incomes and I know people on min wage/dole that claim CA, for the people I know on a high income, the CA pays for a holiday, a second car, another words luxuries. One of them even owns a €250k yacht, now I don’t know if the CA pays directly for the yacht but it all goes into the same bank account if you get me. For the people on min wage it pays for rent, food or clothes, things that are needed to survive. One is a need and one is a want, I just think we should concentrate on need first, now maybe my proposal isn’t the best way of going about it but it is a cheap, easy way.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

Yeah well they got sick of paying their taxes to this country [too high] so they emmigrated and now pay taxes to someone else.
    Couldn't make ends meet on over €40k a month? :rolleyes:

Couldn't make ends meet on over €40k a month? :rolleyes:

Ah here, they were probably doing their best, having cornflake days a couple of times a week before deciding to leave :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Gee_G

See my previous post, I edited it to add something, also people who don't work wouldn't be receiving childrens Allowance, this money could be put towards childcare for working people, and the cost of childcare needs to be looked at.
    I have posted about this on quite a few different threads. You can not just stop giving unemployed people Childrens Allowance.

Yes, there is the long term unemployed who have no interest or intentions of getting a job and there is the one's who have a great drinking session on CA day. But then there is people like me.Unemployed through no fault of my own. Highly qualified, highly educated and trying to better myself while out of work to make a better life for our son. We are living off one wage.
    Every CA day, we stock up on nappies, wipes,baby food,etc to do us for a few weeks.

So to say that people who don't work shouldn't be receiving it, is bull and completely unfair. You've obviously never been in such a bad situation that €140 a month is a little lifeline to keep things ticking over for another week or two.

So my opinion is, means test it. (Unemployed also means tested)Or give it in food/supermarket vouchers.

Gee_G wrote: »
    I have posted about this on quite a few different threads. You can not just stop giving unemployed people Childrens Allowance.

Yes, there is the long term unemployed who have no interest or intentions of getting a job and there is the one's who have a great drinking session on CA day. But then there is people like me.Unemployed through no fault of my own. Highly qualified, highly educated and trying to better myself while out of work to make a better life for our son. We are living off one wage.
    Every CA day, we stock up on nappies, wipes,baby food,etc to do us for a few weeks.

So to say that people who don't work shouldn't be receiving it, is bull and completely unfair. You've obviously never been in such a bad situation that €140 a month is a little lifeline to keep things ticking over for another week or two.

So my opinion is, means test it. (Unemployed also means tested)Or give it in food/supermarket vouchers.

Ah you see, you missed the bit where if one parent is working, half the time in childcare would be given, freeing you up to work at least part time ;)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,386 ✭✭✭✭Grayson

Personally, I'm all in favor of means testing it. I can't see why we'd give money to people who don't need it.
    Plus with the money saved by means testing, there could be more money put towards subsidised child care.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,215 ✭✭✭Gee_G

Ah you see, you missed the bit where if one parent is working, half the time in childcare would be given, freeing you up to work at least part time ;)
    It might have my baby in childcare a few days a week but Still doesn't buy food for him ! :)

Yep,I think means testing is the way forward. Even people who as unemployed should be. There's a lot of people claiming social welfare when their partners are on huge salaries! Or people with loads of kids, never worked, making a mint!

It might have my baby in childcare a few days a week but Still doesn't buy food for him ! :)

Yep,I think means testing is the way forward. Even people who as unemployed should be. There's a lot of people claiming social welfare when their partners are on huge salaries! Or people with loads of kids, never worked, making a mint!

To a certain extent, I agree with means testing as another option, once the value of medical card, council house and other ancillary benefits are taken in to account.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,468 ✭✭✭✭OldNotWIse

Why not have free childcare for children whose parents work? If parents are not working...they can mind their own kids surely??

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,386 ✭✭✭monkeypants

OldNotWIse wrote: »
    Why not have free childcare for children whose parents work? If parents are not working...they can mind their own kids surely??
    A tax credit for childcare. Or just a tax credit for kids. If you've never worked, **** you and your kids. Eat them if you're that desperate.

Advertisement