Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Budgie cages

• 18-04-2012 1:14pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,259 ✭✭✭✭

How big a cage should I get if I were going to buy two budgies?

My fiancée and daughter have been bird-sitting for a neighbour and have become quite attached to the little fella!

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,151 ✭✭✭Irishchick

The cage needs to be big enough for the too budgies to stretch their wings completely all the way around plus room for them to move around, play, and get away from each other if they so want to.

Also I would advise against buying from a pet-shop. Buy from a breeder who hand rears them. They make lovely pets that you can take out of the cage and interact with.

• Registered Users Posts: 21 moses13

As with any animal/bird get the biggest cage you can afford! Try zooplus.ie they have great cages at good prices and they deliver.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,129 ✭✭✭PucaMama

i second zooplus! i got a great cage for my cockatiels plus some perches all for under 100euro and delivery is free at that price :) took exactly a week to deliver too very good :)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 24,259 ✭✭✭✭Sleepy

Aye, I get bigger is better, was just wondering what a minimum size would be so I could go up from there and see what I can afford. Think the budgies might be on hold for a while but it's good to know for the future!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭pawrick

I also went to zooplus

Don't forget they give a first time buyers discount of 10%

and also check their other websites (UK, German, Spanish etc) as for some things it can work out cheaper even with the added postage costs and there is often a better choice.

Some Irish pet shops also have deals which can match - pet shop near cineworld on parnell street, D1 has some decent size cages from time to time.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,132 ✭✭✭Sigma Force

Well I would advise if you can't afford a large cage don't get the birds it wouldn't be fair on them but saying that zooplus cages are very good value and it's worth spending a little bit more in the long term because budgies can live a long time.

I highly recommend this one http://www.zooplus.co.uk/shop/birds/bird_cages_and_accessories/parakeet_cages/montana/40967

I've seen small cages in pet shops for 70 euro and they are not suitable for any birds so this Montana cage is great value keep in mind it includes a free stand.

I have this cage for our tiel and I would highly recommend it for budgies, it's on castors so if it gets in the way you can move it somewhere else. It's important that not only the cage be wide enough for the birds to stretch their wings but also wide enough for them to fly across the cage without hitting their wings off the bars this cage is very suitable for that purpose and to be honest a bargain it was dearer than that when I bought mine..you can get it on the zooplus.ie site as well.

The opening above the door is very handy if the birds are playing outside on top of the cage you can leave the side opening open as it lies flat so they can get back in easily or you can open the top and get a play stand for it. It comes with 3 stainless food/water bowls which are very sturdy. Only thing I would say is don't put the floor grill on the bottom and buy a couple more perches and insure the screws are always tightened. We've had ours a few years and it's so easy to clean.

It will also come in handy if for instance you have to go away for a few days and someone is minding the birds they can be left in their cage while you are away if the minder is too nervous about letting them out as it's big enough for them to move around in and keep busy in.

I know it's a big cage but you'll only end up buying a smaller one and getting a bigger one in the long run.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,728 ✭✭✭pawrick

I'd second what Sigma said - I have the same cage for my parrotlet which is a tiny bit smaller then a budgie and can say the build quality is excellent. It is a big cage and heavy but for moving around a room it's fine as it's got wheels on the stand. It's also perfect for adding things to.

Advertisement