Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

ULSU to Cease Being A Retail Operator on Campus

Options
2»

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,241 ✭✭✭Funkstard

Jester252 wrote: »
    What the deal with the new private owner of the shop having to pay some of hie/her profits to the SU? What will he be getting from the deal
    What is Daly saying about the size been wrong? everyday the shop is packed and hard to move around I would hate to seen it a a quarter of the size

I had a semester and a bit of the old shop (along with one proper christmas daze back when exams were after christmas so everyone could go nuts at it) and it was tiny, queues out the door and snaking around the aisles. One little capsule coffee machine, forget what the deli was like but it was tiny too. The main courtyard didn't have much going on back then (no shop or javas), all the action was between the shop and the stables courtyard.

Sigh. Back in yonder times when there was a bus service for Thomond & Cappavilla residents to bring us into college.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

How can a shop such as that spar not be profitable?

UL has 10000 ish students and it is the only shop on campus, probably most people will buy a roll for 4 and a coke so the average spend would be around 3 to 5 euro per customer.

Lets say they get 1000 transaction a day that is a minimum of 3000, so about 2700 net sales after tax.

obviously they make nothing on the weekend so for 5 days they can make about 12 000 euro varying from 10 to 14 depending.

If you go in and wait in the queue just look at the ladies behind the counter more interested in talking to each other than serving customers, they are confused about who is next and are all walking around like headless chickens.
    They should have a style similiar to subway since they are so busy.

It is probably a good thing it is going private as they can get in a proper manager who wont be afraid to give the staff a kick up the arse and can increase the profits and decrease the waiting time.

also why do people only queue up in one row when there is 2 tils operating.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,363 ✭✭✭Popoutman

lkionm wrote: »
    also why do people only queue up in one row when there is 2 tils operating.

Because that has been shown to have the highest throughput of customers. Ever wonder why the likes of TkMaxx do things this way?

If there's a delay at one till, instead of that queue unmoving behind it, the people that would have been delayed get to go ahead.

By queueing in one line for more than one till, the average person gets away faster than they would have otherwise.

(also in the SU shop, it has to do with when a second till opens, that it is very difficult to move to the parallel queueing area)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,407 ✭✭✭lkionm

I always feel bad about being that guy that starts the second queue.
    it just feels nicer to be in a queue of 4 rather than a queue of 8.

Its not important, it just annoyed me and everyone would stand and look at it and be pure awkward.

• Registered Users Posts: 857 ✭✭✭Polar Ice

lkionm wrote: »
    I always feel bad about being that guy that starts the second queue.
    it just annoyed me and everyone would stand and look at it and be pure awkward.
    That's because you're skipping the queue

• Advertisement
Advertisement