Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Cooking with Coca Cola

Options
  • 18-04-2012 2:24pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,556 ✭✭✭

I have some pork chops that I am planning on cooking in cola this evening. Firstly, I only have diet coke in the house. Will this do or is it the sugar that makes the recipe. Secondly, how do I go about doing this, soak in coke then fry or pour the coke in the pan with it? Theres lots of variations online with ketchup an all. Just looking for a simple easy coke recipe.

Thanks

Comments

• Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 30,657 Mod ✭✭✭✭Faith

You need the sugar. There's several threads about this in the forum already if you use the Search function.

• Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Sn@kebite

Just be aware that cola and all sodas are not good for you at all. It was only recently that Coca Cola removed a potentially cancer causing chemical (caramel) from their drinks to avoid having to put cancer warning labels on their bottles.

Also Aspartame is a synthetic sweetener which is linked to cancer (in rats at least), and then there's good old phosphoric acid which erodes every part of your body slowly esp. teeth.
    http://naturalsociety.com/coca-cola-removes-carcinogen-to-avoid-cancer-warning-label/
    9. Opposing studies showed the opposite – that *low* intake of phosphorus leads to lower bone density. Guess who funded the studies? PepsiCo.

10. Aside from the risk of osteoporosis, Cola consumption has also been linked to chronic kidney disease and kidney stones.

11. According to the Center for Science in the Public Interest (CSPI), a consumer watchdog group not affiliated with the food industry, only a small fraction of the phosphate in the American diet comes from additives in soft drinks. Most comes from meat and dairy products. So your reason for not drinking Coke should be its sugar content and artificial food colorings, not the phosphoric acid.

http://blog.fooducate.com/2009/06/30/11-quick-facts-about-phosphoric-acid-yes-that-chemical-in-coca-cola/

The levels may be low but cola can clean rust from metal, can clean toilets and dissolves nails and screws. So just be aware of this.

• Registered Users Posts: 16,942 ✭✭✭✭the beer revolu

Sn@kebite wrote: »

The levels may be low but cola can clean rust from metal, can clean toilets and dissolves nails and screws. So just be aware of this.

So does ketchup.

Imagine the damage that the acid in our stomachs would do to various objects yet it does us no damage at all.

I think taken in large quantities regularly, the likes of Coke could be damaging but to suggest that cooking a few chops in a glass of coke is potentially harmful is quite ridiculous!

• Registered Users Posts: 65,317 ✭✭✭✭unkel
    Chauffe, Marcel, chauffe!

As long as you drink less than 14,967 cans of coke a day, you'll be fine!

• Registered Users Posts: 3,612 ✭✭✭Kat1170

and dissolves nails and screws. So just be aware of this.

So does water ;):rolleyes:

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 263 ✭✭Sn@kebite

I think taken in large quantities regularly, the likes of Coke could be damaging but to suggest that cooking a few chops in a glass of coke is potentially harmful is quite ridiculous!
    "Be aware" does not mean in danger or potentially in danger, it just means be aware. There is nothing ridiculous about making someone aware of something they may not have previously been aware of.

Also I do believe our stomach lining is designed (naturally) to tolerate up to a certain potency of hydrochloric acid. So while our stomach has evolved to produce hydrochloric acid, I doubt phosphoric acid would be deemed as natural to our stomach. Again, I'm not trying to cause a scene, just making a point.

• Registered Users Posts: 39,258 ✭✭✭✭Mellor

"Be aware" does not mean in danger or potentially in danger, it just means be aware. There is nothing ridiculous about making someone aware of something they may not have previously been aware of.

Also I do believe our stomach lining is designed (naturally) to tolerate up to a certain potency of hydrochloric acid. So while our stomach has evolved to produce hydrochloric acid, I doubt phosphoric acid would be deemed as natural to our stomach. Again, I'm not trying to cause a scene, just making a point.
    If the lining can cope with HC acid, then coca-cola isn't going to erode it.

• Registered Users Posts: 41 BloatedPope

So does ketchup.

Imagine the damage that the acid in our stomachs would do to various objects yet it does us no damage at all.

Well said. If we were to get into a discussion on what foods contain potentially dangerous substances this thread would never end. Almost everything is fine in moderation

• Registered Users Posts: 2,774 ✭✭✭Minder

Just be aware that cola and all sodas are not good for you at all. It was only recently that Coca Cola removed a potentially cancer causing chemical (caramel) from their drinks to avoid having to put cancer warning labels on their bottles.

Not caramel, but 4-Methylimidazole which gives cola its caramel colour. As with all these things, the distinction is very important. Don't want to start a toffee scare!

• Registered Users Posts: 1,681 ✭✭✭confusticated

Slunk wrote: »
    I have some pork chops that I am planning on cooking in cola this evening. Firstly, I only have diet coke in the house. Will this do or is it the sugar that makes the recipe. Secondly, how do I go about doing this, soak in coke then fry or pour the coke in the pan with it? Theres lots of variations online with ketchup an all. Just looking for a simple easy coke recipe.

Thanks
    Faith wrote: »
    You need the sugar. There's several threads about this in the forum already if you use the Search function.

I searched but this and a slow-cooked pulled pork recipe were the only things to come up. OP (or anyone else!) how did you do this in the end? I'm only cooking for one but got lots of pork last week and there's a can of coke in the fridge so wouldn't mind giving it a bash. There're loads of conflicting things online, and some add sugar as well which seems like a lot of sugar with coke already being so sweet. Very much open to suggestions here! :)

• Advertisement
Advertisement