Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

What piece advice do you wish you had got at school?

• 18-04-2012 2:32pm
    Registered Users Posts: 47

I wish I had been encouraged to take a gap year and go travelling before going to uni

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,041 ✭✭✭Seachmall

"Fuck this shit, you'll die alone anyway."

Had any teacher said this it would've saved me hours of frustration.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,198 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Never play leapfrog with a unicorn!

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,327 ✭✭✭Sykk

None. I'm quite happy the way things are at the moment. They'd be different if I'd have listened to different advice.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,331 ✭✭✭Guill

Emmigrate after school.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,921 ✭✭✭John Doe1

plunder pussy

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,358 ✭✭✭✭Birneybau

Buy shares in Apple.

Twas the late 90's.

• Registered Users Posts: 832 ✭✭✭harvester of sorrow

Dont eat yellow snow:(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,456 ✭✭✭✭Mr Benevolent

Forget about the points & college, just get a job. Oh, and talk to girls.

• Registered Users Posts: 470 ✭✭Fran1985

exams mean **** all in the real world if you're **** at your job

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 81,220 ✭✭✭✭biko

"Don't be such a eejit, biko"

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 3,753 ✭✭✭davet82

they're is always somebody better so stop wasting your time :(

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 11,139 Mod ✭✭✭✭Mr. Manager

All the advice I got at school was pretty much right on the nose. I just chose not to listen to it... :o

• Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 10,440 Mod ✭✭✭✭xzanti

Bread is making you fat. Don't eat it.

Be nice to your parents, they aren't around forever.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,966 ✭✭✭✭syklops

Wear sunscreen.

• Registered Users Posts: 88 ✭✭Pupito

"Take dead aim on the rich boys. Get them in the crosshairs and take them down. Just remember, they can buy anything but they can't buy backbone. Don't let them forget it."

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,159 ✭✭✭frag420

always wipe front to back and double up on the bog roll

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 128 ✭✭excaliburhc

that life is all about perception and who you know .

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 593 ✭✭✭Scráib

Don't be afraid to try new things. And excercise. Life is better when you're fit, somehow.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,528 ✭✭✭foxyboxer

Do not practice 10,000 punches.
    Practice one punch 10,000 times.

Or alternatively find your niche.

Do things that you love and have a passion for.
    Try to find a way of getting paid for your passion(s)'s.

Don't do things just to please other people or because it's what's expected of you. You have to take care of yourself. Therein lies true happiness.

I also think that when someone leaves school that the following advice be drilled into them.

A part of all you earn is yours to keep.

i.e. save a minimum of 10% everytime you get paid (even social welfare) and live off the remaining 90%. That way over the course of your life you will not have any worries when you reach old age.

e.g. a 20 year old saving 18 a week for 10 years equates to €9,360 over 10 years.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,738 ✭✭✭Naos

foxyboxer wrote: »
    Do not practice 10,000 punches.
    Practice one punch 10,000 times.

Or alternatively find your niche.

But Sir, Sir! How do you find your niche if you cannot practise different punches?

• Registered Users Posts: 1,903 ✭✭✭Napper Hawkins

The majority of what you're being taught is useless. The leaving cert is nothing more than a test to see how willing you are to be pushed around and not question your superiors. Life won't be the mountain of ****e they tell you it will be if you don't do well. You're still just a child for fux sake and have your whole life to find your way. Happiness is the most important thing in life and no job is worth the sacrificing of said happiness.

Pay no attention to anything your government tells you, your best interests are the least of their concerns.

Leave Ireland as soon as you get the chance and never return.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,591 ✭✭✭patmac

Make sure you put the word of into the title of a thread you might start later in life.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,073 ✭✭✭Pottler

These exams you are sweating over? They're a load of sh1te. Despite slogging and doing very well, you will never, ever use them or be asked how you did. Concentrate instead on perfecting the art of chatting up girls and dressing well. It will get you further and will be far, far more fun.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,211 ✭✭✭Owen_S

Don't cut the red wire.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 882 ✭✭✭ygolometsipe

The reason grown-ups are so fond of drink, is because it make's them think and feel like you are right now.:)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 12,395 ✭✭✭✭mikemac1

Don't listen to talk about bullies being unloved and lashing out and insecure and low self esteem and other such nonsense, sob sob

All that does is make it seem it's not their fault they give you hassle daily

The schoolyard bully reacts to one thing and it's a fist in the face

Advertisement