Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

C&C SuperDrift Round 1

• 18-04-2012 2:44pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

I've only started taking photography a bit more seriously lately and this was the first event that I have attended where I was given media access and the 4th event I've ever shot. It was a horrible, rainy day in Cork's kartworld, WaterGrassHill for SuperDrift Round 1. The conditions really didn't help any of the images.

I would like everyone's comments on the images cause if I don't listen to the people I look up to like Paddy McGrath (the main reason I got into photography looking at his photos of Eric O'Sullivans cam when I was 16), I am never gonna learn and improve.

Thanks,
    Adam O'Connor

https://www.facebook.com/AdamOCPhotography

6944287648_71b5aa9e0a_c.jpg

6944287150_419e1141bf_c.jpg

7090358539_a4626c234d_c.jpg

6944292374_4fcf6fa5c0_c.jpg

7090358411_11629935a6_c.jpg

7090358907_f4f96653f9_c.jpg

6944288272_5a55312d7f_c.jpg

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,235 ✭✭✭bullpost

Technically excellent considering the conditions. No. 1 is pick of the bunch for me.

Very nice. Can't help but feel they're a little on the dark side, though.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,026 ✭✭✭kelly1

Yeah, I'd increase the exposure by about 1/3 or so. I'd also warm up the white balance. I'm also thinking the cars are too central in the frame. But great shots, nice panning.

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Adz247

bullpost wrote: »
    Technically excellent considering the conditions. No. 1 is pick of the bunch for me.

Thanks, yeah alot of them were ruined by rain on the lens
    Very nice. Can't help but feel they're a little on the dark side, though.

I was trying to bump up the settings but between lashing rain and splitting sunshine every 2 minutes, it was hard balancing, thanks for the comment
    kelly1 wrote: »
    Yeah, I'd increase the exposure by about 1/3 or so. I'd also warm up the white balance. I'm also thinking the cars are too central in the frame. But great shots, nice panning.

Ive some shots with cars off center, that's just a selection, Im still trying out new angles and directions for them, thanks

All comments are definitely taken on board for next round...:D

and heres a funny one from the day out....:rolleyes:

Only In Ireland

7091045729_ef7607f027_c.jpg

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 317 ✭✭foamcutter

Nice images Adam considering the conditions and the light (or lack of it). At the least the drivers had no problem getting the cars sideways, but they probably prefer drifting with smoke pouring off the tyres.
    I was in Kartworld for a round of the MI Kart Championships and we were bathed in sunshine for most of the weekend, with no sideways action at all.
    I think they images could have looked better if they were drifting/driving into a space e.g. if the cars in pic's 1, 2 & 4 were left of centre.
    Saying that, I like the empty space in the last image and the motion blur.

foamcutter wrote: »
    Nice images Adam considering the conditions and the light (or lack of it). At the least the drivers had no problem getting the cars sideways, but they probably prefer drifting with smoke pouring off the tyres.
    I was in Kartworld for a round of the MI Kart Championships and we were bathed in sunshine for most of the weekend, with no sideways action at all.
    I think they images could have looked better if they were drifting/driving into a space e.g. if the cars in pic's 1, 2 & 4 were left of centre.
    Saying that, I like the empty space in the last image and the motion blur.

Everyone single event I cover, it seems to horribly overcast and wet, I'm cursed. Yeah, the drifting always gets faster, and adds drama to the photos when smokes involved (like below from Mondello recently). Yeah I've experimented with off center images before hand, I dunno why I framed some of them close to the center and then I kinda had to crop them for symmetry. Thanks for the tips, Im going to DriftFest in Galway on Sunday, all criticism and comments will definitely be needed and taken on board...:)

7091730879_c1091e66c9_c.jpg

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 90 ✭✭windingo

I understand the weather conditions must have been rubbish hence the darkness, but you consistently produce equally good pictures, keep it up! number one is my favourite to!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,930 ✭✭✭✭challengemaster

You've managed to get used to panning properly anyway, and that's a good start. The worst thing to look at is cars apparently parked on the track

In terms of the photos you've posted - the conditions may be crap but all the exposures are dark, you've lost some details in the blacks as far as I can see. You can afford to process them somewhat, brighten them up, just don't HDR them... :)

As for future events - there's more and more 'photographers' (people with cameras) at drift events each year, the biggest achievement will be to take photos that stand out from everyone else that was there, as it's a safe bet most can take identical images to the ones above (that's not intended as something bad towards you)

You've managed to get used to panning properly anyway, and that's a good start. The worst thing to look at is cars apparently parked on the track

In terms of the photos you've posted - the conditions may be crap but all the exposures are dark, you've lost some details in the blacks as far as I can see. You can afford to process them somewhat, brighten them up, just don't HDR them... :)

As for future events - there's more and more 'photographers' (people with cameras) at drift events each year, the biggest achievement will be to take photos that stand out from everyone else that was there, as it's a safe bet most can take identical images to the ones above (that's not intended as something bad towards you)

Thanks for the exposure feedback, Im gonna be in Galway for another drifting event so Ill test it out then, and trust me, Ive long since pasted on the days of HDR, thank god.

Ive been attending each day for about 3 years now just as a spectator when I could, and every single time I go, theres new "photography" faces around, except for the seasoned veterans like Paddy and Martin Cunningham. Im just working on getting my techniques and basic skills up at the moment, but Im already getting bored of that, so I need to test myself.

thanks for the comments lad, I know its not meant in that way, sure If I cant take criticism for my work, Im never gonna learn, cause Im still baby in this sector and Im always looking for tips...:)

• Advertisement
Advertisement