Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Ipad 3 Bought in USA

• 18-04-2012 3:07pm
    Registered Users Posts: 26

Hi, are there any issues with buying an ipad 3 in the US. Apart from the customs issues. Thanks

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,767 ✭✭✭Doodah7

The only thing is the charger which can be picked up here. Other than that, there is no difference.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 21,264 ✭✭✭✭Hobbes

Where are you buying it? If it is the Apple store online, you will need a US address to ship to.

Otherwise it is just a case of changing the charger. Also keep it in your carry on luggage.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,244 ✭✭✭Boscoirl

Or if you are flying back into Shannon, there is a good chance that all the customs people are having their breakfast

• Registered Users Posts: 26 Steelpony

Thanks guys, will get it in the next few weeks so.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 290 ✭✭Atomicjuicer

You've no warranty if anything goes wrong.

Considering the cost difference between US and Ireland is not that much you might be better off buying (and later selling) locally.

• Advertisement
  • Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

You've no warranty if anything goes

Not true. iPads have a worldwide warranty.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,922 ✭✭✭Soarer

What is this iPad 3 you talk about?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 5,213 ✭✭✭culabula

You've no warranty if anything goes wrong.

Considering the cost difference between US and Ireland is not that much you might be better off buying (and later selling) locally.

This is incorrect. Warranty is worldwide.

:pac:
    Soarer wrote: »

:pac:

culabula wrote: »
    This is incorrect. Warranty is worldwide.

To clarify - I meant you effectively have no warranty because:

A) You can't return it to the store where you bought it
    B) it will cost you to post back and forth to manufacturer

Buying locally is smarter these days.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

Soarer wrote: »

The one that came after iPad 2, oh numerically challenged, marketing brainwashed one :rolleyes:

Actually you are incorrect. Apple support will support the device as long as it is sold within your country and you have AppleCare. I have bought devices from UK, NI and US. Plus I've shipped stuff for relatives in South Korea. So unless the policy changed in the last couple of months, he should be fine.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,378 ✭✭✭andy1249

A) You can't return it to the store where you bought it
    B) it will cost you to post back and forth to manufacturer

Buying locally is smarter these days.

Having had trouble with my ipad 2 at one point , I know that you can have it fixed or replaced under warranty at any apple store anywhere in the world , as long as you have your receipt.
    Had mine fixed in phoenix , bought it in Ireland. Apple are great like that.

However , buying abroad means duty and vat on bringing it back into the country , thats ( cost of item x duty ) x 23 % vat. Which costs more than it does to buy here.

Duty is 0 I think , due to the nature of the goods and its price , the cheaper models in any case , but 23% vat still applies.

Now , I know theres a lot of suggestions about throwing away packaging and lying about where it was bought and all that guff , but know that that is completely and entirely illegal , its smuggling , and if you get caught , on your own head be it !

There is no apple store in Ireland.

Do you have to pay for apple care or postage?

In the past, certain apple products were not available in Ireland (like the original iPhone). It made sense to import these for a number of cost reasons - the majority of which are irrelevant today.

In the past, certain apple products were not available in Ireland (like the original iPhone). It made sense to import these for a number of cost reasons - the majority of which are irrelevant today.

Simply get the train up to Belfast if you need it fixed or replaced fast. Otherwise ring Apple in Cork. There is no issue.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,680 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

There are several AASPs in Ireland as well that will repair iPads under warranty.

There is one in Belfast and also the online store.

Applecare is included in the price for the first year. You can buy 2 more years within the first year as well.

They send you a package to post the item if you need to get it fixed.

Thanks for info

• Moderators, Business & Finance Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 15,004 Mod ✭✭✭✭whiterebel

Hobbes wrote: »
    There is one in Belfast and also the online store.

Applecare is included in the price for the first year. You can buy 2 more years within the first year as well.

They send you a package to post the item if you need to get it fixed.

Only 1 extra on iDevices. Extra 2 on MBP, MBA, Mac Pro and iMac.

• Registered Users Posts: 117 ✭✭cedan

I bought an ipad2 off ebay new from a company called digigoods (i think). Very smooth transaction and they even included the proper charger adapter. Got it much cheaper too.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,401 ✭✭✭Nonoperational

Any issue with an iPad just phone Apple and they'll sent you a prepaid UPS box to return it in and return a new (refurb) one to you in a few days with no charge.

Advertisement