Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Wireless fine, but can't use cable

• 18-04-2012 3:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭

Hi

I'm hoping someone here can help me- I can use the internet and connect fine to my new UPC router wirelessly, but when I used my ethernet cable, I can't use the internet. I can access the router, but can get no further. I'm using Windows Vista, and the connection says, "Local Only". The thing is, when I use Ubuntu, there are no problems! Any thoughts?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,724 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

It sounds like you might be using a patch cable rather than a crossover cable?

http://www.ehow.com/about_6604783_difference-ethernet-patch-crossover-cable.html

• Registered Users Posts: 76 ✭✭Blong!hahaha

I'm not sure, but it works in Ubuntu, but not Windows, so I know the problem has to be there. I've tried resetting everything many times. :(

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,308 ✭✭✭pizzahead77

Is the Ethernet connection on your Windows pc set to dynamic or static ip addressing?

What is the model of the UPC router you have?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,016 ✭✭✭✭vibe666

It sounds like you might be using a patch cable rather than a crossover cable?

http://www.ehow.com/about_6604783_difference-ethernet-patch-crossover-cable.html
    that wouldn't make any difference on a modern router, assuming they were made after 1998, both the NIC and/or (and it only needs one of them to support it for it to work) router should have auto-MDIX that will auto sense what type of cable is used and adjust themselves accordingly.

if its working in another OS on the same machine then it could be proxy settings in your browser, or some kind of spyware/virus blocking the connection or something like that.

reset the browser settings, try a different browser and do an antivirus/antispyware scan and see how you go from there.

Thanks for those replies guys.

The modem/router is a Cisco EPC 3925.

I have tried other browsers but I can see the icon in the bottom right of the screen is just the two monitors - when I have an internet connection it's always two monitors with a little globe between them. I've tried everything I can think of, but it still says, "Local Only".

Is there something in Windows I could reset in order to force it to come up with new settings that will work?

• Advertisement

Ok, I think I've solved this! On my LAN connection, one of the TCP/IP protocols was set to some DNS server address, and I don't know how it got set that way. I changed it to 'Obtain DNS server address automatically', and it's working now! :)

Advertisement