Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Banned from AH

Options
  • 18-04-2012 3:31pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭

I wish to dispute an 3-day AH ban by Biko on principal, for what was viewed as an "uncivil comment".

Post Link

The comment in question "A genetic dead-end to a malfunctioning mindset." was taken without considering the whole post.

I laid out an argument that sexual orientation and adherence to gender roles is what got us all through hundreds of millions of years of evolution, natural selection and sexual selection.

Anyone who fails to procreate, or has a mindset that reduces their ability/will to procreate is malfunctioning in that context I had set out.

They would be a genetic dead-end, ie. if you plot their family/ancestral tree it would end with them.

I don't agree that it was "gay bashing" as Biko states.
    It was an argument that if you fail to follow millions of years of gender based behaviour then you're more than likely ruling yourself out of the future gene pool.

regards,
    CD

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

You may hold the view that the biological imperative to procreate and pass on each individual's genetic code is "the only goal that matters in life", but I think most modern societies and individuals have evolved beyond that type of simplistic thinking.

And I'm afraid you are just going to have to accept that describing those who do not conform to what you obviously see as the ideal heterosexual norm as having a "malfunctioning mindset" will be considered offensive by most people these days.

Could you have made your point without straying over the line between holding / promoting an unpopular opinion and denigrating / insulting people?

Yes, I think you could have, quite easily actually.

Therefore I am upholding this ban.

You may ofc ask an admin to review it further if you so wish.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 8,015 ✭✭✭CreepingDeath

And I'm afraid you are just going to have to accept that describing those who do not conform to what you obviously see as the ideal heterosexual norm as having a "malfunctioning mindset" will be considered offensive by most people these days.

The poster I responded too was proposing that we shouldn't teach children how to act like boys/girls. That was a very controversial viewpoint. A member of a minority group wants everyone else to change their parenting style and bring up their children to suit his/her beliefs.

Are we not allowed to challenge these casual remarks that are thrown around in AH as a trap so that the politically correct mob can gang up on anyone who contradicts them?
    Could you have made your point without straying over the line between holding / promoting an unpopular opinion and denigrating / insulting people?

It was put bluntly, but sometimes being concise puts the point across more effectively in a debate.

• Registered Users Posts: 29,509 ✭✭✭✭randylonghorn

The poster I responded too was proposing that we shouldn't teach children how to act like boys/girls. That was a very controversial viewpoint. A member of a minority group wants everyone else to change their parenting style and bring up their children to suit his/her beliefs.

Are we not allowed to challenge these casual remarks that are thrown around in AH as a trap so that the politically correct mob can gang up on anyone who contradicts them?
    No-one is stopping you from challenging viewpoints you don't agree with; in fact, if you read my post, I clearly upheld your right to hold and promote your opinion regardless of how unpopular it might be, and implicit in that is obviously the right to challenge differing opinions.

IMHO though, and obviously in the opinion of the mod who banned you, you strayed beyond that into the derogatory and the offensive or, as the Boards lexicon would have it, the "uncivil".
    It was put bluntly, but sometimes being concise puts the point across more effectively in a debate.
    Again, neither concise nor blunt is a problem; in fact, while I would lay no claims to being concise, I can often be fairly blunt myself both IRL and on here.

But whether you see it or not, I think the general consensus would be that you took it well beyond concise and blunt, or even challenging, in your last comment. Certainly that is my view.

Now, I have no intention whatsoever of rehashing the subject matter of that thread here, or engaging in arguments related to it.

You have asked for your ban to be reviewed; it has been and it has been upheld.

As stated, you have the option to ask an Admin to review it if you feel that there is any likelihood that they will see it differently.

Advertisement