Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Appalling ADSL speeds Middle Glanmire Rd area Cork

Options
  • 18-04-2012 3:33pm
    Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭

I am moving house shortly and enquired into the average speeds of ADSL users in the Tracton estate off Middle Glanmire Rd in Cork City (local exchange is Wellington Rd approx 2km away) and was told that people in the estate were averaging about 2Mbit/sec

How can it be so low be given the relative closeness to the exchange (which is NGB enabled I believe)?

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

I am moving house shortly and enquired into the average speeds of ADSL users in the Tracton estate off Middle Glanmire Rd in Cork City (local exchange is Wellington Rd approx 2km away) and was told that people in the estate were averaging about 2Mbit/sec

How can it be so low be given the relative closeness to the exchange (which is NGB enabled I believe)?

Hi speedbird834,

Thanks for your query. I have looked at broadband availability in your proposed area. This indicates that you will most likely be classified as in an amber or extended reach region. That is the local loop from your local exchange may be 2KM or more from your premises (**Please see ADSL below). The Wellington Road exhange, is divided into two areas, both are enabled for *NGB (up to *8Mb). The probable expected speed on either side of the exchange to your proposed area (Tracton estate off Middle Glanmire Rd) would be upto 3Mb.

The local loop (phone-to-premises) from the exchange distribution point may not be a direct line to a specific location or premises.

*NGB itself, or Next Generation Broadband, is essentially fibre powered broadband, which guarantees consistent download speeds, whatever time of the day, even at peak times. NGB is a free upgrade up to *8Mb (or up to*24Mb in cases).

**ADSL is rate adaptive based technology, which means that your broadband connection speed is governed by the distance from your premises to the exchange.. Upgrading to NGB won't change the distance or what your broadband connection pre-qualifies for. See www.ngb.ie for more information.

Let me know if I can assist you further.

Kind regards,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 59 ✭✭speedbird834

Thanks for the prompt response Ant.
    3Mb/s is borderline for me as I work from home a lot and there are other users/devices sharing the connection - will have to investigate other options

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Thanks for the prompt response Ant.
    3Mb/s is borderline for me as I work from home a lot and there are other users/devices sharing the connection - will have to investigate other options

Hi speedbird,

I appreciate you getting back to me. Let me know if I can help you any time.

Best wishes,
    Ant

Advertisement