Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Graphics card box vs the card itself question

Options
  • 18-04-2012 3:45pm
    Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭

Hey people,

Just a quick question that has been on my mind since i started trying to sell this card, i have a Radeon HD 4870 up for sale on adverts.ie and someone asked me the question as to why on the box of the advert it says that the card is a 2GB GDDR5.

It is a 1GB GDDR5 card, as i used to use 2 of them in a previous build but both boxes said 2GB GDDR5 on them and i dont know why.

When i first received them i thought there was a mix up and i was given a better card or something until i put them in my machine.

Thought that maybe someone here might know.

Below is the picture in question:
    1fc1c1c2db5852e08ffc380475e263364a5a69037a70d1afe846e0e2121038d0.jpg

Comments

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

They definately made 2GB Vapor-X cards, so if you are absoluitly certain it is a 1GB version it must be a packaging error.

• Registered Users Posts: 360 ✭✭Nirnias

marco_polo wrote: »
    They definately made 2GB Vapor-X cards, so if you are absoluitly certain it is a 1GB version it must be a packaging error.

Yeh im certain it is a 1GB, as the first thing i did when i had the PC built was to check if it was a 1GB or a 2GB card, and it shows up as a 1GB unfortunately lol.

Could be a packaging error i guess, but on both cards that i happened to order? strange.

• Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators Posts: 10,079 Mod ✭✭✭✭marco_polo

Mmm two sounds a bit too much of a coincidence. What software did you use to check it, it may be reporting the Vapour-X memory incorrectly? Maybe give GPU-z a whirl and see what it say.

Doesn't matter too much either way as an extra 1GB memory on a (now) lower-middle mid range card like the HD4870 is about as useful as a third nipple anyway. :p

Aye true enough, i only ask cause im selling it on and someone asked that question as to why it has 2GB on the box if it is a 1GB card.

If i have the time ill take my newer cards out of my computer and pop in the radeon to double check it is a 1gb and not a 2gb with CPU-Z but im fairly sure it is.

Think i used the DXDiag tool to check as well as the Device Manager.. I did use CPU-Z in my previous build with those radeon cards but i dont recall what it said in it.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,983 ✭✭✭Tea_Bag

GPU-z not CPU-z :P

• Advertisement

Ah derp, i was in work when reading it so just skimmed through the post, im familiar with CPU-Z, never used the GPU-Z one though. Makes sense though.

Advertisement