Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Insurance cost?

• 18-04-2012 3:51pm
    Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭

Would anyone be able to tell me the rough cost of insurance for a 24yo female, just after getting full license, address not in a city and on an automatic car.. 1.6 as an example.. random question I know but just trying to figure out if I can afford to get insured before I start looking for a car :o

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

It all depends on you - ring around for quotes on a couple of the cars you're considering before you start car shopping. Make sure to get all quotes in writing.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 23,862 ✭✭✭✭January

MissRetro wrote: »
    Would anyone be able to tell me the rough cost of insurance for a 24yo female, just after getting full license, address not in a city and on an automatic car.. 1.6 as an example.. random question I know but just trying to figure out if I can afford to get insured before I start looking for a car :o
    How long is a piece of string? I'm 24 with a provisional, 2 years named driver exp and live in a suburb of dublin. Got a quote for 798 with tesco for a 1.3 and 1560 for same car with 123.ie

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

Pick a car that you like off Carzone/DoneDeal and go on to some of the insurers websites and fill in the online quote system. Youll do better than the quote that you get when you actually ring around to insure a car, but itll give you a good guide as the price that you can expect to pay.

Noone on here will be able to give you anything even resembling a ballpark figure; there are simply too many variables that the insurers take into account so each case is different.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 240 ✭✭eg6 vtec

find out what car suits you best, put on the kettle pull out the phone book and call them all, its the only way you will find out

• Closed Accounts Posts: 29,473 ✭✭✭✭Our man in Havana

Anan1 wrote: »
    It all depends on you - ring around for quotes on a couple of the cars you're considering before you start car shopping. Make sure to get all quotes in writing.
    I doubt you can even get a written quote these days.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fiona

If you go with Axa make sure you tell them that you are part of a credit union and they will give you an extra 5% discount.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,739 ✭✭✭scamalert

round 800,from most brokers or close to that,might be lower thou.

scamalert wrote: »
    round 800,from most brokers or close to that,might be lower thou.

Based on what exactly? My girlfriend got her first insurance a little over a year ago on a 1.4 Polo, 23 years of age and she paid (I think) €1200 for it.

• Registered Users Posts: 138 ✭✭MissRetro

djimi wrote: »
    Pick a car that you like off Carzone/DoneDeal and go on to some of the insurers websites and fill in the online quote system. Youll do better than the quote that you get when you actually ring around to insure a car, but itll give you a good guide as the price that you can expect to pay.

Noone on here will be able to give you anything even resembling a ballpark figure; there are simply too many variables that the insurers take into account so each case is different.

Just tried this on Tesco.ie. I got a quote for €454.29 without putting in that it was an automatic (because there was no field for this). Would an automatic normally be cheaper to insure? (& tax?). Also, there were no fields covering driving experience so don't know if it could be that accurate but happily surprised at the moment. Thanks!

MissRetro wrote: »
    Just tried this on Tesco.ie. I got a quote for €454.29 without putting in that it was an automatic (because there was no field for this). Would an automatic normally be cheaper to insure? (& tax?). Also, there were no fields covering driving experience so don't know if it could be that accurate but happily surprised at the moment. Thanks!

If it was one of those "quick quotes" where you stick in your age and the make/model of the car then its not going to bear any resemblence to a real quote! Go onto something like Chill or 123 and fill out their full quote (youll be asked for a page of personal details and driving experience, then asked about the car, convictions, claims etc). A full quote from one of those sites will give you a better ballpark figure of what you can expect to pay.

Im not actually sure if automatic will have any bearing on the quote you get. I wouldnt have thought so (I dont see why it would) but when it comes to insurance nothing would surprise me!

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 22,815 ✭✭✭✭Anan1

I doubt you can even get a written quote these days.
    I'm sure you can, Aviva still post written renewal quotes out to me. Don't ever underestimate the backwardness of insurance companies! Especially when you're young, Murphy's law dictates that the one competitive quote you've been relying on will subsequently turn out to have been a mistake if you don't have it down in black & white.

Anan1 wrote: »
    I'm sure you can, Aviva still post written renewal quotes out to me. Don't ever underestimate the backwardness of insurance companies! Especially when you're young, Murphy's law dictates that the one competitive quote you've been relying on will subsequently turn out to have been a mistake if you don't have it down in black & white.

I get renewal letters also but Im not sure about getting a new quote. I would have thought that if you get the quote reference number then it should be valid on their system for 30 days or whatever and that would be sufficient?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 16,793 ✭✭✭✭Francie Barrett

A 24 year old with a full licence and no no claims bonus in a 1.6 litre car will probably be looking at €1,000+ for a quote.

Advertisement