Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Insurance Claim Query!

Options
  • 18-04-2012 4:01pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 3

I'm having a nightmare with my insurance company, has anybody been throught this. My rental property was flood damaged and the insurance company are fighting with me over the occupancy of the property. My tenents had moved out shorthly prior to the damage and I was there myself on and off so that my insurance would not lapse. Can anyone constitute what the law says on the wording of "occupied" or guide me to any case law for reference purposes.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,438 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

It's more pertinent to see how your policy defines the word 'occupied' than ask for a legal definition here. So it's unlikely that anyone can answer the question without seeing your policy document.

If you can't agree with the insurance company, you'll probably need to either go to the insurance ombudsman or check your policy to see if there is a defined arbitration process. If there is a defined arbitration process, you will be obliged (under the terms and conditions of the policy) to pursue that avenue rather than go to court.

• Registered Users Posts: 54 ✭✭mitzicat

For our holiday home it's a visit every 30 days just to check in on it. As poster above said it should be in your policy. If you purchased your insurance through a broker, call and yell at hm/her. You probably don't have your policy yourself-from my experience it's not common for insureds to have them. If you do not, email your insurance company for it.

Advertisement