Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Australian Call Centre

Options
  • 18-04-2012 4:21pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭

Just looking for a bit of info on this company as I have an interview with them tomorrow. From what ive been told by a friend is that you have to register as Self - Employed when working for them? Any one know if this is true?

Comments

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators, Regional South East Moderators Posts: 28,496 Mod ✭✭✭✭Cabaal

You have to register as self employed with working for your employer? Sounds very very dodgy to be honest, especially if its call centre work. Do you also have to use your own phone and pay for all your phone calls?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 455 ✭✭Elbows22

Cabaal wrote: »
    You have to register as self employed with working for your employer? Sounds very very dodgy to be honest, especially if its call centre work. Do you also have to use your own phone and pay for all your phone calls?

Yeah apparently its something to do with the commission on top of the basic wage - not sure thats why im trying to find out for certain before i waste my time going in.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,196 ✭✭✭CardBordWindow

Sounds kinda suspect!
    If you register as self-employed, you'll lose benefits. Am I right in saying that?

• Registered Users Posts: 767 ✭✭✭Odats

Badges of trade being applied if you're working in a call centre you should be on a PAYE basis and commission shouldn't be an issue.

It sounds dodgy.

Sounds kinda suspect!
    If you register as self-employed, you'll lose benefits. Am I right in saying that?

It does sound a bit dodgy alright. Then again I could be totally wrong........

• Advertisement

They are based in "Confederation House" behind John Kelly Opel Garage and their website is www.callmanagementinernational.com if that helps?

Do you know anyone who has worked in a call center? (Talk Talk, Ridney Dolphin, Aistech) Surely if it was common practice, they'd be able to tell you. I reckon it's anything but common practice though. Maybe ask in the Legal forum too?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,081 ✭✭✭wellboytoo

Elbows22 wrote: »
    They are based in "Confederation House" behind John Kelly Opel Garage and their website is www.callmanagementinernational.com if that helps?

dead link

wellboytoo wrote: »
    dead link
    www.callmanagementinternational.com He forgot the 't'

Ooops :)

• Advertisement

Do you know anyone who has worked in a call center? (Talk Talk, Ridney Dolphin, Aistech) Surely if it was common practice, they'd be able to tell you. I reckon it's anything but common practice though. Maybe ask in the Legal forum too?

Yeah I work in a call center myself and its not common practice here but this day and age your liable to come across anything.

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

It didn't happen in AOL/TalkTalk anyway. This sounds dodgy out, you'd want to find out if it being registered as self-employed affected social welfare benefits should you be let go or the place closes.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,165 ✭✭✭deisedave

I did a fas course that ran with the intention of training to work <snip> and no one in the course worked there after a few nights working there. <snip>

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

i was meant to go for interview but backed down after a pal of mine who is ex employee of talk talk was working there and came out of it after one night in the place did'nt even finish his shift left half way through it, your cold calling over 300 calls pershift i think you should well avoid me thinks

i was meant to go for interview but backed down after a pal of mine who is ex employee of talk talk was working there and came out of it after one night in the place did'nt even finish his shift left half way through it, your cold calling over 300 calls pershift i think you should well avoid me thinks

Did your friend know anything about the supposed registration for self employment?Think I will give it a miss

• Registered Users Posts: 1,319 ✭✭✭Trick of the Tail

That would be against tax laws. If your sole or main income is with one company then you are regarded by the Revenue as being employed by that company.

There are a few other conditions but enough would be satisfied by call-centre work.

Some unscrupulous companies try to do this as its cheaper for them - they don't have to pay employers' PRSI contribution or pension and they don't have to worry about processing your PAYE.

A.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,072 ✭✭✭sunnysoutheast

alinton wrote: »
    That would be against tax laws. If your sole or main income is with one company then you are regarded by the Revenue as being employed by that company.

There are a few other conditions but enough would be satisfied by call-centre work.

Some unscrupulous companies try to do this as its cheaper for them - they don't have to pay employers' PRSI contribution or pension and they don't have to worry about processing your PAYE.

A.

Is this some sort of enforced umbrella company arrangement?

Service companies can pay a third party umbrella company the gross rate and the umbrella company covers taxation and payroll for their employee, netting off allowable expenses. The person is an employee of the umbrella company, not the end client.

It's not unscrupulous per se, just a different way of doing business.

No idea if that is what is going on here though......

SSE

• Registered Users Posts: 781 ✭✭✭Nypd

If you register as self employed you go to "S" stamp and you lose any entitlements, i.e social welfare, medical card etc.
    This is not the first time I have heard a company doing this.
    As a poster above stated, this means the company does not have to pay any taxes, or holiday money to you.
    One thing that concerns me is that if you are not their employee, what insurance covers you ?, employers will have to have employers and public liability, do you now need to take out your own PL.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,827 ✭✭✭ex_infantry man

Did your friend know anything about the supposed registration for self employment?Think I will give it a miss
    he never said anything about this, must ask him when i see him next, but i think stay well clear, the evidence is clearly on the wall that they can't hold there staff as there advertising all over the internet on job sites for people like irishjobs and monster

• Registered Users Posts: 373 ✭✭LETS BE AVN IT

I also worked there very briefly . Its well hard work . Many people in there find management difficult but if u can handle loads of rejection and very very unsociable hours you might survive a month or two tops ! Money is good if u can do it but 95% of people will struggle even with sales experience , I say about 40-50 people have walked since January maybe 10-15 left.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,429 ✭✭✭Cedrus

Nypd wrote: »
    If you register as self employed you go to "S" stamp and you lose any entitlements, i.e social welfare, medical card etc.
    This is not the first time I have heard a company doing this.
    As a poster above stated, this means the company does not have to pay any taxes, or holiday money to you.
    One thing that concerns me is that if you are not their employee, what insurance covers you ?, employers will have to have employers and public liability, do you now need to take out your own PL.

This is not strictly true, S class contributions will not get you any 'Earned Entitlements' like Jobseekers benefit but you can pay AVCs to keep them. Means tested payments/entitlements like medical card, jobseekers assistance, income support etc are NOT affected by going self employed but you will have to be seriously poor to squeeze through the means test.

That aside it looks seriously dodgy to me if true, there's no justification to force people working in a fixed place of work to register as self employed. They sound like cut and run cowboys.

I also worked there very briefly . Its well hard work . Many people in there find management difficult but if u can handle loads of rejection and very very unsociable hours you might survive a month or two tops ! Money is good if u can do it but 95% of people will struggle even with sales experience , I say about 40-50 people have walked since January maybe 10-15 left.

If they pay you in the end and are willing to put up with being bullied. Hey mark btw :D

From what I saw they also tried using the fas course for cheap labour, I would not normally discourage someone from working somewhere but that place is just a no no.

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭DaleB91

Ive worked there. Hard hours, 4.30am till 11am, you get told no everyday of the week by someone so cold calls no different. Hard thing to sell but easy to overcome objections, money is good, there is an option of self employment but you can work normally aswel. Outta 300 calls make 5 of them sales and you'll be laughin! Its a paying job with good money, good people maybe not good bosses but good people working their. Whoever turns down a job because they dont like the hours or bull**** need a reality ****in check! You applied for the job so why refuse it?

• Registered Users Posts: 7,020 ✭✭✭BlaasForRafa

DaleB91 wrote: »
    Ive worked there. Hard hours, 4.30am till 11am, you get told no everyday of the week by someone so cold calls no different. Hard thing to sell but easy to overcome objections, money is good, there is an option of self employment but you can work normally aswel. Outta 300 calls make 5 of them sales and you'll be laughin! Its a paying job with good money, good people maybe not good bosses but good people working their. Whoever turns down a job because they dont like the hours or bull**** need a reality ****in check! You applied for the job so why refuse it?

Because some people don't want to work for a shady company with dodgy work practices and doing soul-destroying work. Just because there's a recession on doesn't mean that people have to throw standards out the window and accept being treated like slaves.

DaleB91 wrote: »

What reason did you leave then if its good money? Turning down the job would not be anything to do with unsociable hours as i have done it before - it would be to do with that i need a longterm job and not by jumping from one to another. There may be a recession but i do have morals also and i am not going to be associated with any shady companies that take advantage of staff

• Registered Users Posts: 108 ✭✭DaleB91

The reason i left is because i got a job i had applied for last time it came up but didnt get but got 2nd time around. I dunno how finishing work at 11am is unsocialable. You work for 6 and a half hours. Still have a full day free. Go bed at 8 in the evening and wake at half 3 thats 7 and a half hours, plenty of rest! I dunno how its dodgy or shady? Explain your reasons for it? Bunch of whingers about a job that none of yee worked in

What reason did you leave then if its good money? Turning down the job would not be anything to do with unsociable hours as i have done it before - it would be to do with that i need a longterm job and not by jumping from one to another. There may be a recession but i do have morals also and i am not going to be associated with any shady companies that take advantage of staff

Yeah if you are hard up for cash you could give it a go, but if you get offered anything else I would take that instead. I was told there is a chance to maybe make some money in there but even their website makes you know its not that legit, the website looks like its built by a two year old.

If you google the companies owner online you will see lots of malpractice suits over the net from his companies in India and Australia.

Advertisement