Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Using Macs in UCD

Options
  • 18-04-2012 5:02pm
    Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭

Hi There,

I'm starting a post grad course in Smurfit this September. On the UCD website it says that their tech systems dont support OSX. Just wondering if anyone has experience of using Mac in UCD and did you have to use bootcamp or parallels to get around it?

Edit: Apologies if this has already been discussed. Maybe someone can link me?

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

Saying that they don't 'support' OSX probably means that their help desk won't offer any assistance if you get stuck installing drivers or the like but I'd be 100% certain that they will facilitate connectivity i.e. you will be able to get on the network with a Macbook.

Making a Connection on your laptop

To use the UCD wireless network on your laptop you will need to do the following:

• All laptops must have the correct anti-virus and security software installed before connection to the University's Network
      • Check that your web browser options are not manually configured to use any other internet settings you may use elsewhere.
      • Select the wireless network to connect to. At the bottom of your screen (windows) or top right (mac) click on the wireless icon and view available networks. Select WaveLan.

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 11,017 Mod ✭✭✭✭yoyo

• Registered Users Posts: 136 ✭✭macsauce

thanks coylemj. I did ring them a while ago and they confirmed as much but i was surprised to hear the guy say he'd never seen windows running on a Mac. Anyway i went ahead and bought one in the hope that their support is based on the software rather than the hardware it is running on

• Registered Users Posts: 25,461 ✭✭✭✭coylemj

macsauce wrote: »
      thanks coylemj. I did ring them a while ago and they confirmed as much but i was surprised to hear the guy say he'd never seen windows running on a Mac. Anyway i went ahead and bought one in the hope that their support is based on the software rather than the hardware it is running on

I just updated my post above, their support site mentions a Mac conecting to the wireless LAN, they also support mobile devices so you will have no problem at all.

Not supporting something doesn't mean you can't do it, it just means that if you get into trouble you're on your own.

Why did you discuss running Windows on a Mac? I think you're a bit confused, just run the machine in the way it's intended (i.e. OSX) and you'll be fine.

http://www.ucd.ie/itservices/itsupport/wirelessandlaptopsinucd/howtogetontheucdwirelessnetwork/#d.en.38720

Thanks a mil. I just read another post about someone registering a Mac on UCD's system so it can be done.

Just out of curiosity has anyone done it using windows on a mac through either bootcamp or virtualisation software like parallels?

• Advertisement

[]

coylemj wrote: »

Why did you discuss running Windows on a Mac? I think you're a bit confused, just run the machine in the way it's intended (i.e. OSX) and you'll be fine.

Some of the software i'll need has not been written for OSX so rather than using college computers i think it would be a lot easier to have both operating systems on my mac

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 22,678 CMod ✭✭✭✭Sad Professor

Macs are everywhere in UCD and they work fine on the wireless network.

You'll have no problem running Windows software via Bootcamp. The fact that it will be running on Mac hardware is irreverent.

Macs are everywhere in UCD and they work fine on the wireless network.

You'll have no problem running Windows software via Bootcamp. The fact that it will be running on Mac hardware is irreverent.

Thanks! :)

Advertisement