Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Leaving Cert History?

• 18-04-2012 5:03pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭

Hi everyone. OK Here's my question. ATM I'm doing Chemistry but its really hard so I'm gonna change to history instead. Just want to know how hard is 5th and 6th year history and also what does it contain? Is it the same as the Junior Cert just with more details? Thanks.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

If you're in 5th year, tbh its way too late to change. The course is huge and theres a ridiculous time pressure in the exam. You also have to do a project for 20% of the overall grade which you need to be well into by now...I'd switch to something else or stick with chemistry tbh.

Its completely different to JC because theres nothing before 1870ish and theres 2 full Irish history books to do (your teacher will pick which two you do probably), one full European one and you have to do the case studies from The European Retreat from Empire and the Aftermath, which is pretty boring if I'm honest.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 531 ✭✭✭fontdor

Patchy~ wrote: »
    If you're in 5th year, tbh its way too late to change. The course is huge and theres a ridiculous time pressure in the exam. You also have to do a project for 20% of the overall grade which you need to be well into by now...I'd switch to something else or stick with chemistry tbh.

Its completely different to JC because theres nothing before 1870ish and theres 2 full Irish history books to do (your teacher will pick which two you do probably), one full European one and you have to do the case studies from The European Retreat from Empire and the Aftermath, which is pretty boring if I'm honest.

OMG No way man not changing at all. Thanks for your post

• Closed Accounts Posts: 243 ✭✭Stalin and rugby

Switch to Biology. It's a joke

• Closed Accounts Posts: 151 ✭✭galwaymusic

Don't change to history at this point if you're in 5th year. I agree with above, it's WAY too late. I have four history books. FOUR. This course requires a LOTTTTTTTT of learning.
    Maybe accounting if you're struggling with chemistry. I don't actually do the subject myself, but from what I've heard, Accounting is a dream.

I would really recommend Ag. Science. Again, I don't do it, but it's a ONE year course. Pupils in my school only started it at the beginning of 6th year. It looks great actually.

Switch to Biology. It's a joke

Already am doing biology.

• Advertisement

Don't change to history at this point if you're in 5th year. I agree with above, it's WAY too late. I have four history books. FOUR. This course requires a LOTTTTTTTT of learning.
    Maybe accounting if you're struggling with chemistry. I don't actually do the subject myself, but from what I've heard, Accounting is a dream.

I would really recommend Ag. Science. Again, I don't do it, but it's a ONE year course. Pupils in my school only started it at the beginning of 6th year. It looks great actually.

Thanks yes I have heard as well that Accounting is really good. I might give that a try. Thank you again

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,434 ✭✭✭Jolly Red Giant

fontdor wrote: »
    Hi everyone. OK Here's my question. ATM I'm doing Chemistry but its really hard so I'm gonna change to history instead. Just want to know how hard is 5th and 6th year history and also what does it contain? Is it the same as the Junior Cert just with more details? Thanks.
    I agree with others - I would advise switching to history at this point. If you want an overview of what is involved in history have a look here

http://www.leavingcerthistory.net

I would also advise switch to any other subject including accounting. There is no such thing as an easy subject at leaving cert level and much of the stuff you have missed in accounting will impact on your ability to pick up newer stuff.

If you are doing biology and you are intent on switching from chemistry I would look at Ag Science - there is a certain cross-over between ag science and biology - and it has a project that will get you some of the marks.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

Patchy~ wrote: »

That is one of the history courses available.
    There is another - EARLY MODERN, 1492 – 1815.
    See the two different exams:
    Early Modern(.pdf)
    Later Modern(.pdf)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 8,572 ✭✭✭Canard

^True, but usually only a few schools do it judging by the SEC reports' numbers, and I've never seen any books for that course either.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Education Moderators Posts: 27,236 CMod ✭✭✭✭spurious

The curse of textbooks. There are plenty of sources for teaching that era. It would be my choice to teach if I was taking an LC History class again.
    Anyway, I don't think the OP is interested.

• Advertisement

Thank you all for your advice's. I just read on a site that The Dep Of Education is going to remove Chemistry. If they do this is going to be awesome!

Thank you all for your advice's. I just read on a site that The Dep Of Education is going to remove Chemistry. If they do this is going to be awesome!
    I doubt that is true in the near future. What site did you read it on?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 850 ✭✭✭0mega

What? Why would they do that? Chemistry is an important subject :confused:

• Registered Users Posts: 1 M1K35X3

very manageable in my opinion :]
    20% in the back pocket before you start, then 60/400 marks of the written exam are effectively guaranteed in the comprehension of a written paragraph (check past papers, its no joke) so thats 32% before any real work is done :L
    Learn off nazi germany, which is pretty much guaranteed every year in some shape or form, and you add 20% (52% total now)
    add the northern ireland section of ireland 1912-1949 and you have another 20%. its been on the paper every year since 2006 (72%)
    after that you generally have another northern ireland specific section which is a bit messier to predict but even if you make a bit of waft through it you can stumble your way to an A or high B :]

I know that that idea appals some people, esspecially those that spend days cramming endless essays for every conceivable question but it is unquestionable that the LC is one of the most predictable state examinations in the world, and luckily for us, we dont have the cash to invest in changing that these days :]

so ya i reccomend history. or otherwise look at economics or ag science, especially if you do biology. in ag there is a project for 25% and the genetics question is guaranteed same as in biology and with very similar contents. plus you have plant and animal overlaps, nutrients and stuff... its great. and if you do geography, soil science is also guaranteed in the ag paper.

Advertisement