Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can we remove rolleyes?

Options

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 14,739 ✭✭✭✭minidazzler

It's only used incorrectly, it's actually a good smilie when used correctly. It's not supposed to be used to denote sarcasm. It's more of a "you're a complete fool" smilie. And should be backed up with a compelling arguement.

• Registered Users Posts: 44,080 ✭✭✭✭Micky Dolenz

When you see it, you just know the poster has been beat and it's like the final clutch of a drowning soul. Poor clutchers.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 35,943 Mod ✭✭✭✭dr.bollocko

I reckon our AH regulars would miss it to some extent.

It can be useful in identifying those whose posts are not worth reading.

It appears to be used mostly to indicate a post deserves derision but it is never used with any of the intelligence required to actually form a counter argument.

That's why I hate it. Quote the entire post and counter with roll eyes. You must be a genius. Well done you. thank you so much for that input.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,427 ✭✭✭Morag

That's why I hate it. Quote the entire post and counter with roll eyes. You must be a genius. Well done you. thank you so much for that input.

If you don't want that type of behavior on the forum and your co mods agree and the cat mods will back you then make it a ban-able offense.
    Ye did it with 'Yore Ma' :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

Sharrow wrote: »
    If you don't want that type of behavior on the forum and your co mods agree and the cat mods will back you then make it a ban-able offense.
    Ye did it with 'Yore Ma' :(

That would be a bit much imo, better to just get rid of it. Is 'yore Ma' a ban-able offence now?

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 423 ✭✭timesnap

MCMLXXV wrote: »
    I despise it and refuse to use it!

I use this instead: :mad:

It works but sometimes you have to word your posts differently! ;)

LOL 1975,some well spotted irony by you there,but i agree with the OP simply on the grounds that so many brilliant posters demean their own posts by using it.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

hondasam wrote: »
    Is 'yore Ma' a ban-able offence now?

Dunno. Is she?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 34,418 ✭✭✭✭hondasam

stovelid wrote: »
    Dunno. Is she?

I don't have a ma.

• Registered Users Posts: 8,584 ✭✭✭TouchingVirus

I get more annoyed about people not using it properly.

You hero, just what I was going to say :rolleyes:

:pac:

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,252 ✭✭✭✭stovelid

hondasam wrote: »

I don't have a ma.

I do.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Yore ma wasn't ever bannable, was it? We just used to quietly delete it whenever we saw it until people kind of forgot to use it. Which was goodful.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,140 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

You can remove Rolleyes over my cold dead keyboard.

And if you replace it with a Cyclops again there will be some god damn trouble.

• Registered Users Posts: 40,867 ✭✭✭✭Xavi6

It's an integral part of the site.

Feckin haterz :rolleyes:

• Registered Users Posts: 2,743 ✭✭✭funk-you

It appears to be used mostly to indicate a post deserves derision but it is never used with any of the intelligence required to actually form a counter argument.

Why can't I thank a post twice. Never was one more deserving.

-Funk

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

I love the littel guy - don't you dare remove him

:rolleyes:

or...... I could elaborate.....

Dr B, sometimes it simply isn't worth the time spent to type a response to someones drivel post when you know they will simply continue trolling you/being stupid. Roll eyes is simply short hand that says so much and avoids entire subdiscussions that clutter up threads and go nowhere as netiher party is willing to shift from their position from the outset

But you probably aren't listening....:pac:

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

No, we need rid of this condescending little bastard: :)

Although I don't expect many of you to understand what condescension is :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 88,978 ✭✭✭✭mike65

Its on the inside of my windows!

• Registered Users Posts: 18,159 ✭✭✭✭phasers

mike65 wrote: »
    :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 11,001 ✭✭✭✭opinion guy

mike65 wrote: »

but but...how can we save the little blue man from insided my 'pooter gizmotron ?? :(

• Closed Accounts Posts: 18,239 ✭✭✭✭WindSock

Yore ma wasn't ever bannable, was it? We just used to quietly delete it whenever we saw it until people kind of forgot to use it. Which was goodful.

Didn't you blast them with piss?

I agree it is a good asshole filter but I do remember the last thread on this there was a great point raised in that it was mildly amusing when a new user used it incorrectly ie:

Looking for a person to make 12 communion dresses for a party in Tullamore thnks!!!:rolleyes:

Also, cyclops was a great diffuser.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

When you see it, you just know the poster has been beat and it's like the final clutch of a drowning soul. Poor clutchers.
    Ah in fairness, I agree that happens - and as for someone quoting a reasonable point in full and then just using a rolleyes, I'd infract for that dumb sh1t (if I were a mod) but rolleyes conveys a point well when used non idiotically. As said, it's not the emoticon alone - it's the misuse of it. There are posts that are far, far worse than a rolleyes in response to them accompanied by a decent riposte.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 17,208 ✭✭✭✭aidan_walsh

I nominate this guy as his replacement troll.gif

• Closed Accounts Posts: 37,214 ✭✭✭✭Dudess

phasers wrote: »
    No, we need rid of this condescending little bastard: :)
    Again, it's only passive-aggressive when it's misused, like nearly all the smileys.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 27,944 ✭✭✭✭4zn76tysfajdxp

Dudess wrote: »
    Again, it's only passive-aggressive when it's misused, like nearly all the smileys.

Dudess is right. Dudess is always right.

• Registered Users Posts: 3,006 ✭✭✭thebullkf

Dudess is right. Dudess is always right.

:D

• Registered Users Posts: 21,257 ✭✭✭✭Eoin

Just adblock it as I've done, and everything is good with the world again.

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Entertainment Moderators, Sports Moderators Posts: 22,584 CMod ✭✭✭✭Steve

His name is Will :)

He was banned from boards years ago but I won him back in a raffle.

/aside: Zaph won a forum in the same raffle and he's now an admin.. bit of a fix there but, hey, no point in complaining :rolleyes:

So, tldr, he's legally mine and not going anywhere. :cool:

k.thx.bye.

• Registered Users Posts: 83,140 ✭✭✭✭Overheal

Steve wrote: »
    His name is Will :)
    And his best friend Rolleyam Walleyes.

• Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

When I saw this thread, my reaction was:

133239623337.gif

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 37,301 ✭✭✭✭the_syco

Yore ma wasn't ever bannable, was it?
    Write a script to change "your/yore/ur/yer ma" to "my ma" and you'll see people stop using it very shortly...

Advertisement