Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Please note that it is not permitted to have referral links posted in your signature. Keep these links contained in the appropriate forum. Thank you.

https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2055940817/signature-rules
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Scraping sound when reversing. Metal

• 18-04-2012 5:32pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭

Just gone to reverse out of my drive and heard metal scraping sound. Car went into gear fine. Nothing hanging down at all have total clearance. Sound only happens when reversing not when going forward at all?

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 83,858 ✭✭✭✭Atlantic Dawn
    M

Can you pinpoint roughly where the noise is coming from? Maybe get a friend to listen outside the car as you reverse.

What kind of car is it do you know if the car is front or rear wheel drive?

Does the sound only occur when you are releasing the clutch and the car begins to move or is it constant for all movement in reverse?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fiona

Sounded like coming from back. Initially thought it was exhaust scraping. Its rear wheel drive. Sound started once car moved didnt sound when clutch was in operation. I drove it forward and pumped the brakes and released handbrake as well couple of times. I have to reverse now in a minute ill see if its still there.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,560 ✭✭✭porsche boy

sounds like the brake pads, some makers put a metal warning clip on the pads so they screech when they are nearing the end of their life. What car is it???

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,357 ✭✭✭Fiona

The e30. I have reversed twice now this evening and no noise at all. Braking is fine as well. I wonder would it have been something stuck somewhere as was driving in very heavy rain this morning then she was parked up for the day?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,236 ✭✭✭darragh o meara

The brake pads on the rear sometimes stick if the car is parked up for a while. This is prob what you heard. If in doubt get it looked at.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 8,223 ✭✭✭Nissan doctor

Possibly just some surface corrosion on the brake disk from the heavy rain I'd say.

Advertisement