Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Can't open PVC window

• 18-04-2012 6:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭

Hey folks.

The window is a top opening type with a push button handle.
    The handle turned yesterday, but didn't seem to engage the mechanism inside.

I removed the handle today (just 2 screws) and saw it was like a standard door lock, the handle turns a bar, which turns some kind of latch in the PVC frame.

Now for the good part ;)

I used every similar sized allen key, hex head and even a similar sized flat blade screwdriver to turn it, but ended up mashing the inside completely :o

Can anyone give any advice on this please, if I could open the window I could probably get at and replace the damaged part.

Thanks all.

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 3,664 ✭✭✭policarp

Try squirting some WD40 into the mechanism and
    with the long nozzle pushed through the rubber seal
    squirt some where the bolts engage with the receivers. . .

• Registered Users Posts: 2,102 ✭✭✭Neil_Sedaka

Will give that a go thanks.

Don't think there's anything left to grip onto there anymore, in the hole where the handle bar was.

It's a right mess in there now, completely rounded, with some shards of metal filings :)

If I need to remove the entire locking mechanism (the strip with the bolts and receivers) can replacements be bought anywhere?

Just can't get the window to budge at all, from inside or out :(

Thanks guys.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 2,300 ✭✭✭martinn123

If I need to remove the entire locking mechanism (the strip with the bolts and receivers) can replacements be bought anywhere?

Just can't get the window to budge at all, from inside or out :(

Thanks guys.

Mila, they are in Kilbarrick, or Universal, in Ballymount, both supply locks etc to the window industry, if you get it out they have a sales desk, no problem
    have you tried taking out the glass unit, that may let you at the mechanism,
    or at least at the screws holding it in place
    Or, take off the hinges, and it may come loose

Thanks martinn 123, will see if the glass could come out easily.

Because I can't get the window open, I have no access to hinges or screws.

Is there a credit card swipe trick for these? :D

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 137 ✭✭kitser

neil. these are not easy to get out, especially now that you've completely butchered the spindle catch. i can get it open and supply new espag. pm me if interested

Advertisement