Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Restart from scratch

Options
  • 18-04-2012 6:17pm
    Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭

Hi all,
    I have a garden about 40m2 and its about 60% weeds and lilly pads, and the rest is grass. I was thinking of literally killing everything in the garden (theres no trees). Is there anything thats fairly cheap that will kill absolutely everything, and allow me to replant at some stage. I was thinking of killing everything and putting top soil over the whole garden, and letting that sit for a while before putting down garden seeds. I really just want to start from scratch in the garden. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 7,410 ✭✭✭bbam

antodeco wrote: »
    Hi all,
    I have a garden about 40m2 and its about 60% weeds and lilly pads, and the rest is grass. I was thinking of literally killing everything in the garden (theres no trees). Is there anything thats fairly cheap that will kill absolutely everything, and allow me to replant at some stage. I was thinking of killing everything and putting top soil over the whole garden, and letting that sit for a while before putting down garden seeds. I really just want to start from scratch in the garden. Any advice would be appreciated.

Thanks

If you really want to kill it all on the cheap then get a product called gallup, it's a twin of roundup but much cheaper... If you can't get gallup price regular roundup compared to roundup bi-active which is much dearer..

However.. if it's all lawn with weeds would you not be better go for a weed and feed type product... Keep it mowed and then garden in beds etc as you want..

I'd only go killing everything and importing soil if your soil is totally useless..

• Registered Users, Subscribers Posts: 13,501 ✭✭✭✭antodeco

Thanks for the reply. See it was dug and very uneven over about 50% of it. I want to kill everything so I can try level it. How long do you need to wait before being able to replant?

It depends on the weather...
    If there is no growth like right now then the kill will be slow enough, 3-4 weeks. These products work quicker when the plants are active..

Roundup biactive is quicker but more expensive...

You can replant the ground immediately as they are neutralised on contact with the soil... Even the dying vegetation is safe..

Brilliant stuff. I'm assuming it's highly toxic to animals? I'll cordon off the garden a section at a time. Any ideas where I can pick the stuff up?

Not toxic once it dries in.
    A day I think but check the instructions.
    Any agri co op will have a selection at decent prices. Larger containers are much cheaper, compare the prices of 500ml, litre and so on.

• Advertisement

Thanks again. Time to find one in Dublin! Most are trade only :(

• Registered Users Posts: 2,079 ✭✭✭Mr.Applepie

antodeco wrote: »
    Thanks again. Time to find one in Dublin! Most are trade only :(

Last year, I got 5 litres (undiluted) for about €60. Pretty much in every garden centre & hardware store in Meath.

I think my dad had the same problem finding it in Dublin btw

Last year, I got 5 litres (undiluted) for about €60. Pretty much in every garden centre & hardware store in Meath.

I think my dad had the same problem finding it in Dublin btw

20 litre drum was €78 3 weeks ago when I bought for the farm. Larger drums are just so much cheaper it's insane.

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

NAD will sell it to you.

I was meant to update this! I went to b&q and had a look at all their 'chemical' products. Their own brand b&q weed killer is slightly stronger than Gallup 360. I tried it and it worked a treat. A lot less than roundup and works just the same, if not better. Garden is now dead.

• Advertisement
Advertisement