Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Would a botttle deposit system work in Ireland?

Options
  • 18-04-2012 6:25pm
    Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭

In Germany and Netherlands, they have a 10c deposit in most beer bottles and small drink bottles, and a 25c deposit on the 2L bottles etc. This encourages recycling to get your money back, because a lot of people in Ireland are not arsed recycling and just chuck everything into the grey bin and don't recycle.

I heard (and I could be wrong) that the deposit system was introduced to allow the smaller breweries in Germany (family run ones) to get their bottles back and keep costs down, so they would not be bullied by the likes of Becks etc.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

There used to be a deposit system in Ireland, but it disappeared. I'm not sure why, but I guess there were reasons.

I remember buying soft drinks in glass bottles and being able to drop the bottle back to the shop for a deposit

• Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭bananarama22

djk1000 wrote: »
    There used to be a deposit system in Ireland, but it disappeared. I'm not sure why, but I guess there were reasons.

I remember buying soft drinks in glass bottles and being able to drop the bottle back to the shop for a deposit

Any idea or ballpark when the idea was dropped? I'm old enough to remember the glass milk bottles but I was only a nipper then. Does the UK still have the milkman with the glass bottles?

• Moderators, Recreation & Hobbies Moderators, Science, Health & Environment Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 91,219 Mod ✭✭✭✭Capt'n Midnight

IIRC in Sweden they have vending machines to take in the bottles and give you your money.

but there would have to be a use for them , Irish glass is gone so would have to import all of the glass also unless you are getting a high number of reuses it doesn't make economic or environmental sense when you take into account the other inputs, like time and people driving to bottle banks

• Closed Accounts Posts: 899 ✭✭✭djk1000

Any idea or ballpark when the idea was dropped? I'm old enough to remember the glass milk bottles but I was only a nipper then. Does the UK still have the milkman with the glass bottles?

Mid 80's if I remember correctly. My dad worked for a dairy during the time that milk bottles where being phased out, that was because tetrapak cartons where ridiculously cheaper. Milk bottles where expensive to make and didn't last long, mainly because of bottle grinding against each other on the production line, there was also the issue of reusing glass which effected the shelf life of milk due to bacteria surviving the cleaning process.

Advertisement