Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi all! We have been experiencing an issue on site where threads have been missing the latest postings. The platform host Vanilla are working on this issue. A workaround that has been used by some is to navigate back from 1 to 10+ pages to re-sync the thread and this will then show the latest posts. Thanks, Mike.
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Grim Dawn

• 18-04-2012 6:27pm
    Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭

Not another Kickstarter/Action RPG game you say :pac:

Yes, it is. But it actually looks really good, and is quite far along in development. Being made by some of the Titan's Quest team, who made an excellent game, and it looks great. Loads of features too (factions, some destructible scenery etc...) which are talked about on the video in the Kickstarter page.

Will follow it for a little while, but it looks much more fast paced then other games.

http://www.grimdawn.com/
    http://www.kickstarter.com/projects/crateentertainment/grim-dawn

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 10,752 ✭✭✭✭degrassinoel

this looks pretty decent, but i fear it's going to get overlooked in favour of D3 and TL2.
    Might still have a gander, as they plan to have it released through steam.
    We plan to release Grim Dawn on Steam and through other digital distribution sites for about $20. In addition to this, you can also buy the game now from our website and download it directly from us when it releases. By purchasing directly from us now, your money will help fund our development and make Grim Dawn a better game. We may also release a box-copy to be sold in stores at some point but we have not yet worked out all the details.

Sounds around the same price as TL2 :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,715 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Hate to drag up such an old thread but this game is amazing.
    The final pre-release build was released today with final release around the corner [this Thursday 25th I believe] not sure if the price will change on release day but if anyone is remotely interested you can grab it now for €24.99.

http://store.steampowered.com/app/219990/

I bought early access a while back and haven't played anything else since.
    Even xcom 2 hasn't been touched yet.

My opinion ofcourse but having played D3,path of exile,torchlight1 and 2 extensively this is easily the best of the bunch.
    Superb combat and an insanely deep skill tree not to mention the devotion system which in itself is as deep as the much famed poe skill tree but its done so much better in Grim Dawn.
    Ive put in over 200 hours now and have yet to get bored of it.

Can a mod please move this to the PC Gaming board.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 20,944 ✭✭✭✭Links234

This is one I've been waiting for until it came out of early access, will probably snap it up at some point. ;)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 23,216 Mod ✭✭✭✭Kiith

I started the thread about 4 years ago, so you'd think i'd have bought it by now :P

Will give it a go once payday comes along though.

Shame on you :)

Can you move this to PC gaming board when you get a chance please Kiith.

• Advertisement

Your primal strike shaman/warden could morph into a caster stormcaller if you so wished,thats what I done with one of my characters, shes now on ultimate @ lvl79 and its brutal tough.
    I don't know how anyone can get hardcore characters to max lvl 85 but plenty do especially to good streamers.
    The devotion tree and how it works is very well done, really adds another massive payer of customisation,it really is a theory crafters wet dream.

I have about 8 characters on the go and thoroughly enjoying each of them.

You need to work on your resists for elite,veteran is a cake walk, elite and then ultimate are a big step up in difficulty :)
    The top line in your resists page is your main concern up until elite thereafter the bottom line is of huge importance,ultimate you will need 50%-80% resists while also keeping your dps respectable although I killed final boss on elite with only 50% chaos resist and 40% vitality resist.
    Your faction reputation really helps with augments that have resists.

Quick tip for new players, always play on veteran when your starting out, not much difference between normal and veteran difficulty wise but there is in xp.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 55,537 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

I'll grab this after pay day. Looks like my kind of game.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Been keeping an eye on this and watching some lets play videos and think I am going to take the plunge. Is it going to go up in price tomorrow so would I be better off picking it up tonight?

tony1980 wrote: »
    Been keeping an eye on this and watching some lets play videos and think I am going to take the plunge. Is it going to go up in price tomorrow so would I be better off picking it up tonight?

I'm not sure but past early access games ive bought did go up a bit on release.

From PC Gamer

"Grim Dawn is, for now, still available as an Early Access release on Steam for the undiscounted price of $25/ 20. Find out more at grimdawn.com."

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 1,611 ✭✭✭tony1980

Dcully wrote: »
    I'm not sure but past early access games ive bought did go up a bit on release.

From PC Gamer

"Grim Dawn is, for now, still available as an Early Access release on Steam for the undiscounted price of $25/ 20. Find out more at grimdawn.com."

Cheers, think I will just pick it up so as I have seen enough to justify the purchase. Looking forward to getting stuck in now :-)

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 4,918 ✭✭✭nix

Been a few years since a post here, sorry. Anybody played much of this to recommend it?

I'm looking for a new ARPG, trying POE at the moment but not warming up to it. I dont like that your abilities are equipped via socket gems and the skill tree is just a pool of passive stat increases :(

Been thinking about trying grim dawn, i can get the base game for cheap and then likely pick up the Ashes of malmouth expansion on the cheap in an upcoming steam sale..

Worth a go? or shall i stick with POE? :):confused::pac:

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 7,416 ✭✭✭Dave_The_Sheep

I much preferred Grim Dawn.

There's plenty of space for class choice, with 2 mastery choices per character and a fairly solid matrix oas a result, see here. Grim Dawn website has it too, but seems to be down right now. There's lots of class variance too, they genuinely feel different. Each mastery has it's own skill tree, with some being abilities you get to use, some changing / adding to those abilites and how they work, and some are stat buffs. It also has a Devotion skill 'constellation' tree, which can give (again) stat buffs and aiblities, depending on how you spec it.

It also runs a lot smoother than PoE (though I only have maybe 10 hours in PoE) as it's newer, and looks better (to me). It's also, unsuprisingly, grim as ****, which I like.

• Registered Users Posts: 131 ✭✭The Haven

I've grinded POE and Grim Dawn alot more than D3.

I prefer POE and GD for arpg's.
    These two are slightly different, that's what makes it good to play them both.

HC 100% ftw :D

GD is awesome, 1000`s of hours worth gameplay waiting for you if you so desire.

Another great one is Shadow's : Awakening.

Haven't seen that channel before. Watched a few videos, quite like him and his analysis, tbh. That's another sub.

RopeDrink wrote: »
    Will happily echo 99% of that video - a teeny bit too much praise (it has its flaws) but a solid assessment. Even despite the new PoE expansion I find myself zoning out pretty quickly. Might be time to do another Grim Dawn playthrough and prep a new character for the upcoming expansion - already bought the previous two and haven't even touched them.

Likewise, i booted up POE betrayal over the weekend intending to sink some time into the new content but after an hour i had enough and started a new character in Grim Dawn instead :D

Insurgency Sandstorm beta then took all my time but im definitely gonna return to GD with my new Deathknight character :)

http://www.grimdawn.com/forums/showthread.php?t=74487

Why refuse to play pvp in sandstorm? Thats where the meat of the game is.
    co-op V bots is just for learning the basics really.
    I find the community very good tbh honest and rarely see salty players if thats your concern.
    PVP is casual friendly to be fair , its the competitive that is not :)

Im going OT here, but GD is awesome too :)

• Advertisement

New expansion out now. Forgotten Gods.

Details here.

Devs will get more of a cut if you buy direct from them rather than steam, and you get a steam key either way. 15.99 euro in any case.

I've only scratched the surface, but so far so good as far as I can tell.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 710 ✭✭✭BattlingCheese

Yup, a brilliant expansion with some much needed QoL updates.

Nearly got my first character to 100, I am at 96 after 330hrs! The game is so addictive and I find myself playing it so much more then Division 2.

• Registered Users Posts: 1,137 ✭✭✭TheRepentent

It really is a great game and does enough of it's own thing to stand apart from D3.

Sig edited so not to "offend" genocide apologists

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=oYOZ3IzRaf4

https://www.btselem.org/

Bought the new expansion last week but all my cloud saves are gone :(

I plan on getting back into it asap, need to plough through it to unlock saviors merit to help with alts fast leveling.
    The thought of playing through allover again to access late game content and expansions is killing me as ive done it so many times.

• Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭h0neybadger

Coming from D3 with 10k hours, I picked up Grim Dawn few weeks back.
    Really enjoyed it, but then got PoE, and I can't look at GD anymore...

I actually cycle between the 3 games. You can lose hours in any of them:D

For me Grim Dawn has the best build diversity and scope for theorycrafting builds.
    I really enjoy all three to be fair, playing some Wolcen beta lately too and its coming along very nicely, comabt is excellent in it and visuals are the best of the bunch.

10 hours of GD you barely even scratched the surface of the surface to be fair.

That Wolcen looks good.

Bought the new expansion last week but all my cloud saves are gone :(

I plan on getting back into it asap, need to plough through it to unlock saviors merit to help with alts fast leveling.
    The thought of playing through allover again to access late game content and expansions is killing me as ive done it so many times.

With the new expansion you can get a merit that allows you to jump straight to Ultimate.

You do need an existing character in Elite/Ultimate first. Once that character has beaten Krieg in Act 1, they can go to the FG area and buy a "merit". The merit can be transferred to another character via the shared stash. Using the merit will unlock Elite/Ultimate for that character.

You get all the attribute points and quest points from the difficulties you skipped. They also turned on all the devotion shrines, so you can get all your devotion points in just Ultimate, no need to go back to earlier difficulties for them.

Now starting with a lvl 1 character in Ultimate is a tad bit of a challenge :)

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 321 ✭✭h0neybadger

For me Grim Dawn has the best build diversity and scope for theorycrafting builds.
    I really enjoy all three to be fair, playing some Wolcen beta lately too and its coming along very nicely, comabt is excellent in it and visuals are the best of the bunch.

10 hours of GD you barely even scratched the surface of the surface to be fair.

10k hours in d3
    4 weeks in GD. (about 170 hours total)

With the new expansion you can get a merit that allows you to jump straight to Ultimate.

You do need an existing character in Elite/Ultimate first. Once that character has beaten Krieg in Act 1, they can go to the FG area and buy a "merit". The merit can be transferred to another character via the shared stash. Using the merit will unlock Elite/Ultimate for that character.

You get all the attribute points and quest points from the difficulties you skipped. They also turned on all the devotion shrines, so you can get all your devotion points in just Ultimate, no need to go back to earlier difficulties for them.

Now starting with a lvl 1 character in Ultimate is a tad bit of a challenge :)

Yeah got sorted lastnight thanks.
    I installed grim internals and GD item assistant too and they are glorious quality of life additions , essential now once ive used them.

Yeah got sorted lastnight thanks.
    I installed grim internals and GD item assistant too and they are glorious quality of life additions , essential now once ive used them.

Rainbow text filter is also great

I played too much of this over the weekend,i stopped playing just before ashes of malmouth release so i have it and forgotten gods to get stuck into.
    I remember now why i enjoyed this more than diablo or path of exile,, brilliant game.
    You can theorycraft for an eternity it seems.
    I robbed a few builds ofcourse from the forums but starting theorying a few of my own and really enjoying it.

Finding it hard to settle on a build but finding the retaliation warlord to be great fun, seen yer man ZiggyD runs a dual shield build lol, looks interesting to say the least.

What sort of builds are you guys running?

Before i stopped playing i was loving an acid bomb build [dont remember name of ability] but throwing acid allover the place was great fun, might try that build again.

I hear a lot about the deathknight too , anyone try it out?

Currently playing a lvl 99 execution pierce DW blademaster. So close !
    He has changed over the past 10 levels from acid, cold, cadence to his current form depending on drops. A great thing about this game is the ease you can respec and try something new.

I do miss the Diablo3 method of the majority of late game gear dropping for your class only as it does make farming that much harder in GD. However I do plan on looking at my drops and picking a spellcaster or pet build depending on what good drops I have stashed away.

Have not tried the DK but it's very popular as it's relatively easy to farm for using Krieg's item drops and it's quite powerful.

Couple of vids for anyone considering a return or picking it up in 2019.

• Advertisement

Currently playing a lvl 99 execution pierce DW blademaster. So close !
    He has changed over the past 10 levels from acid, cold, cadence to his current form depending on drops. A great thing about this game is the ease you can respec and try something new.

I do miss the Diablo3 method of the majority of late game gear dropping for your class only as it does make farming that much harder in GD. However I do plan on looking at my drops and picking a spellcaster or pet build depending on what good drops I have stashed away.

Have not tried the DK but it's very popular as it's relatively easy to farm for using Krieg's item drops and it's quite powerful.

Any chance of linking your build with grimtools?

Dual wielding acid rogue like character is something ive thought about in GD, your blademaster sounds pretty close.

Will do tonight when I am home.
    He is specc'd for pierce currently though.

My current build
    https://www.grimtools.com/calc/d2jYoW4N

so need some better weapons and relic

Have a level 86 lightning based Trickster (Nightblade and Shaman), based on this build: https://www.grimtools.com/calc/DV95MYnV

Just killed the Warden on Ultimate, so far I'm finding Ultimate quite doable, but I'm sure that will change. I don't have any of the recommended gear above, my resists are in the toilet (particularly fire and poison) and I can get burst down relatively easily (particularly with fire/poison, oddly enough!).

The bonus of just killing the warden is that I can now access the special merits that allow any other characters to access ultimate without having to play through normal/elite. Though I will have to go through them and collect all the one-shot chests, devotion shrines, etc. It makes levelling up harder as some enemies take a lot of grind, but much faster. Got to level 30 or so within an hour or less, if I recall, with one alt last night.

Next plan is to finish Ultimate on my Trickster (if I can) so I can unlock the legendary level 1 gear, and really start levelling some alts. I find the first 40 levels very tedious these days, and can't really be arsed.

Though I will have to go through them and collect all the one-shot chests, devotion shrines, etc.

The FG merit unlocks all skills and attribute points from the previous 2 difficulties. It also unlocks inventory bags and riftgates so not too much of a pain grabbing devotion shrines.

• Advertisement

The FG merit unlocks all skills and attribute points from the previous 2 difficulties. It also unlocks inventory bags and riftgates so not too much of a pain grabbing devotion shrines.

It does indeed. That's 4 attribute points from normal and elite, but you obviously still have to level up to get the rest (both skill and attribute points from levelling) and put them into your masteries (and then skills).

And since you can do the first few missions in Ultimate without too much hassle, which gets you to about ~15, then one or two more gets you to about 20, you can gear yourself even with saved up blues if (like me) you don't have the level 1 Legendary armor set.

All in all, I like it a lot.

Having a blast with my Retaliation Warlord Dual Wielding Shields :P

https://www.grimtools.com/calc/a2drmw8Z

I find the first 40 levels very tedious these days, and can't really be arsed.

Yeah i hear ya, its not like diablo where you can be boosted in minutes to then start your endgame shenanigans, in GD its a real grind to get to 40 doing it the legit way.
    Ive leveled up countless guys to the 30-40 range to try out builds and kept going back to try something else.
    Ive settled on the warlord for now but in future im going to use the blank lvl 50 someone posted on the forums for exactly this purpose.

Ive leveled up countless guys to the 30-40 range to try out builds and kept going back to try something else.
    Ive settled on the warlord for now but in future im going to use the blank lvl 50 someone posted on the forums for exactly this purpose.

Same as regards the guys to 30-40.

I tried using a blank level 50 before, but found I couldn't change the name even by renaming the save folder, which put me off a bit. Is there a way around that, do you know?

I tried renaming too but no joy.
    However if you follow this guide you will level up insanely fast.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HRdXO_nE-j0rZLjFribvrWkCznoU2hzHBUZNOQ-6qXk/edit

Jut got an invite to torchlight frontiers there, looking forward to trying it.
    Anyone playing pagan online? hearing nothing but good about it, watched a bit of live stream lastnight and it looks very good.
    So many new ARPGs coming.

haha that dual shield build sounds strange. What happens when you meet a retaliation based mob ? The grimtools link is not working btw.

I must look into Pagan online, thanks for the tip. Waiting on Borderlands 3 myself.

Good question lol, i really like the procs happening with the build, fixed that grimtools link.

The build explained, im not playing HC so ive tweaked it a bit.

I tried renaming too but no joy.
    However if you follow this guide you will level up insanely fast.

https://docs.google.com/document/d/1HRdXO_nE-j0rZLjFribvrWkCznoU2hzHBUZNOQ-6qXk/edit

That link is lovely. Going to try it later on tonight.

Advertisement