Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Medical card appeal approved - waiting on card

Options
  • 18-04-2012 7:30pm
    Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭

Hi,

I appealed a decision some time ago to refuse me a medical card. At the end of March I got a letter saying my appeal had being approved and the Client Registration Unit have been informed to send me a medical card. I am still waiting on the card to arrive.

What I am wondering if I go to the doctor in the meantime can I claim back the expense? I know a letter saying you have been approved with a medical card number is acceptable but since this letter came from appeals I don't have a number so not sure the GP would accept it or it would be sufficient in a chemist.

I would like to see the doctor soon and I am waiting hard on this card. I will be happy to pay whatever bills if I could claim it back somehow.

Any feedback or advice would be great :).

Cheers
    Tagged:

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 9,624 ✭✭✭wmpdd3

I think if you use the contact us thing on the website:

https://www.sspcrs.ie/portal/medapp/contact.jsp

someone will call you back with your medical card number and you can use that for the doctor and the pharmacy. We called and got the numbers but we haven't had to use them yet.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭henke

wmpdd3 wrote: »
    I think if you use the contact us thing on the website:

https://www.sspcrs.ie/portal/medapp/contact.jsp

someone will call you back with your medical card number and you can use that for the doctor and the pharmacy. We called and got the numbers but we haven't had to use them yet.
    Will give this a try. Cheers.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,354 ✭✭✭henke

Well they didn't ring back and my medical card didn't come in the post today either :rolleyes:

It took them 3days to call us back. Funny thing was the call back came from the local office, not the centralised place. Also my card is up march 2013 even though i only got it last monday.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Pharaoh1

A friend had his Medical Card application refused but the statement he got clearly showed that they had counted a portion if his income twice (they put in down in the "Other Income" section as well)

He rang them and explained and they accepted that he would qualify but they asked him to write a letter detailing everything but after three weeks still no response.
    As he had applied last October they also said on the phone that he might have to reapply from scratch saying that his circumstances may have changed etc..
    Surely the delay is the fault of the HSE and he should not have to reapply and wait for maybe a year or more for his card because of delays on the HSE side.

I'm not a conspiracy theorist but I'm beginning to think that there must be some sort of policy to delay the applications for as long as possible and hope that people will just go away and turn down those that are eligible in the belief that at least some will not go down the appeals route.

It seems every possible obstacle is being used.
    If they are concerned that there are too many people eligible for medical cards then they could at least be straight about it and simply reduce the thresholds.

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 1,392 ✭✭✭upinthesky

i got a text message about my application and it said it would be 30 days, not too bad. Why are others waiting so long?

We applied last Sept. Got approved in March. We were not asked for any further information but all my wage slips were lost. Thankfully I had them scanned in so I printed them off and resent them.

I say do not re-apply, keep at them, its their mistake. Put enquiries through the website, as this now seems to be the only channel of communication. select a phone number as the only method you want to be contacted from. When the person calls you back, then put forward your case and dont take no for an answer.

Also e-mail the minister. Search this forum for similar issues people have had and you will find more ways they succeeded.

• Registered Users Posts: 354 ✭✭Pharaoh1

lisar816 wrote: »
    i got a text message about my application and it said it would be 30 days, not too bad. Why are others waiting so long?

I think everyone gets this standard text message - it may well be that it will be dealt with in 30 days but don't be surprised if it takes six months.
    More likely there will be a request for some sort of further information to slow the whole thing down.

Advertisement