Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie
Hi there,
There is an issue with role permissions that is being worked on at the moment.
If you are having trouble with access or permissions on regional forums please post here to get access: https://www.boards.ie/discussion/2058365403/you-do-not-have-permission-for-that#latest

Spare UPC Box

• 18-04-2012 7:46pm
    Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 876 ✭✭✭

Hey, I know its a long shot but i was wondering if anyone would have a spare box, I am currently living in Dublin on a 3 month period and the minimum contract for UPC is 1 year so its not feasible.
    I have a connection point in the room so any freeview box would do! Im in the donnybrook area! something cheap or possibly free, will travel too!! cheers guys

Comments

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

UPC box aint no good to you without a subscription and a viewing card to put in it.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

can i not get freeview stations?

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 876 ✭✭✭TheBully

i can get comedy central and 2 other stations perfect without the box, by jus running a cable from one point to another, just with no sound!

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 13,237 ✭✭✭✭djimi

No, free to air stations only come through a satellite system such as Sky. A UPC box with no viewing card will not have any stations come through.

You could try run a cable from the wall directly into the RF connection on your TV and see what you can tune in. If the analogue stations are still active on your connection then you might be able to pick them up that way.

• Registered Users, Registered Users 2 Posts: 6,925 ✭✭✭zg3409

You would need to first confirm if your bedroom TV point is live. If it's disconnected outside on the gutter then no matter the box you will get nothing.

If you are in Donnybrook and if the outlet is labelled UPC then you might get 17 analogue channels buy just connecting to any TV and doing an auto-setup.

You would need to confirm these channels before even considering any decoding box.

An alternative is rabbits ears or an indoor TV aerial, but signal may not be that good in Donnybrook. If you have internet access there is also RTE player etc. Some internet access options are top up so no need for a long contract.

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 15,858 ✭✭✭✭paddy147

TheBully wrote: »
    Hey, I know its a long shot but i was wondering if anyone would have a spare box, I am currently living in Dublin on a 3 month period and the minimum contract for UPC is 1 year so its not feasible.
    I have a connection point in the room so any freeview box would do! Im in the donnybrook area! something cheap or possibly free, will travel too!! cheers guys

One of these indoor areals for 10 euro and you get Saorview,loads of radio stations,TV3 and 3E for Free,if you have a suitable TV.

Simples.:)

Advertisement