Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

passport for baby born in dublin`

Options
  • 18-04-2012 8:03pm
    Registered Users Posts: 18

Hi all,

I'm italian citizen and have been living in Ireland for 10 months.
    Last month my daughter was born here in Dublin and from what I could understand although she's got an irish birth certificate she can't have an irish passport. That's fine because I can get an Italian one for her.

My question is - when would she be eligible to have an irish passport? They say that if one EU parent has been living in the island of Ireland for at least 3 from 4 years before the birth the baby can have... but otherwise would it still be possible once the EU parent completes 3 years in Ireland or she would need to wait to have 18 years old and apply for the citizenship?

Thanks in advance for the attention!

Comments

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

http://irishbarrister.com/citizenship.html
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/irish_citizenship/irish_citizenship_through_birth_or_descent.html

"Under the provisions of the Irish Nationality and Citizenship Act 2004, children born of certain foreign national parents on or after 1 January 2005 are not automatically entitled to Irish citizenship. A child born in the island of Ireland on or after 1 January 2005 is entitled to Irish citizenship if they have a British parent or a parent who is entitled to live in Northern Ireland or the Irish State without restriction on their residency. Other foreign national parents of children born in the island of Ireland on or after 1 January 2005 must prove that they have a genuine link to Ireland. This will be evidenced by their having 3 out of the previous 4 years reckonable residence in the island of Ireland immediately before the birth of the child. On proof of a genuine link to Ireland their child will be entitled to Irish citizenship and can apply for a certificate of nationality - see 'How to apply' below."

Is your partner an irish or english citizen?

• Registered Users Posts: 18 javarlz

Thanks Moonbean for your reply.

About your question - no, also italian.

I read that you pasted here on the links you provided but nowhere I could find what's the option after that.

Can the baby have the irish passport once I complete 3 years of residence in Ireland? What would be the procedure in case we want the irish passport for her?

Or the option would be to wait her to complete 18 years old and so she can apply for naturalisation?

I understand that the citizenship is not automatic in this case as I don't have 3 years of ireland before her birth, but will it be once I complete these 3 years?

Thanks again!

• Moderators, Education Moderators, Society & Culture Moderators Posts: 18,953 Mod ✭✭✭✭Moonbeam

You will have to ring them but from what I understand being here for 3 years will not entitle them to citizenship.

Yeah I will contact them later...

but that's what they say, if a EU parent has been here for 3 years right before the birth and the child was born in Ireland s/he is irish citizen.

This case just it would be a bit different, because I will complete 3 years 2 years after the birth (which was also in Ireland).

but anyway... i will contact them later.
    It doesn't really matter to us... I was more curious about that.

Cheers

• Closed Accounts Posts: 5,175 ✭✭✭hoodwinked

would this part:
    or a parent who is entitled to live in Northern Ireland or the Irish State without restriction on their residency.

not apply to you in this case?

• Advertisement
  • Banned (with Prison Access) Posts: 67 ✭✭bananarama22

Moonbeam wrote: »
    http://irishbarrister.com/citizenship.html
    http://www.citizensinformation.ie/en/moving_country/irish_citizenship/irish_citizenship_through_birth_or_descent.html
    A child born in the island of Ireland on or after 1 January 2005 is entitled to Irish citizenship if they have a British parent or a parent who is entitled to live in Northern Ireland or the Irish State without restriction on their residency.

Does this not apply to an Italian citizen as an EU national? Is he/she not entitled to reside in Ireland without hindrance and hence fall into that category?

Does this not apply to an Italian citizen as an EU national? Is he/she not entitled to reside in Ireland without hindrance and hence fall into that category?

yes as Italian I don't have any restriction to live/work/etc in Ireland.

But I didn't find this info in the official passport website... they say if a parent is EU s/he has to have lived in the island of Ireland 3 from the last 4 years before the birth.
    Even one document that I would have to provide is a declaration stating that I have lived here for these 3 years.

Strange... hehe

• Registered Users Posts: 156 ✭✭RoseBlossom

It's the Department of Justice (INIS) that deals with naturalisation rather than Foreign Affairs. Would Form 11 on this page be the one you need? http://www.inis.gov.ie/en/INIS/Pages/Citizenship%20Application%20Forms

The child doesn't need to wait until she is 18, but from my understanding, she needs to spend the same length of time living here as an adult would in order to be naturalised (I.e. 5 years).

As an EU citizen though, she basically has equal rights to an Irish citizen as far as I'm aware so, apart from being handier to renew her passport, being an Irish citizen won't make that much difference to her (though maybe I'm forgetting something obvious).

oh cool, thanks for the info!

In fact there's no different between being Italian or Irish (apart from the voting stuff and how handier it will be to renew her passport as you said).

Thanks again!

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 1 elko

javarlz wrote: »
    Hi all,

I'm italian citizen and have been living in Ireland for 10 months.
    Last month my daughter was born here in Dublin and from what I could understand although she's got an irish birth certificate she can't have an irish passport. That's fine because I can get an Italian one for her.

My question is - when would she be eligible to have an irish passport? They say that if one EU parent has been living in the island of Ireland for at least 3 from 4 years before the birth the baby can have... but otherwise would it still be possible once the EU parent completes 3 years in Ireland or she would need to wait to have 18 years old and apply for the citizenship?

Thanks in advance for the attention!

Hi javarlz,

Your child can become Irish after 5 years of proven residency in the country. You do not need to take Irish citizenship yourself nor to wait for your child to be adult. There is a new form (form 11) that you must fill up when your child reaches 5. It's an electronic form i.e. you must fill it up online. Anyway the procedure is well explained on www.justice.ie. Click on "form 11 guidance note" and you will get everything you need to know. This form is for the children born here who are in your kid's situation. The minister has introduced this scheme to dissociate the fate of the child from the parent' status.
    I hope this helps.

Advertisement