Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

A Hugh problem with broadband simply not up to task

Options
  • 18-04-2012 8:38pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭

Hi il explain my situation I was moving into my new house from my old which I had 100meg UPC broadband(bit over the top for my needs) so moved into my Newhouse and it turns out that I can't get UPC so I arrange eircom in the house they tell me I can get 8meg ngb I say that will do as its just for browsing and downloading.

So Afew days later the router arrives and I set up my network no problem at all so I want to have a nice setup I change the eircom router with a nice high spec tp link router.

So to cut a long storey short when my computer is connected to the router via cable I'm getting 2meg speeds it's crap seriously.

So I ring eircom they go through all the checks with me stupied checks like. I work in computing also so I no what I'm doing they make me change back to there router and it's still the same I'm not getting over 2.5 meg wired or 1.3 meg wirelessly.now seriously in this day and age that isn't on the price of my bill and this is what I'm getting. I'm sorry eircom the problem is on your side so someone please sort it it's Notting to do with my set up at all

Hoping for help

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 641 ✭✭✭kilianmanning

Hi il explain my situation I was moving into my new house from my old which I had 100meg UPC broadband(bit over the top for my needs) so moved into my Newhouse and it turns out that I can't get UPC so I arrange eircom in the house they tell me I can get 8meg ngb I say that will do as its just for browsing and downloading.

So Afew days later the router arrives and I set up my network no problem at all so I want to have a nice setup I change the eircom router with a nice high spec tp link router.

So to cut a long storey short when my computer is connected to the router via cable I'm getting 2meg speeds it's crap seriously.

So I ring eircom they go through all the checks with me stupied checks like. I work in computing also so I no what I'm doing they make me change back to there router and it's still the same I'm not getting over 2.5 meg wired or 1.3 meg wirelessly.now seriously in this day and age that isn't on the price of my bill and this is what I'm getting. I'm sorry eircom the problem is on your side so someone please sort it it's Notting to do with my set up at all

Hoping for help
    Probably depends on your line quality, just because you signed up for 8meg broadband doesn't mean you're going to get that speed all of the time, or in fact any of the time in some cases. Eircom claim to have no congestion according to their ads on tv but I don't know.
    Those speeds aren't great, I know a fella with the same package as you & he gets 7.5 meg consistently:p I even average around 3 to 3.5 meg on o2 mobile broadband.
    You said over in the motors forum you were a mechanic, not exactly in the computing sector?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 130 ✭✭Onwardandupwar

Correct I am a mechanic but I have studied computing in the evenings for the past number of years to progress my experience but in fact I am a mechanic by trade. I hope there's Notting wrong in trying to further my career in the evenings. Ya I no I won't get 8 meg but they say it's the next gen broadband but them speeds ain't great in fairness are they like. They should just said all I can get is 3 meg and I wouldn't of went with eircom so y the false advertisement.
    When they say up to 8meg you would be imagining that I'd at least be getting 6meg not 2.5meg so hoping one of the eircom reps can help me out here coz quite frankly the broadband support is useless

• Moderators, Technology & Internet Moderators Posts: 12,448 Mod ✭✭✭✭dub45

Correct I am a mechanic but I have studied computing in the evenings for the past number of years to progress my experience but in fact I am a mechanic by trade. I hope there's Notting wrong in trying to further my career in the evenings. Ya I no I won't get 8 meg but they say it's the next gen broadband but them speeds ain't great in fairness are they like. They should just said all I can get is 3 meg and I wouldn't of went with eircom so y the false advertisement.
    When they say up to 8meg you would be imagining that I'd at least be getting 6meg not 2.5meg so hoping one of the eircom reps can help me out here coz quite frankly the broadband support is useless

Your line determines what you can get - thats the basic facts. Get your line stats and then you will know what your line is capable of.

http://www.kitz.co.uk/adsl/linestats.htm

Advertisement