Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

i just realised I don't have a clue about babies.

Options
  • 18-04-2012 8:41pm
    Registered Users Posts: 12,644 ✭✭✭✭

I think the title sums up how I feel. I'm expecting our first and while I've been reading up on things and visiting pregnancy and baby forums, I haven't a clue about babies. Does it all come naturally? Will I know when it needs feeding, changing, bathing, cuddles? Please reassure me I won't break my new child in two months' time.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 6,339 ✭✭✭How Strange

lazy girl, believe me you'll know nothing to begin with and by 6 months you'll be an expert. It doesn't take long to get the hang if it mainly because you have to.

I have a much younger brother and nephews so unthought I knew lots but I soon realised I was clueless. Now my friends who've just had babies look to me for advice!

Thankfully nature makes newborn and young babies very strong and resilient so we can't break them while we learn :P

• Registered Users Posts: 110 ✭✭Shuwaaah

lazygal wrote: »
    I think the title sums up how I feel. I'm expecting our first and while I've been reading up on things and visiting pregnancy and baby forums, I haven't a clue about babies. Does it all come naturally? Will I know when it needs feeding, changing, bathing, cuddles? Please reassure me I won't break my new child in two months' time.

One word to sum this up: AMEN!!!

Im due in 5 days and Im still afraid to hold a baby in case I drop it.

However, the advice I've been given so far is along these lines: that its natural to be afraid of these things, that there's no such thing as the perfect mother and that its a learning curve for everyone, no-one is fully confident starting off. After a few weeks you'll know how to tend to your babys needs better than anyone else on the planet. As long as a baby is fed, clothed, washed and loved, that's all they need.
    Fingers crossed its all true ;-)

• Registered Users Posts: 586 ✭✭✭FANTAPANTS

it will all happen like you done it before dont worry i was the same have second 1 since 2 weeks ago you will be fine

• Registered Users Posts: 1,880 ✭✭✭caprilicious

I worked in childcare with the baby age group for years. I knew I would be fine with a baby from 4 months or older, but was so nervous of bringing a newborn home.

I'd never held a baby so small and stressed so much about all the 'what ifs' but it is so true (albeit cliched), it does all just come naturally to you.

Advertisement