Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Indie Game Watch Thread

Options
  • 18-04-2012 8:52pm
    Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭

With a bunch of great indie titles either in active development or due out reasonably soon, I thought it may be a good idea to create a thread where we can post those which have caught our eye. Not only will this be a good way of keeping track of what's in development but it may also prove useful to those folks who are considering getting their own team together to make something as it'll show them what can be done with the right team, tools and mindset. :)

So anyway, to get the ball rolling..

Gunpoint

This is a pretty awesome spy'em up being developed by Tom Francis, a journalist from PC Gamer. It's being made in Gamemaker of all things and is a fantastic example of what can be accomplished by someone without any prior development experience.

Thomas Was Alone

This one is a little bit more quirky/arty but I can't help but love what he's trying to do. The "he" in this case is another one man team in the form of Mike Bithell, a designer from Bossa Studios of Monstermind fame. The game is being developed in Unity and if you check out the website you can see one of his talks at one of the LUUG gathering.

Axiom Verge

Do you like old school Metroid? Well then you'll probably love this. This is Axiom Verge, a 2D action/explorer/Metroidvania type game being developed by Tom Happ from Petroglyph Games. This is another one-man team with him doing absolutely everything in the project, although to be fair he's pretty much an industry veteran at this stage. This one is being developed entirely in XNA for both PC and XBLIG.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 55,512 ✭✭✭✭Mr E

Nice idea for a thread.

On a related note, Eurogamer did a nice article today about what indie means. A good read...

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Axiom verge is definatly gonna be a day one buy for me. It just looks so awsome!

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Social & Fun Moderators Posts: 80,340 Mod ✭✭✭✭Sephiroth_dude

there's a game called "the town"I saw It on another forum and I can't find the thread now,anyone heard of it?

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,911 ✭✭✭aN.Droid

Check out this weird game. BE careful though as the programmer gave this warning :P
    WARNING: VIDIOT GAME MAY CAUSE BRAIN DAMAGE. PLAY AT YOUR OWN DEMISE.

link

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

• Advertisement
  • Registered Users Posts: 8,405 ✭✭✭gizmo

New trailer for Thomas Was Alone showing off more gameplay and the addition of Danny Wallace as the narrator.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 9,897 ✭✭✭MagicSean

there's a game called "the town"I saw It on another forum and I can't find the thread now,anyone heard of it?

Was it Towns? Looks promising. Like the Settlers series.

Also keep an eye on Neo Scavenger

and Project Zomboid.

All of them are in alpha but still very enjoyable.

Seems The Unfinished Swan is actually getting a proper release. A friend of mine linked me to the tech demo a couple of years ago and it was later entered into the the 2009 IGF. Seems in the meantime the developer has formed his own studio and gotten access to the Sony Pub Fund to bring it exclusively to PSN.

Looks as intriguing now as it did back then thankfully :)

• Registered Users Posts: 18,707 ✭✭✭✭K.O.Kiki

HookShot Inc. is pretty handy for keeping up with cheap/freeware games.

Just noticed this on Kickstarter and I can't help but get a Zombies/Zombies Ate My Neighbour vibe off it. Gameplay will be quite different but I'm really loving the concept art so far. My only worry is that with its cartoony style and kid characters, making it specifically a game not for kids may be a bit risky.

Zombie Playground.

• Advertisement

Lots of great indie games on sale across most platforms tomorrow. More details here:

http://www.becausewemay.com/

This may deserve a thread of its own since I can see it being pretty popular as time goes on so if the mods want to move it then so be it. In the meantime though...

StarForge

Their site is currently down after being hammered with downloads but the site, forum and torrent links are in the video info section.

Wee heads up, Thomas Was Alone is finally out! It's available through both Desura and IndieCity for £5.99/$9.99. Woot!

EDIT: It's out now :)

• Moderators, Computer Games Moderators Posts: 14,710 Mod ✭✭✭✭Dcully

Planet Explorers looks good, alpha available now.

http://pathea.net/

• Registered Users Posts: 2,378 ✭✭✭Krieg

Not a game but still relevant.

If you like indie games its definitely worth a look. I always thought indie games were just little side project/hobbies for the devs but after seeing the movie you really start to appreciate the amount of work thats put in.
    Games/devs in it are Braid, Fez, Supermeat boy and others

You can buy the doc off steam for 8 euro

Those of you who were keeping on eye on Rezzed recently may have noticed that Hotline Miami won game of the show. Definitely one to keep an eye on :)

Couple of mates were there and described it as a "hyper violent, super difficult GTA-style puzzle type thing that's ****ing awesome". :D

Pretty awesome arcade-style run and gun shooter, Intrusion2. Definitely picking this one up for the weekend. :)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 206 ✭✭Elysian

gizmo wrote: »
    Pretty awesome arcade-style run and gun shooter, Intrusion2. Definitely picking this one up for the weekend. :)

Make sure you try the demo first. I have a pretty decent rig but this game just doesn't run well for me, very jerky. I can run BF3 on full @ 1920 x 1080 fine but not this :confused: . It's a shame cause there appears to be an excellent game under the technical issues :(

• Registered Users Posts: 1,115 ✭✭✭Completionist

Has anyone else been following the development of this game?

They have just started their Kickstarter campaign and it looks like it will meet its goal within a few hours of launching!

http://kck.st/LUUWTV

This game has tons of potential if done right!

• Moderators, Category Moderators, Arts Moderators, Computer Games Moderators, Entertainment Moderators Posts: 29,430 CMod ✭✭✭✭johnny_ultimate

Dear Esther is the second best thing to happen to interactive storytelling this year (Journey owns the top spot), so I'm terribly excited about the developers' next game Everyone's Gone to the Rapture. It might even use more buttons than WASD! Kotaku just published a preview of it, and it sounds ****ing fantastic.

http://kotaku.com/5930166/now-that-dear-esther-is-done-everybodys-gone-to-the-rapture

• Advertisement

The debut trailer for Routine just showed up at Gamescom. It's a UDK powered sci-fi horror from an extremely small UK-based team. Definitely keeping an eye on this one.

Those of you who were keeping on eye on Rezzed recently may have noticed that Hotline Miami won game of the show. Definitely one to keep an eye on :)

Couple of mates were there and described it as a "hyper violent, super difficult GTA-style puzzle type thing that's ****ing awesome". :D
    10/10 from Eurogamer, woop!

New trailer for Thomas Was Alone showing off more gameplay and the addition of Danny Wallace as the narrator.

Annnnnnnnd it's now out on Steam.

This game really is ****ing ace, far more so than you can imagine based on the screenshots :)

EDIT: Those who already bought the game via Desura or direct from the website will be getting Steam keys in the mail soon it seems.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 4,997 ✭✭✭Grimebox

Krieg wrote: »
    Not a game but still relevant.

If you like indie games its definitely worth a look. I always thought indie games were just little side project/hobbies for the devs but after seeing the movie you really start to appreciate the amount of work thats put in.
    Games/devs in it are Braid, Fez, Supermeat boy and others

You can buy the doc off steam for 8 euro

Watched that a few days ago. Its very good. Seems like the game industry is an absolutely awful business to go into however. Does anybody truly enjoy it? Or are they all tortured artists?

Wasn't sure whether to post this here or in Gaming News but since it's being self published and involved crowd funding I guess here will do. :)

Strike Suit Zero out 24th January 2013!

Love me some space action games, omnomnomnom.

For those unaware of what this is..

I've got a bunch of games to post here soon but in the meantime, the student nominations for the IGF awards just got posted today and one of them in particular caught my eye, Blackwell's Asylum.

Looks pretty neat, especially for something that was made in only six weeks by a bunch of students.

The demo is available either directly from their site or on Steam.

A mate of mine was at an IGDA meeting in Montreal and called out two games he found particularly interesting.

First up is Mercenary Kings, a game that has has gotten some press coverage already due to not only its Kickstarter campaign but also the fact that Metal Slug-esque gameplay with RPG and crafting elements generally tends to be something folk find curious. :)

Of more interest to me personally though is A.N.N.E, a game I haven't heard anything about until now. By the looks of it, it's a Metroidvania type game but with some freeform ship-based shooting thrown in too.

Here's a video from the (sole) developers presentation from said event.

Saw one of the guys in work playing this yesterday and it looks pretty damn neat. Procedurally generated levels with dynamic difficulty and a whole bunch of content so there'll be plenty of playtime in there.

There's currently a Kickstarter for the project here with a demo available on IndieDB here. It's also up on Steam Greenlight here.

This one is skipping Kickstarter and going straight to Greenlight so I thought I'd chuck it in here. Looks like awesome fun and definitely one worth keeping an eye on if you like/miss fun local co-op games. :D

Gang Beasts - Greenlight

• Advertisement

Project Adventure Game, currently free on Desura (not sure if it's always free).
    Nice little retro platformer, metroidvania/La Mulana style.

Trailer:

First 5 minutes:

Download here (click "Install" and "Download Direct")

Advertisement