Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Transferring from one college to another?

Options
  • 18-04-2012 9:26pm
    Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭

I'm currently a 1st year mature student at WIT. Due to personal circumstances, it would be best if I moved to Cork, however I'm committed to my studies, and it took a long time to get into a position where I can return to full time education, so I'm very reluctant to give it up.

Does anyone know if it's possible to transfer from a degree course in an IT to a similar course (points and FETAC level similar) in either CIT or UCC and what the criteria would be?

Any assistance would be appreciated, I know that transferring colleges is not a normal or done thing really, but I would like to look into it further, even if it's to convince myself once and for all that it's not doable.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 2,280 ✭✭✭paperclip2

It can be done but depends on the course you are doing and the course you want to transfer into as well as the transfer policies of the colleges concerned. You could talk to the head of your dept and see what they say.

• Registered Users Posts: 453 ✭✭dashboard_hula

Well I've spoken to UCC and CIT today and apparently there is a process - it's called an Inter Institutional Transfer and applications open in May - UCC will send me one then.

The important part is that the course I want to transfer to "matches" if at all possible the one I'm on currently. I'm still not sure if I can transfer into the 2nd year of a course instead of starting over again, nor am I sure if the exam that I had to waive this semester to take in August for medical reasons will cause any trip-ups.

I'll see how I get on. I hope it'll be possible this year, as I imagine transferring 2 years into a degree wouldn't be any easier.

Advertisement