Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Zyxel Modem Causing Problems

Options
  • 18-04-2012 9:50pm
    Registered Users Posts: 881 ✭✭✭

Hi, I've been an Eircom BB customer for a good few years and I haven't had any major issues other than the speeds not being as high as I would like but i know you cant help that.

But last week we started getting some problems with the connection dropping out and then disappearing entirely. We rang Eircom on Friday, an engineer came out on Monday and worked out the router was the issue so he swapped out the netopia router for the dreaded Zyxel router and so far we've had nothing but problems.

First the broadband speed would drop over the space of an hour right down to 0.03 Mbps. I updated the firmware from zyxel and now anything connected on the wifi gets disconnected after ~20 mins.

Both of these are known issues with the Zyxel router (as can be seen on Boards.ie) so do eircom offer an alternative router that works or do we have to go and pick one up ourselves for ~€60? I got a loan of a friends netgear router and it works perfectly. The only other alternative is to go with UPC for higher speeds, lower bills and a free router, customer service isn't as good but when money is tight its not the deciding factor.

Comments

• Closed Accounts Posts: 3,441 ✭✭✭eircom: Mark

Neilos wrote: »
    Hi, I've been an Eircom BB customer for a good few years and I haven't had any major issues other than the speeds not being as high as I would like but i know you cant help that.

But last week we started getting some problems with the connection dropping out and then disappearing entirely. We rang Eircom on Friday, an engineer came out on Monday and worked out the router was the issue so he swapped out the netopia router for the dreaded Zyxel router and so far we've had nothing but problems.

First the broadband speed would drop over the space of an hour right down to 0.03 Mbps. I updated the firmware from zyxel and now anything connected on the wifi gets disconnected after ~20 mins.

Both of these are known issues with the Zyxel router (as can be seen on Boards.ie) so do eircom offer an alternative router that works or do we have to go and pick one up ourselves for ~€60? I got a loan of a friends netgear router and it works perfectly. The only other alternative is to go with UPC for higher speeds, lower bills and a free router, customer service isn't as good but when money is tight its not the deciding factor.

Hi Neilos,

Can you PM me with your telephone number so I can check the case history with support and run a few checks on the broadband with the Zyxel connected.

Thanks, Mark

• Closed Accounts Posts: 1,138 ✭✭✭eircom: Ant

Neilos wrote: »

Hi Neilos,

Thanks for your post. The following links on the eircom Forum may be helpful in improving your overall broadband connection.

http://bit.ly/BBChecks

and

Improve Your Wireless

eircom Technical Support currently only offer the ZyXEL modem. There should be no need update the firmware on the modem, as it should already be updated. Infact it may cause connection problems if you download the wrong firmware update.

It is important also, if you do decide to update your modem firmware, that it is done in the correct version sequence. Depending on what version of the firmware you installed may have the effect of negating the overall software.

The following link on the eircom Support website will direct you to the correct firmware update.

http://broadbandsupport.eircom.net/download/zyxel/

In a lot of cases the modem itself may not be the source of your connection problems. The eircom neptopia and ZyXEL modems are standard broadband modems and obviously there are higher spec modems available, offering more advanced features. You can use your own router, though make sure that it is Adsl compatible before you go to any expense purchasing an expensive wireless modem.

Speaking frankly, wireless connectivity sounds an objective way of connecting computer devices to the Internet. Some manufacturers will use their owe wireless software and hardware adaptors, which are often specific to their wireless equipment. Other vendors will also use a specific wireless encryption mode, which may not be compatible or even connect over more advanced encryption types. Some Games console manufacturers require the firewall on the router lowered before they make a connection to the Internet. A few Internet providers will not even support your broadband, unless it is connected over Ethernet cable.

Generally wireless modems will offer around 30 metres, line of sight wireless, connections. Some modems may be as affected more or less, by wireless devices connected near by (e.g: cordless phones, or a neighbour's TV sendors etc.). The above links on the eircom Forum may also help you with changing the wireless channel on the modem, which may off set other devices interferring with your local wireless signal.

You should contact eircom Technical Support if you are experiencing intermittent sync or connection problems. They will be able to assess your broadband and check the attenuation and noise margin, as well as checking your connection over the authentication servers. This will indicate if your modem is actually disconnecting or if something else may be happening. They will also need to look at what your broadband line prequalifies for. If your broadband is set too high they may need to lower the profile to allow for better throughput.

Another option which is becoming increasingly popular is the use of third party wireless repeaters or extenders. The above link may help you with this and there is a lot of discussion online on the subject of boosting weak or poor wireless - Improve Your Wireless

My advice, if you are using wireless to connect to the internet, connect your computer to the modem with the yellow ethernet cable first, if possible. This will eliminate any wireless related problems which may affect your connection.

Once you have established a solid Ethernet connection, I would then advise that you look at your wireless setup and try the tips outlined above.

Broadband Technical Support : 1890 260260 (locall); Hours : 08:00 - 22:00 (7 days).

Please retain your case id /reference from Technical Support, as this will speed up your call and help if you need to follow this up. Alternatively, PM your case id and I will follow this up with Technical Support.

Best wishes,
    Ant

• Registered Users Posts: 892 ✭✭✭Ben1977

Hi Neilos,

Did your netopia router just drop the connection intermittently and then some times for a hour or so? I think we may have the same issue. Thinking of UPC ourselves as I've heard good reports

Advertisement