Advertisement
If you have a new account but are having problems posting or verifying your account, please email us on hello@boards.ie for help. Thanks :)
Hello all! Please ensure that you are posting a new thread or question in the appropriate forum. The Feedback forum is overwhelmed with questions that are having to be moved elsewhere. If you need help to verify your account contact hello@boards.ie

Your Favourite Musical City and Why

Options
  • 18-04-2012 10:39pm
    Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭

Quite a lot of cities around the world have spawned ground-breaking musical scenes over the decades and some with their own distinct sound. So what is your favourite musical city and why? Which eras and bands swing your vote?

For me it's probably going to be Glasgow. If you're an indie nerd like me it's pretty obvious. The city and it's satellite towns have spawned an astonishing indie legacy with bands like Orange Juice, Lloyd Cole & The Commotions, The Wake, The Jesus and Mary Chain, The Pastels, Primal Scream, Teenage Fanclub, The Blue Nile among many others, right up to Belle and Sebastian and Camera Obscura. When I think Glasgow I think jangly guitars and infectious melodies and music that puts a smile on my face.

Comments

• Registered Users Posts: 12,891 ✭✭✭✭Rothko

I think mine would be New York since it's spawned so many great and interesting artists.

The Velvet Underground
    Sonic Youth
    Television
    Richard Hell & The Voidoids
    The Ramones
    Nas
    The Notorious B.I.G.
    The Wu-Tang Clan
    Blondie
    Talking Heads
    Patti Smith
    The Strokes
    Beastie Boys
    Silver Apples
    New York Dolls

My second favourite would be Manchester with acts like the Stone Roses, Joy Division, New Order, Oasis, Inspiral Carpets, The Smiths, The Fall, The Charlatans, The Buzzcocks, Doves, The Chemical Brothers and the Happy Mondays.

• Moderators, Music Moderators Posts: 11,373 Mod ✭✭✭✭lordgoat

chicago -

n'orleans.... where music comes alive,

i'll expand tomorrow

• Closed Accounts Posts: 10,375 ✭✭✭✭kunst nugget

Oh, it has to London, for giving us the wonderful Menswear, Razorlight, Sleeper, Towers of London, Scouting for Girls and Blazin' Squad.

• Registered Users Posts: 4,737 ✭✭✭delbertgrady

Oh, it has to London, for giving us the wonderful Menswear, Razorlight, Sleeper, Towers of London, Scouting for Girls and Blazin' Squad.

I could be wrong, but I detect some sarcasm here.

2024 Gigs and Events: David Suchet, Depeche Mode, Orchestral Manoeuvres in the Dark, The Smile, Pixies, Liam Gallagher John Squire/Jake Bugg, Kacey Musgraves (x2), Olivia Rodrigo, Mitski, Muireann Bradley, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Eric Clapton, Girls Aloud, Bruce Springsteen and the E Street Band, Rewind Festival, The Smashing Pumpkins/Weezer, Henry Winkler, P!nk, Pearl Jam/Richard Ashcroft, Taylor Swift/Paramore, Suede/Manic Street Preachers, Muireann Bradley, AC/DC, Deacon Blue/Altered Images, The The, blink-182, Coldplay, Gilbert O'Sullivan, Nick Lowe, David Gilmour, ABBA Voyage, St. Vincent, Public Service Broadcasting, Crash Test Dummies, Cassandra Jenkins.

2025 Gigs and Events: Billie Eilish (x2)

• Registered Users Posts: 6,106 ✭✭✭Technocentral

Come on now, only one possible answer: Manchester and thats thanks to Factory Records, its influence on indie and dance/rock crossover is immeasurable. A close second is the Big Apple.

• Advertisement
  • Closed Accounts Posts: 7,863 ✭✭✭seachto7

Seattle for me.

• Closed Accounts Posts: 6,543 ✭✭✭JerryHandbag

Another vote for Manchester here, so many great bands.

• Registered Users Posts: 2,883 ✭✭✭smokedeels

Chicago...

Touch and Go records, Thrill Jockey and Drag City Records all based out of there...

And of course Electrical Audio, where some of my all time favorite records have been made. Steve Albini's output in general.

Manchester is number too, the quality of bands that city has produced is astounding: The Fall, Joy Division, The Chameleons, to name but a few.

Also, I dig Manchester for several non-music related reasons.

smokedeels wrote: »
    Manchester is number too, the quality of bands that city has produced is astounding: The Fall, Joy Division, The Chameleons, to name but a few.

And don't forget Starsailor, M People, Northern Uproar, Northside and Elkie Brooks.

I'd give Sheffield a vote too. Any town that is home to Cabaret Voltaire, Warp Records and Def Leppard is alright in my books.

New York really blazed a trail in the late 60s through to the 80s though with the emergence of hip hop and dance music, punk rock, punk jazz, new wave, no wave and on and on. Even if the music doesn't really float your boat, it is a fascinating history.

And don't forget Starsailor, M People, Northern Uproar, Northside and Elkie Brooks.

I'd give Sheffield a vote too. Any town that is home to Cabaret Voltaire, Warp Records and Def Leppard is alright in my books.

New York really blazed a trail in the late 60s through to the 80s though with the emergence of hip hop and dance music, punk rock, punk jazz, new wave, no wave and on and on. Even if the music doesn't really float your boat, it is a fascinating history.

M People? wtf?

• Advertisement

lordgoat wrote: »
    M People? wtf?

Surely, they deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Northside and Northern Uproar?

Surely, they deserve to be mentioned in the same breath as Northside and Northern Uproar?

I was horrified at starsailor, i limped to M People and stopped reading after that.

you've got a sick sense of humour. well played. ;)

• Closed Accounts Posts: 2,113 ✭✭✭SilverScreen

New York would definitely be up there. The late 70's/early 80's was a brilliant period for New York with bands like Talking Heads, Blondie, Television, Sonic Youth, Swans, Bush Tetras and the whole no-wave scene with bands like Teenage Jesus & The Jerks, DNA and Glenn Branca. And even in more recent times you have good bands like The Strokes, The Antlers, A Place To Bury Strangers and LCD Soundsystem.
    *Ahem* AND Pulp :)

Zero1986 wrote: »
    *Ahem* AND Pulp :)

I was going to mention them but the awesomeness of Def Leppard eclipsed them. Along with the Human League, Heaven 17, ABC, Arctic Monkeys, Richard Hawley, etc...

• Registered Users Posts: 7,247 ✭✭✭HalloweenJack

Detroit = Motown.

• Registered Users Posts: 72,737 ✭✭✭✭Welsh Megaman

Leicester = Showaddywaddy

/thread

• Registered Users Posts: 7,457 ✭✭✭Blisterman

Leicester = Showaddywaddy

/thread

And of course the living legend that is Engelbert Humperdink!

• Registered Users Posts: 9,416 ✭✭✭Jimmy Iovine

Compton:
    Dr Dre
    Eazy E
    DJ Quik
    Ice Cube
    NWA

Advertisement